What's new

Section 2 - DE VS Straight - Which one for me?

full

DE or Straight Razor?

Well just a touch of background info before I delve into this topic headfirst. I started out; right from Gillette Mach III, right to a Pearlex handled Dovo 5/8th’s straight razor. No instruction, no background knowledge, and no real knowledge of honing & stropping. RIGHT off the bat I began getting superior shaves (to my mach III) – threw out my Mach III and never looked back. I purchased a straight razor, as the Mach III gave me terrible irritation, ingrown hairs, and just plumb didn’t provide me with a close shave… unless I REALLY wanted to put my skin thru a beating to get it. I liked the idea of having a setup that was wholly self reliant, and would be a permanent solution to my woe’s – without having to purchase new blades, worry about them discontinuing the razor handle/blades, etc. Not only was it practical in my eyes – but also it had an incredibly neat appeal to it…. I was hooked.

P1010022.JPG

About a month or two after having shaved with a straight razor my roommate at the time was quite interested in all of this wet shaving hubbub, and decided to purchase a Merkur Futur, Col. Conk pure badger brush, and some Col. Conk soap. When it arrived, he was terrified to try it, as once he saw the “raw blade” that would be put up against his face, he pushed it towards me and suggested I try it first, since I had been shaving with a straight razor – this would be second nature. Well the first stroke I took with this razor loaded with a Merkur blade, I thought to myself “Damn, I must be doing this wrong, as I didn’t hear/feel this *** cut a damn thing.” Well – I touched the area, and stopped dead….. holy crap! Not only did it shave that area, but also it was the closest I had ever experienced. A few minutes later, I had experienced a shave that simply embarrassed the Dovo Pearlex’s performance in terms comfort, closeness, quality, consistency, and ease of performance.
P1010101.JPG

Long experience short – I realized my straight razor was not nearly as sharp as it could, and should be. After acquiring a plethora of straight razors, hones, pasted strops, razors honed by “pro’s” I finally got it down, and was eventually able to get superior, longer lasting shaves with straight razors, but it took quite a hefty dedication of time, effort, discomfort, and money. Now, it doesn’t necessarily take a lot of money to get a good shave from a straight razor, but probably more so than the average DE setup. The big cost is in time. Within a few weeks, you can get incredible shaves with a DE… with a straight – it’ll take months before you are getting shaves as close as you could/would within a week or two with a DE.
P1010332.JPG

So why use a straight razor?
Well it is my opinion and experience, that NOTHING, let me repeat, NOTHING will provide a closer, more comfortable shave than a properly honed straight razor. To hell with wacky gimmicky Feather Straight razors, Merkur Visions, Slant Bars, etc – the right straight razor will deliver them all a hefty plate of comeuppance. I also liken the straight razor to piloting a sports car with a manual transmission thru a volley of twisty mountain roads versus a double edge as romping thru the twisties in an auto-tranny 1960’s muscle car. Fun, but not too elegant, a bit clunky, not too precise, and surely no “passion” or excitement involved. The straight razor is an experience, a journey with a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction and accomplishment at the wheel. Many have/will try a straight razor and quit. Quite frankly, it is not a tool for everyone… heck for most people.
P1010003.JPG

So if a straight razor is so good, why use a DE?
Well – compared to modern methods of shaving, a DE is leaps and bounds ahead of the pack. It is much less costly to operate, more fun, provides a significantly closer shave than other modern alternatives, with zero irritation (when done properly) and dramatically cuts down and usually eliminates ingrown hairs. With DE’s is also a very short learning curve; ridiculously inexpensive and incredibly sharp blades readily available (hear the toll of the convenience bell ringing?). You get up in the morning, lather up, and run the thing around your face, end of story. When a blade gets dull – to the waste bin it goes. Simple, easy, cut and dry. A DE is simply a tool with which to mow facial hair. A Straight is more of an ornamental piece of history/art. Think a TV Dinner VS a home cooked meal.
P1010013.JPG

Now I am confused… so what do I do?
Personally I use both and depending on my schedule – how early I have to get up, and so on and so forth – I use one more than another. For instance, while in college, without question I would use a DE more frequently. 8 out of 10 times I used a DE, as it was just so quick and easy and worked wonderfully. Straight razors I relegated to special occasions, times when I had a large block of time in the morning, or when I was just in the “mood” for a straight razor shave. Since I have graduated – I have almost exclusively used straight razors, as I have had more time, and more interest in using my beautiful straight razors. Frankly, I just have more fun using my straight razors and I now make sure I have the time every morning to enjoy them.
What if you already use a DE and are getting superlative shaves? I personally feel that if you were weaned on a DE razor, you have a greatly diminished chance of being successful with a straight razor. If your current DE methods are providing you with outstanding shaves, you will be quickly deterred by the seemingly “mediocre” results you will achieve with the straight razor for a month – possibly MONTHS. By “cleaning up” with a DE after shaving with a straight, you cheat yourself, as you are not forcing yourself into learning the areas that need more work, and you change how the hair is cut (using different blades), etc and will never be truly happy with your straight razor shaves. To give straight razors a legitimate go, means completely switching to a straight razor for UP TO 2-3 months depending on how quickly you pick it up, the razor, strop, your stropping abilities, how sharp the razor is, etc. Most guy who have switched to DE’s and are happy with their routine, cannot/will not sacrifice the quality of their shaves for a day, let alone month(s) to learn a new method – so for most of you who fall into this category, unless you have a DEEP desire, I recommend not taking the plunge. Don’t get me wrong – my goal is not to talk you out of it, but rather give you a reality check, and make you ask yourself, how important is it to me, and WHY do I want to make the switch when I already have the time, money and skill invested into my DE rig?
P1010073.JPG

Well I want to try a straight razor and I want to know if I like it before I invest all the time/money into a “real” straight razor – what about those razors you put disposable blades in, like a Feather or a Shavette?
Don’t. Listen, just don’t. Few things in the realm of shaving have been so “on and off” than those damn feathers. I have packs of blades that are incredibly inconsistent (some will rip your face off and turn your visage into a blood bath and others will work wonders). The feather is also incredibly boring to use, much more so than a double edge. Also – due to the sharpness of this razor, it is SOOO easy to cut yourself time and time again. I got to the point where I was receiving wonderful, consistent shaves, and then every so often I’d get a blade that would just literally SHRED my face, which ruins the whole experience. As you can see from my SOTD’s, I just about never use the thing anymore. Some guys really enjoy them – they are good for certain gents I suppose, and they will provide a shave on par (closeness) with a straight razor, but the closeness of the shave will not last as long as a bona fide straight razor, at least for me.
P1010333.JPG

Synopsis…
What do you want out of your shaving experience - Fun? Comfort? Efficacy? Self-sufficiency? Economy? Convenience? The simple fact of the matter is an outstanding DE shave is going to be about on par with a straight razor shave in terms of how smooth your face will feel, but a straight razor shave will have more “lasting power.” If you are happy with your current DE regime I wouldn’t really suggest you deviate unless you have some major burr that needs cleansing :scared: I personally feel the straight razor EXPERIENCE is superior to that of a double edge across the bar, save for “Convenience” – but not so superior that we should prod the masses to swap their trusty DE’s for straight razors.

DE or Straight – which one for you? Simple – if you just want a really good shave, save yourself a lot of time, effort and trouble, and get yourself a DE… you won’t be disappointed. If you want to shave with a straight for the “allure” or for the ultimate results/experience, or simply just because you have a wild hair and nothing is going to get in your way – don’t waste your time OR money on a double edge razor, as that will simply get you off track and it won’t scratch your itch.

If you’re still itchy – Read on for some scratchin’ Section 3

PROCEED TO THE NEXT SECTION OF THE GUIDE - Section 3 - Ok, I want a straight razor, what do I need?

BACK TO THE TABLE OF CONTENTS

Last edited by a moderator:
>The simple fact of the matter is an outstanding DE shave is going to be about on par with a straight razor shave in terms of how smooth your face will feel, but a straight razor shave will have more “lasting power.”<

joel

i've enjoyed reading through your articles. i appreciate your taking the time to put this together.

i started DE shaving last fall, and have enjoyed it. for several months i've considered give str8s a try.

recently i came across a post by someone who said that they were an accomplished str8 user, and that his experience was that results with a str8 can't quite equal that of a DE (although the "fun factor" of a str8 was high). he went on to say that most str8 users believe they have the ultimate shave only because they are not accomplished DE shavers.

i realize that a lot of this is a YMMV issue but my question to you is, in your experience do you believe that MOST people end up getting an equivalent or superior shave with a str8? i'm attracted to the other aspects as well but if i could not at least eventually equal what i'm getting with a DE i would not want to take it up.

hope that was clear and again i appreciate your expertise.

>The simple fact of the matter is an outstanding DE shave is going to be about on par with a straight razor shave in terms of how smooth your face will feel, but a straight razor shave will have more &#8220;lasting power.&#8221;<

joel

i've enjoyed reading through your articles. i appreciate your taking the time to put this together.

i started DE shaving last fall, and have enjoyed it. for several months i've considered give str8s a try.

recently i came across a post by someone who said that they were an accomplished str8 user, and that his experience was that results with a str8 can't quite equal that of a DE (although the "fun factor" of a str8 was high). he went on to say that most str8 users believe they have the ultimate shave only because they are not accomplished DE shavers.

i realize that a lot of this is a YMMV issue but my question to you is, in your experience do you believe that MOST people end up getting an equivalent or superior shave with a str8? i'm attracted to the other aspects as well but if i could not at least eventually equal what i'm getting with a DE i would not want to take it up.

hope that was clear and again i appreciate your expertise.

First - let me say, that while you may be THE most accomplished straight razor SHAVER - you still might not be the most accomplished honemeister, or have the ability to strop all that wonderfully. What I am getting at is - while this self proclaimed "accomplished" straight razor shaver might feel he is accomplished (and may be) he is obviously lacking in some areas.

The simple fact of the matter is - you cannot get a CLOSER shave than a straight razor, for 2 primary reasons - 1.) It uses a much higher quality of steel - with an edge that is supported with greater ridgidity 2.) You can constantly and easily change angles before, during and after each motion you take with a straight razor..... on a DE you cannot - unless you have an adjustable, and NO one is adjusting their adjustable DE 50-100 times throughout their shave.

Now, I've been shaving with an electric for a few days now (due to a test I am doing) and couldn't stand the results I was getting - and had to break out one of my straight razors, a Robert Williams 10/8 in Giraffe bone, and in a matter of minutes, I had the smoothest, most irritation free and enjoyable shaves one could possibly attain. After the shave, I could feel with the grain - against the grain, ANYWHERE on my cheeks, neck, chin, jawline etc I feel is absolutly 100&#37; smooth as can possibly be. Even adding pressue - I could not feel ANY stubble, ANYWHERE. Now, I have at least 800 DE shaves under my belt - so I can hardly be considered inexperienced, and I can get a shave that close with a DE - however right now as I type - 5 hours after I finished my straight razor shave, my face is still exceptionally smooth and only in 1 very little area on the lower center of my neck can I feel stubble starting to form - but ONLY rubbing my hands against the direction of beard growth, and using pressure - with light pressure, it's still smooth as glass. With a DE, this would not be the case, after 5 hours or so, I would be able to feel the beginnings of hair growth on quite a decent sized areas on my face when using pressure against the grain of hair growth.

Now - here's the big difference though.... It took me about a month of fiddling around with the RW to get it tuned up to the point where it is as buttery smooth as it currently is (and i'd submit it wouldn't be possible to make it any more so) and I own 10+ hones, all sorts of pastes, strops, sharpening papers, lapping equipment, you name it. To boot, I have 5 years of straight razor shaving and honing experience - so to answer your question - you can absolutly get as good, or better results than possible with a DE, as you are able to control more variables.

As previously stated though - it's something that takes time, effort and dedication. A DE for most can be mastered in a matter of weeks, where as a straight razor I would almost go as far as to say - cannot be "mastered" as you almost always can/will learn more everytime you use it, hone it, etc - which is part of the allure. You CAN however expect to get results as good as a DE provided you are willing to commit the time/effort to do so, for some this may take months.... for others - a year.

I've helped a lot of fellas get started with straight razors and I've helped a lot of people get started with DE's, and I've found with DE's 99% of the people who start with a DE - love it and are hooked as it has a short learning curve, and they see quick results. With straight razors - it's 50-50, either the fella uses it for a short period of time and goes back to DE's because he is not willing to put in the time/effort/commitment, or he ends up moving to using a straight razor the majority of the time.

One thing to take note of.... how many people have you heard of on the forums who are straight razor users who experimented and tried DE for the first time, and decided DE's were the best route? Almost none. Now, how many DE users are their that tried a straight razor - and are now primarily straight razor shavers? Quite a few.

People go with straight razors for a reason... they're better. Comparing DE VS Straight - both of which at 100% of their ability - while the difference is marginal, and while there is a price you pay (convienience, greater $ expense, time, etc) for going the route of the straight razor - it is nonetheless superior.

thanks, joel. very thorough reply.

i think i'm going to have to find out for myself. :smile:

time to start looking for a razor.

This question is for anyone out there (but I know Joel has spoken about his experiences with the Feather AC RG):

I am currently exlcusively using a Merkur HD (have used all different blades and Feathers seem to be the best at least for my taste). In the past I have used "real" str8s, but was mostly turned off b/c of the time investment, and the maintenance needed (I knew all of this going into it, but grew tired of it) - I honestly loved the idea of using the DE until the blade got dull, and then replacing it for only .50 cents or so.

I recently began thinking of getting a Feather AC RG (as other than the aesthetics of the teak wood scales of the DX, I can't see why the price difference - I know the blade holder is SS vs. brass, but c'mon!) and have read some good feedback about how well it works as long as you use no pressure and a smaller blade angle. Any justification in going for a DX vs. RG?

But then I came across this post by joel saying not to invest in the Feather - "Don't do it" is what I think you said. Just so I know whether to make the investment or not, if you know I am one who does not want to fuss with honing, stropping, etc., but likes the idea of str8 shaving, should I go for the Feather, or simiply stick to my DE?

Any and all opinions are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks, gents. :biggrin:

stick with your DE

+1

Personally, for me the DX's shave better for some reason, and feel/look much nicer.

Regardless - a feather straight sidesteps the whole auspices of why you'd want to shave with a straight razor - making the exercise moot.

Even the RG model with the teak handle will set you back $150 - NOT including any blades. For the same $ as JUST the handle, you could get 250+ feather blades from the most expensive source online - which assuming 1 blade per week (and with feathers, I am sure most can get more out of a blade than that) - that would be almost 5 years of shaves.

The cost per shave is a cheaper with DE's, you have a wide selection of types/brands of blades, and it is far easier/quicker to use... with the first 2-3 shaves with a feather straight - you make ANY errors, and you pay for it in blood - so if you're in a hurry, you'll definatly NOT want to use it.

Do I have feather straights? 2 right now, a DX Japanese model (straight handle) and a DX Teakwood. Do I use/recommend them? No, not really. For some guys out there, they are great - and they love 'em, but for me, they're expensive, not much fun to use, and somewhat pointless.

The reason you'd want to go with a straight razor this day an age is for a throwback to times of yore, keeping a lost art alive, self sustainability, and fun. Replacement bladed razors are done out of speed/convienience, and for that - the feather straight razor simply cannot hang.

Well, I lack Joel's experience in straights and Artist Clubs both, but I tend to agree. I do own a feather AC RG, and have used it a few times. Once even without blood.... Which is not an easy feat. I mean, I wouldn't go into it scared or anything. It is not that scary to use - if you are remotely careful you aren't going to open any arteries or anything. It is just crazy crazy crazy sharp, so it is even easier to create small nicks and weepers with than a traditional straight.

Some guys love them, so, if there was something about shaving with a straight that you liked, other than the traditionalist aspects, maybe.... And some guys claim a closer shave with one than anything else. Which I am inclined to believe AS close as anything else. Like I said, the blades are SHARP, and there is nothing in the way of a super close shave.

Still, I really see no advantage over a DE. Feather DE blades are just as sharp, and should be able to yield just as close a shave, in a razor that you agree well with. So basically, I see the AC as a pain in the tail to use, with no real upside over a DE. Well, except a slight advantage in trimming sideburns, but that hardly counts for much. Unless you use a slant, DEs are actually pretty good at that too.

-Mo

thanks for the feedback, fellas. if anyone else wants to chime in that would be great, but from what I am hearing so far, I will stick to my HD and just buy Feather blades.

where would one go to get the cheapest Feathers? Cottonblossomcrafts is no longer in stock and they tell me it may not be for a very long time. I know that Em's Place has a 10 pack for $4.95....and I gonna get much better than that anywhere else?

where would one go to get the cheapest Feathers? Cottonblossomcrafts is no longer in stock and they tell me it may not be for a very long time. I know that Em's Place has a 10 pack for $4.95....and I gonna get much better than that anywhere else?

Hmm.... That price from Em's is high. That's more than I pay for Swedes, in fact. Has to be somewhere.... I got my feathers from Pauldog at SMF. His price was definitely way better than that. You might check with him and see if he still deals in them.

-Mo

Keith,

Voice of a dissenter speaking.

I am one of the gents that love the Feather AC. I get irritation free, 2 pass shaves on both my face and scalp through exclusive use of the AC. I have a full collection of Double Edges, after a bout of RAD, but I feel no desire to go back to the DE.

When I started with the AC, a face and head shave would take close to an hour. Now I can do both in half an hour (every other day). The shaves are so close that I would be shaving predominantly skin 24 hours after a shave. Shaveable stubble is not there until about 36 hours, which allows me to shave every other day. I also would characterize my shaves as leaving my face “glass smooth”. The 2 pass AC shave can do for me what a 3 or 4 pass DE shave did, but in less time and with less possibility for irritation.

The Feather AC community is very small, but there are a few of us that exclusively use the AC after mastering it. Is the AC for everyone? Definitely not. But please note that failure at using the AC will probably come for the same reasons that you would fail at using a traditional straight or DE…..lack of perseverance. My observation is that newbies are typically encouraged to “hang in there” while trying to master a DE or traditional straight, but when it comes to the AC they are encouraged “Not to try it” or hurry up and move onto the so called “real thing”. Whereas I have close to 1 year exclusively using the AC, most shavers that have used the AC and dismissed it have several weeks or at best a few months non-exclusive experience using it. Due to the lack of encouragement surrounding the AC, our small community tends to support each other, usually through private PMs.

I can understand that some that have tried the AC will still prefer to use a DE or traditional straight. Maybe the AC requires too much concentration or a person feels they are missing out on the total straight experience, but I think it is a disservice to tell interested members that they cannot master the AC and get great shaves, no matter how hard they try, so therefore it is not even worth a trial.

I can unequivocally say that the AC can be mastered and give one a great shave, but not everyone will reach this level of mastery. I have heard people say the same statement can be said for traditional straights, or even a DE. It is possible you also won’t reach this level of mastery with an AC, but if you do, reach up and stroke your glass smooth face and don’t let anyone take away your great shave.

Keith,

Voice of a dissenter speaking.

I am one of the gents that love the Feather AC. I get irritation free, 2 pass shaves on both my face and scalp through exclusive use of the AC. I have a full collection of Double Edges, after a bout of RAD, but I feel no desire to go back to the DE.

When I started with the AC, a face and head shave would take close to an hour. Now I can do both in half an hour (every other day). The shaves are so close that I would be shaving predominantly skin 24 hours after a shave. Shaveable stubble is not there until about 36 hours, which allows me to shave every other day. I also would characterize my shaves as leaving my face “glass smooth”. The 2 pass AC shave can do for me what a 3 or 4 pass DE shave did, but in less time and with less possibility for irritation.

The Feather AC community is very small, but there are a few of us that exclusively use the AC after mastering it. Is the AC for everyone? Definitely not. But please note that failure at using the AC will probably come for the same reasons that you would fail at using a traditional straight or DE…..lack of perseverance. My observation is that newbies are typically encouraged to “hang in there” while trying to master a DE or traditional straight, but when it comes to the AC they are encouraged “Not to try it” or hurry up and move onto the so called “real thing”. Whereas I have close to 1 year exclusively using the AC, most shavers that have used the AC and dismissed it have several weeks or at best a few months non-exclusive experience using it. Due to the lack of encouragement surrounding the AC, our small community tends to support each other, usually through private PMs.

I can understand that some that have tried the AC will still prefer to use a DE or traditional straight. Maybe the AC requires too much concentration or a person feels they are missing out on the total straight experience, but I think it is a disservice to tell interested members that they cannot master the AC and get great shaves, no matter how hard they try, so therefore it is not even worth a trial.

I can unequivocally say that the AC can be mastered and give one a great shave, but not everyone will reach this level of mastery. I have heard people say the same statement can be said for traditional straights, or even a DE. It is possible you also won’t reach this level of mastery with an AC, but if you do, reach up and stroke your glass smooth face and don’t let anyone take away your great shave.

Ricardo,
No one in this thread - or rather anywhere on the forum I have seen has said you cannot or will not get superlative shaves from the AC. The "majority" contend while an effective razor - they have too many downfalls - such as blade availability (If feather stops making blades for the AC - AC users are hosed) - their less than forgiving reputation, and their cost. When a feather DE blade is just as sharp and less expensive - it just makes the AC a niche product.

I feel there is a niche group for them, and die-hard feather users such as yourself, but - the universal sales position for a feather is quite muddy and not too clear. Their sales pitch is - if you want to shave with a straight, but do no maintenence, use a feather... BUT the primary difference between straight razors, and DE's/Cartridges/Etc - is the ability to control the nature and sharpness of the blades edge, so it somewhat defeats the purpose.

Does a feather straight work superbly? YES! Is it more difficult to master than a traditional straight? NO! BUT - it does answer a question no one really asked.

At least for me, and many members here - there is no unique selling point. The blades are as sharp as DE blades - albeit a little thicker and more expensive, and are proprietary - which is a tremendous downfall. Since mastering a feather loaded DE is much faster/easier and less costly (both in blood and actual $) and does not require investing in proprietary equipment (if they stop making the blades, the feather straight would be as useful as owning a Sony Beta video tape player) - the DE option just seems to make quite a bit more sense for most users.

Whereas I have close to 1 year exclusively using the AC, most shavers that have used the AC and dismissed it have several weeks or at best a few months non-exclusive experience using it.

Fair point.

I think it is a disservice to tell interested members that they cannot master the AC and get great shaves, no matter how hard they try, so therefore it is not even worth a trial.

I certainly do not mean to imply anything of the sort. I have no doubt that you can get exceptional shaves out of the thing, with a little dedicated practice.

And I think if it is something that appeals to you, then you should DEFINITELY give it a serious try for an extended period of time, because the first few shaves, or maybe even the first month, will almost certainly not give an adequate taste of what it can do.

My opinion is just that. For me, I just do not see the point. But I suppose it does offer the edge control of a straight with the disposal convenience of a DE. I just find the thing very, well, dull, beside the beauty and history of a straight. I have one straight that dates to the time of the War. No not that War. Or that one. The Civil War. And another new custom on the way from Robert Williams. To me, the Feather just cannot come close to comparing to either of those on coolness factor. It looks more like a sterile surgical instrument.

-Mo

No one in this thread - or rather anywhere on the forum I have seen has said you cannot or will not get superlative shaves from the AC. .

If the AC is a tool that can give you superlative shaves it should not be dismissed by saying "don't try it". On a site that promotes its self as a wet shaving forum, all options should be presented, instead of some being dismissed. I could see it being dismissed if it were impossible to get a great shave using the tool, but this is just not true.

The "majority" contend while an effective razor - they have too many downfalls - such as blade availability (If feather stops making blades for the AC - AC users are hosed) - their less than forgiving reputation, and their cost. When a feather DE blade is just as sharp and less expensive - it just makes the AC a niche product.

I feel there is a niche group for them, and die-hard feather users such as yourself, but - the universal sales position for a feather is quite muddy and not too clear. Their sales pitch is - if you want to shave with a straight, but do no maintenence, use a feather... BUT the primary difference between straight razors, and DE's/Cartridges/Etc - is the ability to control the nature and sharpness of the blades edge, so it somewhat defeats the purpose.

The AC is definitely a niche product (a very small one at that), but with the multi blade catridges commanding the "majority" of the shaving market, all of wet shaving is a niche. Also, as I have said in previous threads, if the "majority" rules, none of us would be here discussing wet shaving since the world has voted and by an overwhelming majority chosen the multi-blade razor.

Nevertheless, here we are discussing wet shaving and its implements. My reason for using the AC vs. a DE is not for controlling blade sharpness, but rather for acquiring more control of blade angle. As you point out, DE blades are very sharp. If I wanted sharpness and more blade control, I would just stick a feather DE blade in a Shavette and be done with it. Been there, done that. My experience has been the AC gives me better and easier shaves than a feather loaded Shavette.

As for the criticisms of the AC:

• It is true that the manufacturer could stop making the blades, but the Feather Co. have been making blades and razors for about 30 years now, as evidenced by a member of SMF scoring a vintage Feather AC off of ebay. Either way, I would rather enjoy something while it is available than worry about its hypothetical demise.

Picture of a Vintage Feather
  • When I started down the AC path I would have also called them "unforgiveable". After my technique improved, I no longer consider them unforgiveable. In addition, this argument begs the question, "what is it that needs to be forgiven"? The answer is "bad technique", which can be overcome through perseverance.
  • The cost argument is easily dismissed after RAD kicks in. I don't think there are too many DE or straight shavers with one DE or one straight. When I took up DE shaving, RAD threw out any arguments I could use to justify the DE and I venture to say the same holds true for traditional straights. Since there are only a handful of versions of the AC, any RAD that kicks in is limited. I am still on the two packs of 20 blades I bought when I started with the AC. $20 per year for blades is not unaffordable for me, especially if the pay back is to also save me some time.

Does a feather straight work superbly? YES! Is it more difficult to master than a traditional straight? NO! BUT - it does answer a question no one really asked.

If there are 2 chefs and one can put an edge on their own knife while the second sends theirs out to be honed, it does not automatically follow that the first chef is the master cook.

Using the same analogy, if you define master as which of the two requires the greater amount of skills, yes the traditional straight wins hands down (honing, stropping, as well as the actual shave)

But if two shavers can get an irritation-free shave that lasts a long time and leaves their face glass smooth, but one used a traditional straight and the other used an AC, who is the master? I would say that the two have learned to master their shaving implements and have taken different routes to arrive at the same destination. In both cases the shave was the arbiter of mastery, not the skill set.

More importantly, you say that the AC shaves superbly and you feel it is not as difficult to master as a traditional, but yet you tell interested shavers don't even try one???

The AC may not have answered a question you asked, but it did answer a question I asked. I wanted more blade angle control than the DE gives without the lack of balance I experienced in the Shavette. I also knew that I have a full set of hones for my kitchen knives, which only gather dust. With this in mind, the AC made much sense and answered my wet shaving question.

Since mastering a feather loaded DE is much faster/easier and less costly (both in blood and actual $) and does not require investing in proprietary equipment (if they stop making the blades, the feather straight would be as useful as owning a Sony Beta video tape player) - the DE option just seems to make quite a bit more sense for most users

No disagreement with this point. If a person wants faster and easier, I would also say stay away from the AC, but I think that the same can be said for the traditional which is what originally helped DE popularity to overtake straight usage.

While I argue the merits of the AC, I don't bash the choices that other wet shavers have taken. Some choose DEs, some traditional straights and some will even choose the AC. I would think that knowing the weight that your opinion carries that you would state your opinion but be hesitant to make "don't try it" statements. I don't have a problem with those who tried and did not like the AC for whatever reason, but "don't try it" says "I dismissed the AC, therefore you will too". It also dismisses the reasons why someone may find the AC attractive without constructively addressing them.

My opinion is just that. For me, I just do not see the point. But I suppose it does offer the edge control of a straight with the disposal convenience of a DE. I just find the thing very, well, dull, beside the beauty and history of a straight. I have one straight that dates to the time of the War. No not that War. Or that one. The Civil War. And another new custom on the way from Robert Williams. To me, the Feather just cannot come close to comparing to either of those on coolness factor. It looks more like a sterile surgical instrument.

-Mo
I have no argument with your position Mo.

Hands down, the traditional straight has more character and beauty than an AC. I respect your choice and reasons for your choice.

I am one of those that for right now, "it's all about the shave" and all other factors are subordinate. Maybe one day I will inch the coolness factor up on my list. :biggrin:

All posts should end with:

Opinions Abound - Reader Discretion Is Advised

I think, at the very least, we can all agree that using a single, unguarded blade provides a great shave. Furthermore, there are no perfect razors, and each will have some advantages and disadvantages. Even the lowly Zeepk can claim something over others (It has the softest steel around...)

Ricardo,
It's obvious you are incredibly passionate about your stance, and god love you for it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. In my 5 years of being on these shaving forums I have seen an overwhelming amount of gentlemen try feather AC's and be torn up. While many can master an artist club in time, VERY few can do so without some initial blood/razor rash and for many gentlemen here - walking around with a cut up, irritated face is not an option for business reasons. Of the hundreds of people I have heard of try feathers, I would say at least 80% of them end up selling them within a month.

It is with this that I recommend (by and large) gentlemen stay away from them, as while they can be good (you keep wanting to argue this one - eventhough I agree) you have to keep something in mind... what works for YOU and a select (small) group of people doesn't necessarily work for everyone else, and when you write an educational/instructional guide - the goal is to steer people in the best direction possible. It is VERY rare gentlemen are stricked with tremendous razor rash, tons of weep holes/cuts and so on and so forth with ANY other method, and as a result - to recommend an Artist Club to gentlemen, when I have seen (for years) it to have more than an 80% failure rate, would be a tremendous disservice to the fine gentlemen on this forum.

Many new users see guides and things of this nature as specific instruction, and the simple fact of the matter is - nearly everyone who owns a Feather AC - ends up not using it as their primary shaving tool. In fact, I'd be totally shocked if there were more than 5-6 people on this forum (of nearly 4,800 members) who use a feather AC as their primary razor. We have thousands of members on our forum who use genuine straights, and DE's for a reason.

The feather works for you... and I understand and applaud your love/dedication to it - but keep in mind you are the minority, and recommending a feather to everyone interested in using a straight - would be doing a tremendous disservice to them.

In all fairness to the AC, it required an act of concentration, but I never really tore my face up with it. At any rate, no more so than I have the last couple of days working on my straight razor shaving.

Actually, I didn't let a single drop of blood the first time I used the AC, as best I remember. So I'm not sure it is the killer that it has the reputation for being.... But that is one persons experience.

-Mo

I have to agree with Joel, because its my position also. I have seen 2 maybe 3 gentlemen describe this razor has their preference over all others. And of those that master it, love it.

That, statistically, does not make it a good recommendation. We could buy a fleet of traditional straight razors with the money spent on the Feather AC after it was shaved with and sold again to another user. The net loss alone is enough for it to deserve a no-recommendation vote from me.

It might be the greatest razor on the planet, but if one in 10 don't like it, then I think it fitting not to recommend it.

I think sometimes we develop a tremendous amount of zeal for the underdog, but statistically that zeal doesn't make a good recommendation either.

Now if we agree that its worth trying, knowing that you'll most likely not like it, but that you've really got to work with it to get good shaves, then I think your point is very valid. In that regards its exactly like a straight. If you think you are lessening the learning curve, then I'm not convinced. I think your only changing what the learning curve is about.

Top Bottom