What's new

!!!!..SECRETS OF SHAVETTES..!!!!

I don't know if that applies to shavettes, but it definitely doesn't apply to normal SRs. A dull edge on a normal SR promotes nicks where as a sharp edge is much better at preventing nicks.
Indeed. We all (well, most of us) want sharp edges. I think that sentence just came out in a fit of the pique. :blushing:

I was also attempting to sneak the word "nick" in. As a Brit the misuse of the word knick always amuses me: knicks = knickers = panties in American English (and also knickerbockers in American English), nothing to do with cuts either side of the pond.

Sheesh guys, I need to lighten up. I've been up all night. I'll go get some sleep now. Please accept my apologies for my rants. :rolleyes1

Indeed. We all (well, most of us) want sharp edges. I think that sentence just came out in a fit of the pique. :blushing:

I was also attempting to sneak the word "nick" in. As a Brit the misuse of the word knick always amuses me: knicks = knickers = panties in American English (and also knickerbockers in American English), nothing to do with cuts either side of the pond.

Sheesh guys, I need to lighten up. I've been up all night. I'll go get some sleep now. Please accept my apologies for my rants. :rolleyes1
Oi Cal...don't get yer knickers in a twist over it, mate!
As Churchill famously said "keep calm and shave on." We shall fight them on the beaches...we shall fight them in the lavatories...
He did, it's true! So's I learnt that from me cell-mate Nick, whilst banged up in the 'nick' for nicking mince pies and telling porkies...
And you try tellin' that to Yanks and they look at ya all queer like!

Whatever works for you is good. Seems to me that pushing the edge into a hard table would roll the edge and not really dull it so I don't think this technique is for me but if it works for you, enjoy your shaves.

Whatever works for you is good. Seems to me that pushing the edge into a hard table would roll the edge and not really dull it so I don't think this technique is for me but if it works for you, enjoy your shaves.

Works miracles " THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE". I thought the same as you at first....

I never had to stretch my skin. I just puff my cheeks a little etc., but skin stretching was never necessary, shavette or straight.

I sharpen several Japanese kitchen knives by hand using a gradation of Japanese water stones.

Between each stone use, many (I) pass the blade across a wine cork, or some special corking dense felt. Takes the "burr" off the blade before moving on to the next finer grain stone.
An ancient Japanese sharpening method.

Works the same with razor blades

There are variations of coatings and degrees of sharpness that may affect this method.

I sharpen several Japanese kitchen knives by hand using a gradation of Japanese water stones.

Between each stone use, many (I) pass the blade across a wine cork, or some special corking dense felt. Takes the "burr" off the blade before moving on to the next finer grain stone.
An ancient Japanese sharpening method.

Works the same with razor blades

There are variations of coatings and degrees of sharpness that may affect this method.

This is during the honing process, more so at the beginning of it.
No professional knife sharpener/razor honer finishes with running the blade through any medium.
If there is a burr after you are finished - you're not finished!

Stone and strop
I agree. I finish on felt and leather with diamond paste.
You are correct on the beginning of the honing process.
I'm thinking of passing the razor blade over my diamond loaded leather.
Cheers,
Mitch

I'm glad the OP found finding that works so well for them.

That said, I'd be tempted to question if the need to slightly (or significantly) dull a new edge might indicate that they are using too much pressure when they shave. Using to much pressure with a very sharp blade is a sure recipe for cuts, "nicks", and blood loss. Dulling the blade may make for a more forgiving edge under excessive pressure.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The only shavettes I use are Dovo and Razorine, but my blades don't get used on anything other than stubble (or skin, if I have a deficit in technique). I do find them more challenging to use, and don't get as good results as I get with a conventional DE razor, but that's why I only use them for fun "novelty" shaves.

Just used my "table force technique' with a brand new persona blade in the sextoblade. What I am doing is dulling the blade , possibly creating a bur. Regardless it works incredibly well , and had my first "nick" free shave today with sextoblade!

And about using to much pressure?? Can't really argue or defend myself , I used the sextoblade for months straight nearly always getting bloodshed.

....ummm what can I say prefer my shaves more like a straight , I'm just uncapable of the accuracy and precision needed to give a nick free shave with a shavette?

P.S. , This method did make my universal less effective , and now prefer standard shavette.

Last edited:
Top Bottom