What's new

!!!!..SECRETS OF SHAVETTES..!!!!

Ok, after 9-10 months shavette shaving , I figured it out!

YOU HAVE TO CORK THE BLADES!

skin stretchin , lots of it

MOISTURE , proraso/shower soap / not using alcohol

I can now do a 6pass shave for a week straight ( if I wanted ) and all my SHAVETTES are really good finding out you need to cork blade.

Sextoblade isn't wonderful due to I always get wobbles ( can't explain) but regulor SHAVETTES I find out you cork it hard with lots of pressure ...found out from sedef loading and wondering why it shaves so excellent every time!

CORK IT ... AND YOUR KNICK FREE

I was attempting to "EMPHASIZE" with the CAPS ... Also all the punctuation is an attention grabber.

Seriously though I'm corking these blades against a hard table , and that was the secret to excellent shaves.

OK, I'll show my ignorance. What is corking and what does it do to the blade?
Like dragging a blade through a wine cork. Therefore dulling the blade and making it much more forgiving. A lot of current market shavettes require pushing against a flat table to load , which is technically doing the same thing.

The Sedef razor , requires a lot of force to load ( not a scientist , but like 3-5 pounds of pressure , I'm guessing)

Now , for weeks I have been incredibly impressed with the Sedef razor ( still am). And finding out besides the lightness , it has been me loading and corking the blades.

I tried this routine on other shavettes with amazing results , knick free.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Would bread-knifing across the grain on balsa wood be similar? With our current lockdown, we have no access to good wine.

How to cork a DE blade (on a wine bottle cork or small slab of polystyrene):

Hold the blade carefully between your index finger and thumb and pull it through the cork/polystyrene. Only cut deep enough to cover the bevelled edge of the blade. Do this in both directions on each edge, just once each way. The idea is to gently wipe away any burrs which may be present but not to blunt the edge. It does work, and appears to extend the life of the blade.

Bear in mind that many blades do NOT need corking. Only use this method on blades that you find to be rough on the first shave.

Source: Corking blades (thread — 18 pages)

I was doing it in attempts to dull the blade , making it more forgiving.

Firmly pressing down on a hard table , with 3-7 pounds of pressure.

WORKED MARVELOUSLY!!!
( Don't be a pansy about it either , use lots of pressure).

:laugh: You'll have to come up with another name for your method Christopher. Corking certainly isn't meant to dull the blade.

Of course, with a dull blade you're much less likely to nick yourself.

Last edited:

WORKED MARVELOUSLY!!!
( Don't be a pansy about it either , use lots of pressure).
If I wanted a dull blade I would just load up half a Big Ben into my Shavettes. I personally prefer a sharp blade to medium Blade. I get smooth knick free shaves.
It's an interesting theory though.
I'd be screwed, all the wine bottles I have have screw caps 😁

It's not really dull , will still pass a hanging hair test.

It just works , not sure how you'd have to try it. It was making a very noticeable and big difference for me!

Last edited:
Well the Sanguine a mild exposure blade , which name actually means bloodshed turned it into a perfect shaver

Also lots of sextoblade users are known to cork the personna blades.

Anyway , I heard of this method and had my doubts. Paid no attention , ... It wasn't until utterly amazing shaves with the Sedef (that requires tabletop force to load)

That I discovered what was doing it!

Top Bottom