What's new

Secret weapon shaving technique

I do two passes, each a combination of ATG and XTG. And a ton of buffing. I probably go over every square millimeter of my face 15 times or more. (Except my mustache and soul patch, of course.)

For me it’s small fast strokes.
Over each area as the shave proceeds.
As I do finishing touch ups I just use the hot water, no lather at the end of it.

@AshleyC Yes I’ve used an alum block in the past but it irritates my skin also..doesn’t really sting at the time but I get a rash from it. In saying that though I have a mild form of psoriasis that flares up now & then so have to be careful what I use.

Skin and whisker prep IMO is the secret. Part of my routine is to use glycerin soap and hand scrub it into the skin and whiskers. Then without rinsing the soap, place a wet hot towel on the face for 2min while lathering my shave cream. Glycerin is a humectant, which means it attracts moisture and draws it deep into your skin and whiskers to keep it hydrated. Glycerin soap also has a lower pH than other soaps. Then follow what works for you. I do pre-shave oil, lather, shave and moisturise.

Its all in the angle. Used at the angle of the red line below, the red line being the level of my skin, the green line the neutral design angle, I dont feel the blade and it just wipes the stubble off using quick buffing strokes directly ATG.

View attachment 953467

Get the angle/pressure combination just right and its magic. Get it wrong and you'll know. I believe @albsat is using his like that now and found his sweet spot.

Technique is paramount with rigid designs that have generous exposure.

I learned that from @rabidus;

My first shave trying that below.
Well my friend, I followed your advice with my new friend piccolo, and must say that although it wasn’t my best shave ever, it was light years better than the first with this Mighty Mouse. I’ve got a VERY close DFS with a little irritation, but all in all a very nice shave indeed.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well my friend, I followed your advice with my new friend piccolo, and must say that although it wasn’t my best shave ever, it was light years better than the first with this Mighty Mouse. I’ve got a VERY close DFS with a little irritation, but all in all a very nice shave indeed.

That sounds like a good start!

Try it even shallower. Keep adjusting the angle of the razor until you dont feel the blade but can hear it cutting, you might need to listen closely. Fatips are generally quiet shavers, especially at a very shallow angle.

That sounds like a good start!

Try it even shallower. Keep adjusting the angle of the razor until you dont feel the blade but can hear it cutting, you might need to listen closely. Fatips are generally quiet shavers, especially at a very shallow angle.
I'll go shallower but I think the issue with this run was my lather. Broke the arko out after a couple year hiatus and something went wrong with it, it ended up almost "sticky" like hard water sticky and the razor was almost skipping over my face at times. Quite like shaving with no lather at all.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll go shallower but I think the issue with this run was my lather. Broke the arko out after a couple year hiatus and something went wrong with it, it ended up almost "sticky" like hard water sticky and the razor was almost skipping over my face at times. Quite like shaving with no lather at all.

Yeah, thats not good with any razor, but can be dangerous with a razor that has the blade exposure of a Fatip lol.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
since i shower shave, I store the extra lather in my chest hair. For the final pass, I have this super slick combo of water and extra lather that I smear back onto my face with my hands. It tells me exactly what needs touched up, and it's super slick. It also sounds weird now that I'm typing it out in a public forum.

I Lol'd. :)

Top Bottom