What's new

Second Use Of William's Mug Soap

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I just finished shaving with this and I was excited about getting a very smooth shave. I get that it smells like citronella. It smells like a aftershave balm or preshave oil I made once. The fragrance is in between bright and mellow. I used my Razorock DE-1 with a Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless and got a couple of nicks, but that was my fault for not watching my angle. As I said I got excited. The lather I got I thought was thick and dense. I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't want to thon it out to much. All and all I enjoyed the shave. The citronella fragrance isn't hateful. If Arko smells like a urinal puck maybe I can get one from a kanitorial supply store and try shavong wth that. (Lol just kidding) O don't want to let my William's air out and a fragrance to it. I don't want jeopardize the performance. In keepong with the citus notes, I used a toner I made with lime eo and used Stirlings Glacial Citron aftershave place. Ot was a very good shaving experiance!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just finished shaving with this and I was excited about getting a very smooth shave. I get that it smells like citronella. It smells like a aftershave balm or preshave oil I made once. The fragrance is in between bright and mellow. I used my Razorock DE-1 with a Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless and got a couple of nicks, but that was my fault for not watching my angle. As I said I got excited. The lather I got I thought was thick and dense. I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't want to thon it out to much. All and all I enjoyed the shave. The citronella fragrance isn't hateful. If Arko smells like a urinal puck maybe I can get one from a kanitorial supply store and try shavong wth that. (Lol just kidding) O don't want to let my William's air out and a fragrance to it. I don't want jeopardize the performance. In keepong with the citus notes, I used a toner I made with lime eo and used Stirlings Glacial Citron aftershave place. Ot was a very good shaving experiance!
Right on, I found Williams puck soap works well with a pastier or thicker load and apply to face and just add very little water and it works well. Folks who load and add a lot of water will be disappointed with thin lather, once you know how it works you will enjoy it more IMO.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Right on, I found Williams puck soap works well with a pastier or thicker load and apply to face and just add very little water and it works well. Folks who load and add a lot of water will be disappointed with thin lather, once you know how it works you will enjoy it more IMO.

I did add a little water to the tips of the brush. I didn't want to thin it out to much. I enjoyed the shave. I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide if I want to use the SV, MWF, WILLIAMS MUG SOAP, or Stirling's Scots Pine Sheep soaps all in my opinion are very good soaps.

I get great performance from my WMS. Dense slick stable lather. Easy to lather apart from it taking a few seconds longer. Mine is vintage though. Maybe the modern formulation is different.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have considered Williams but if the scent is a weaker version of Arko then I will give it a miss. Were Williams a stronger version of Arko then I would seek it out as Arko performs wonderfully and to my nose to smells divine; a stronger smelling version would be even better. Williams sounds to me like a poor man's Arko, which is saying something considering the price of Arko. Besides, I must not buy any more soap......I must not buy any more......I must not...... 🤣

I have considered Williams but if the scent is a weaker version of Arko then I will give it a miss. Were Williams a stronger version of Arko then I would seek it out as Arko performs wonderfully and to my nose to smells divine; a stronger smelling version would be even better. Williams sounds to me like a poor man's Arko, which is saying something considering the price of Arko. Besides, I must not buy any more soap......I must not buy any more......I must not...... 🤣
My puck smells nothing like Arko.

as someone that has grown to love Williams, I'm now on my second puck, I have no problem getting a thick dense lather with it, and I also have grown accustom to the smell, it smells old school which I really like. Pair it with a bottle of Old Spice, you'll be glad you did!

I will probably always have a puck of Williams now in my rotation, heck a few weeks ago, I think I went 4 for 5 using it on my daily shaves. It's local for me as well, I can get it at just about any grocery store, and it's cheap about a $1.29 or so or even less. Welcome to the brotherhood of Williams lovers.

I still don't get though how some people can get 300 shaves or something out of a puck, there's no way, I can get about 30 or so and then it's pretty much gone. I just buy another puck and toss it right into the same bowl. Works like a charm!

as someone that has grown to love Williams, I'm now on my second puck, I have no problem getting a thick dense lather with it, and I also have grown accustom to the smell, it smells old school which I really like. Pair it with a bottle of Old Spice, you'll be glad you did!

I will probably always have a puck of Williams now in my rotation, heck a few weeks ago, I think I went 4 for 5 using it on my daily shaves. It's local for me as well, I can get it at just about any grocery store, and it's cheap about a $1.29 or so or even less. Welcome to the brotherhood of Williams lovers.

I still don't get though how some people can get 300 shaves or something out of a puck, there's no way, I can get about 30 or so and then it's pretty much gone. I just buy another puck and toss it right into the same bowl. Works like a charm!
Old Spice?!? If you bothered to read the important information on the Williams box, you would know: There's something about an Acqua Velva man!

I know someone people here who have gotten a year straight of shaves from one pick of Williams. My thought on that is maybe if they just go around the puck like 20 times and then load that brush to another bowl, but good grief it’s so cheap why bother. I’m stoked to get over a month of shaves from it call it two months worth and off to the store I go to get another puck for $1.29 and my 5,000 bonus points for shopping at piggly wiggly my local grocery chain.

Life is simple!!!!! And as far as aqua Velva is concerned I haven’t tried it yet. I’m almost out of my Epsilon Blue so maybe once that is gone I’ll try it.

that is beyond true, I'm really glad I learned how to use it, and really glad I gave it a second try because it's really a great soap and I think I will always have a puck of it ready to go at all times. Heck next week I think I'm going to use it for a week straight, why not right!

I find Williams smells like the soap in your grandmothers bathtub but Arko smells like the soap in her powder room where she puts the good hand towels

This is my preferred method. Gives a great performance, and since Williams was my first shave soap I enjoy the scent for nostalgic reasons.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Same here.
Years ago I'd get 60 or more shaves from Williams, but all I wanted was to get a thin layer of slick soap on my face. And I only did one pass followed by touch ups using only water. Now I build a much bigger lather and I lather twice for 2 complete passes. I probably get 40 shaves out of a puck these days.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Send me a dm with your postal 📫 address and I'll send you some modern and vintage Williams, if you like. All the way to Cymru!

Top Bottom