What's new

Second shave with Gem G-Bar, PERFECT!

A few weeks ago I got my Gem G-Bar off ebay. After I had cleaned it and sanitized it, I decided to give it a try. I used a generic CVS brand SE blade. The shave was awful. I could not get it to cut anything, I even had to finish the WTG pass with my trusty DE.

Anyway, after posting about my initial bad experience, a board member here offered to send me some Ted Pella blades. Well all I can say is what a difference a blade makes!

Did a quick (in shower) shave this morning with the ol' Gem G-bar loaded with a Ted Pella + some Prorasso. The shave was fantastic. Even after just the WTG pass I think I would have been presentable, but my second pass (ATG) yielded BBSness with 0 nicks, no weepers nothing! Even in the sensitive area around the corner of my mouth where I always get small weepers, nothing!

I have to say I'm very impressed. I'm probably going to place an order for Ted Pellas now.

Quick question, (BroJohn, if you are out there) which model blades are the best to use? The Stainless Coated ones?

Quick question, (BroJohn, if you are out there) which model blades are the best to use? The Stainless Coated ones?

Yes. I don't recall the product number offhand and I'm at work, but they are the Pella Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades, $33/200.

Nice blade. A cheap GEM with these puts a slant to shame.

-- John Gehman

I have one of these that I acquired a month ago, I just haven't had the guts to use it yet since it seems so different. Definitely will wait until a weekend to give it a try......

I have one of these that I acquired a month ago, I just haven't had the guts to use it yet since it seems so different. Definitely will wait until a weekend to give it a try......

All I can say is the better blades made a world of difference. Like I said, the CVS blades were unusable for me. They simply didn't cut at all.

I've had 3 shaves with my G Bar using a new Blue Star blade and the results have been well below par. The same blade in a Gem Junior,Micromatic or an ancient Damaskeene gives me excellent shaves.I can't come to grips with the G Bar at all.:frown: It reminds me of the S/E equivalent of a Weishi,a very mild shaver.I'll give it another try with a Pella,if they will ship to Australia.:confused:

The SE blades that you want from Ted Pella are the Single Edge, PTFE-Coated, Stainless Steel Blades, box/200; Ted Pella's Product number 121-3.

I have had good results with Gem Blue Star (carbon steel) blades that I bought locally; these were in 10-blade plastic dispensers. I rinse and dry them after the shave, and by drying them, I don't mean wiping the blade dry, I just mean blotting the blade dry with a towel. With carbon steel blades, I carefully wipe them with a gun cleaning patch dampened with gun oil. I don't have a rust problem that way.

I have several 5-packs of Gem Blue Star blades (the ones in the cardboard packs), and I have found many of them to be rusted slightly when opened. Oh well, I can use them for the box cutter or scraper.

I've had 3 shaves with my G Bar using a new Blue Star blade and the results have been well below par. The same blade in a Gem Junior,Micromatic or an ancient Damaskeene gives me excellent shaves.I can't come to grips with the G Bar at all.:frown: It reminds me of the S/E equivalent of a Weishi,a very mild shaver.I'll give it another try with a Pella,if they will ship to Australia.:confused:

I have the same problem with the Blue Star Blades. They're sub-par and I only get two shaves from them. I've had more success with Treet Blades.

==Tom

I've only used the Ted Pella PTFE coated blades in my GEM G-Bar, and I have no reason to try any others. Great razor, great blades, great shaves. I'm glad this sweet combo clicked for you, lordhamster.

I slightly prefer the Treets over the Pellas for shave, but they rust! I have tried all sorts of things to get more than a couple shaves from them before they rust, but to no avail. I can't deal with the rusting! I tried storing them head down in alcohol, rubbing a little mineral oil on them, etc. Nothing worked for me. Shame.

I have begun corking the Pellas before I shave, otherwise they are slightly rough on the face :blushing:.

Andrew

Yesterday I had my first shave with a single edge Gem. Can anyone tell me what model it is? Damn fine shave it was too. Used a coated Pella blade and Coates Tea Tree cream.
full

I have this English Ever-Ready that I'm going to try next:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I had my first shave with a single edge Gem. Can anyone tell me what model it is? Damn fine shave it was too. Used a coated Pella blade and Coates Tea Tree cream.
full

It looks like a later micromatic (tapered knob, safety bar style) but with a plastic knob. I have seen one or two of these on ebay, but have always seen them listed as micromatics with no other designation given. I have an all-metal version of this in gold-tone.

I love my micromatics. I have several, but keep an older brass open-comber in my regular rotation. Fantastic shave, when used correctly of course. Aside from larger straights, it is my goto 3-day stubble remover!

Oh, and that ever-ready is sure neat looking. Do let us know how it shaves.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom