What's new

Second shave not good...

I think the one I have on the way is a boar
Yes the proraso pro is just a rebranded omega 10049 professional as far as I know. Biiig brush :)
This is a normal size omega and a 10049 pro:
16009556460171364971054101232889.jpg

Great brush!!! Going to smell funny but many "how to prepare boar brush" threads I'm sure.

In case you want to know, I soak new brush for 10 min to hydrate, then lather in dawn well (you'll lose hairs) then rinse. Then fill a mug with hot water and add dawn and mix and leave brush in for a couple hours. Then rinse well. Then lather up a soap on your hand and leave lather in brush (standing on handle) overnight.
Then next day sometime I rinse it out and lather one more time with it and then rinse.
Ready to use.
The smell is why I do all this.
Sounds like alot but many others do alot more. Depending on what soaps you have, I like to use a stronger one. Proraso green tub is my go to because it's pungent and always noticed my other brushes smelled like it even after it dried the next day. (I'm sure there's more now that are stronger or something).
You'll still get a hint of the smell and the brush will take many shaves to break in (practice hand lathers like I said earlier-kill 2 birds with one stone) but it's a huge nice brush!! Make sure you don't skimp on product. That guy needs alot of load.

A Pure Badger hair brush, not too expensive from Amazon. I have ordered a couple more, one is a Proraso Pro that gets decent reviews.
Proraso Pro is not a badger brush, it's boar. For those who like that style, I guess it's excellent. I don't. I like the softness of the silver tip badger.

Great advice above!

The main thing IMO is to recognize that ‘traditional’ wet shaving is a skill that takes time and effort to acquire. It is well worth the investment!

Great advice above!

The main thing IMO is to recognize that ‘traditional’ wet shaving is a skill that takes time and effort to acquire. It is well worth the investment!
100% agree.
At the beginning you ask yourself "I shaved fine before with carts" and "this isn't as good" and "this isn't worth it".
But it is.
Not only the variety of soaps and creams, the variety of blades to match you face (carts are one size
Then I have one Pure Badger, a Boar on the way, plus I'm going for a Synth type to try.....
I like my synthetic for when I need to shave and forgot to let the brush soak.
Just wet and go with a shave stick.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Applying pressure can cause issues. Let the razor and blade do the work...even if it seems you're not making headway.

I think all Your great advice paid off Guys. I have put in a rating on the shave report thread.
Thank You all my third shave went very well. Here is what I used as per the advice.View attachment 1159785
Awesome!!!
That brush is going to be nice when it breaks in!!!
Glad to hear it went well!!
Hopefully it keeps getting better!!
Confidence helps alot too.
Don't get discouraged if your shave isn't the best another time. Always improving is the name of the game!!! 👍🏻

Awesome!!!
That brush is going to be nice when it breaks in!!!
Glad to hear it went well!!
Hopefully it keeps getting better!!
Confidence helps alot too.
Don't get discouraged if your shave isn't the best another time. Always improving is the name of the game!!! 👍🏻
Yes, thanks....I'm in for the long haul as I've spent a few bob already, but I was thinking last night that compared to what I was spending on cartridges and Gel that It will even out......eventually.
I must confess that I have splashed out on a Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor with Chrome Finish.

Yes, thanks....I'm in for the long haul as I've spent a few bob already, but I was thinking last night that compared to what I was spending on cartridges and Gel that It will even out......eventually.
I must confess that I have splashed out on a Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor with Chrome Finish.
That's a great razor!!!
It's also a very aggressive razor.
Start on lowest setting.
That razor was able to take off a 6 month beard without trimming first.
And the finish will be slick.
If you have alum block, wet your fingers and wipe the alum block. It'll help grip the razor :)
Just go slow and that thing will shave you closer than anything!!

That's a great razor!!!
It's also a very aggressive razor.
Start on lowest setting.
That razor was able to take off a 6 month beard without trimming first.
And the finish will be slick.
If you have alum block, wet your fingers and wipe the alum block. It'll help grip the razor :)
Just go slow and that thing will shave you closer than anything!!
Yes, I was looking at several higher end razors and this seemed to fit the bill. I also got a bit of a discount too. This should last a lifetime.

Top Bottom