What's new

Second shave is the best shave

I've been working my way through my 10 different blades in my sampler pack and eliminating blades. One thing I've really noticed is that the second shave with a blade is usually the best shave with that blade. I've logged my shaves and given them scores, the second shave is always better than the first. Did anyone else see this?

I wonder what causes this? Is it some of the protective coatings on blades like the Astra SP or Shark SC wearing off?

Just find it really interesting.

I've been working my way through my 10 different blades in my sampler pack and eliminating blades. One thing I've really noticed is that the second shave with a blade is usually the best shave with that blade. I've logged my shaves and given them scores, the second shave is always better than the first. Did anyone else see this?

I wonder what causes this? Is it some of the protective coatings on blades like the Astra SP or Shark SC wearing off?

Just find it really interesting.
A lot of people notice it. I think most attribute it to coatings rubbing off/smoothing out. Many people will "cork" a blade so that the first shave behaves like a second shave.

You are right.

Astra SP feel "a bit too sharp" and "not as smooth as I'd like" on #1, and become almost perfect on their second outing.

The good thing is that (during my personal experiment) you can use them 14 times (= at least 2 weeks), and they only went unequivocally bad at some point before my #21.

You are right.

Astra SP feel "a bit too sharp" and "not as smooth as I'd like" on #1, and become almost perfect on their second outing.

The good thing is that (during my personal experiment) you can use them 14 times (= at least 2 weeks), and they only went unequivocally bad at some point before my #21.
How do u keep it sharp for so long?

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Good observation!

Some blades, like the Lab blue I used this AM, continue to improve over the first few shaves before they really reach their stride. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good observation!

Some blades, like the Lab blue I used this AM, continue to improve over the first few shaves before they really reach their stride. [emoji106] [emoji106]
I totally agree with you.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yup! I recall back in the 1960s when I was learning to shave and using a Schick injector, I'd hone a new blade on the edge of the porcelain sink!

Strop a new blade about 10x on each side on some old denim, and that takes that bad 1st shave out of the blade. I do that to every new blade.

Yup, pretty standard occurence in DE blades.
Altough I do have some Gillette Extrau Bleue on stock (I believe french version of GSB, discontinued) and they are "good to go" on ther 1st shave. But they get dull quickly...only 2 shaves per blade for me

+1 for corking here.
I do it with my favorite blades.
But right now I'm back to retrying all my blades, especially the ones that didn't work well for me before as well as other razors that haven't been used as much.
So for the first blade I'll run it fresh just to see. Then when I swap it out I'll cork the next one.
But for years I've been sticking with GSB and mostly my 37c with some vintage Gillette razors here and there and corked them every time I swapped blades.
I usually give it 2-3 passes on cork with no pressure besides to keep the blade steady.

It's not only feeling. It's proved by measurements. Many blades become sharper after one or two shaves. Like Bic, Personna Lab Blue, GSB etc.
rbss_2020.08.27.png

That's a clear case of YMMV. I am still to find a blade that can get past my first shave.
Astras being too sharp? More like mild from the beginning. Do whatever works great for you but I will keep chasing a BBS every time, giving no chance to razor burn by always tossing the blade after it's first use. Believe me that I tried to go into second and third use with most of the blades I tested and nothing seems to cut well with that approach. My beard isn't dense but every single hair is crazy hard and think. All my girlfriends couldn't stand a kiss with a 1 day growth and it was worse by letting a further growth.

I don't really notice this effect to be honest. I only notice it when a blade starts to become dull at some point after a couple of shaves.

A lot of people notice it. I think most attribute it to coatings rubbing off/smoothing out. Many people will "cork" a blade so that Ethe first shave behaves like a second shave.
I’ve done that before,
by palm stropping it.
It works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom