What's new

Second Rescale and Restore

Here goes my second attempt at restoring and rescaling a "Black Diamond, Jr." 5/8 American Made Razor in blue steel. The scales are Curly Black Walnut with an oil finish. If it isn't too much trouble, some feedback would be appreciated... good, bad or indifferent.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hi, looks every bit as if you did an excellent job :) I like that wood. Did you do the brush also?

I'll say two things: The fact that it closes even with the top of that spike is really cool, a nice touch I think. It just seems to me that the razor is a bit too small for the scales. Personally, scales that size need a beefier razor, but maybe it is quite comfortable as is :)

Great job!

Thank you and yes, I made the brush too. As a matter of fact, I've made a few in the past couple of weeks. you can check them out at http://www.customk9gear.com.

The razor is too small and so where the scales. This fact made it dificult to shave efficiently so I added a larger set to improve the balance in my hand. After a dog attack, 5 years in the army and a decade of woodworking, my hands are pretty badly damaged, nearly arthitic so a larger handle makes a huge difference.

Thank you again for your comments, Matt.

Pretty cool :)
To be honest, that brush is prolly the very first shave brush with a wooden handle that I actually liked. Generally, I do not at all like the way wooden handles look on brushes...

Very nice. I love the wood, too.

I was thinking the scales seemed a little large, too, but it is only that they come up and cover the tip more than most scales do, which is a nice look. The scales taper down a lot so they really do not look heavy or anything like that.

Fit and finish looks nice. Seems to line up perfectly. I like the blue blade, a lot.

Since the last my was second, this is now my third restoration. This razor came to me with tons of devil's spit and rust. The handle was broken and sythetic and is now replaced by Curly Nara with a camphor burl spacer and brass pins.

proxy.php

Top Bottom