What's new

Second re-knot: boar in a Solid Set

My first re-knot was a ceramic handle. Knot removal was zero risk.

This Solid Set is in great shape, barely used, probably because the knot quality was abysmal. Fine nylon (?) surrounded by a thin hedge of (possibly fake) badger. I had absolutely no qualms about throwing out a vintage knot in this case.

Rather than gripping the handle in my vise, I wrapped the knot in painters tape and put the knot in the vise. My cutting tool was a used Gem PTFE blade. The tape held the hair together for disposal - no mess.

A few cheapie wood carving chisels made short, easy work of removing the stump.
11D59061-2262-44DF-A144-0287DBF9932C.jpeg

I dremeled the inside of the cavity with a 'large' dremel sanding drum on the lowest speed, removing most of the adhesive residue. I did not have any excess wall thickness to play with, so some residue remains.

The available cavity diameter was about 20mm, a little wider at the bottom.

My knot inventory included:
First choice - 20mm two band badger, glue bump too big to fit.
Second try - 20mm black badger, could work, a little tight. But I recently lofted a twin knot into one of my custom handles.
Third shot - 18mm boar, great fit, nice look, and when shaving I reach for my boars first. Which means I have a lot of boars. But this is the predestined knot. Lofted at 48mm without any drilling, which will be fine.
E0DD626D-06E6-4D7D-8175-9CF1B53A284C.jpeg

I like it.

Great work Buddy

Thanks! I'm really happy with this vintage handle. I'm not getting much lathe time, but brushes are still multiplying.

The boar knot on this one is behaving a little oddly, after some break in lathering and only one shave. It has a sort of swirling splay, as if it was strongly affected by the first lather building. It is now more fan than bulb, at least for the time being. I've never seen that before.

The bad original knot did look a little similar. I'll put this brush in heavy rotation, get it well broken in, and see how the knot develops.

Thanks! I'm really happy with this vintage handle. I'm not getting much lathe time, but brushes are still multiplying.

The boar knot on this one is behaving a little oddly, after some break in lathering and only one shave. It has a sort of swirling splay, as if it was strongly affected by the first lather building. It is now more fan than bulb, at least for the time being. I've never seen that before.

The bad original knot did look a little similar. I'll put this brush in heavy rotation, get it well broken in, and see how the knot develops.

That's odd. I haven't used Boar as much. Not sure what it is but I just haven't gotten that good a lather with them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom