What's new

Second razor recommendation . Merkur 37/39C or Muhle R41?

I currently shave with the Merkur barber pole 38C.. Looking to get a second razor that might be a little more aggressive/ efficient. I only do a 2 pass shave, and was wondering if these might make it just a little smoother at the end. What would you all recommend? It will be my second razor, and I've been using a DE for about a year now.

How about a Fatip piccolo? It's a aggressive and efficient OC razor, but less aggressive than Muhle R41, I think. It's easy to use, and affordable.
Merkur 37/39C and Muhle R41 are also good choice. You can't go wrong with them.
Recently, there are many affordable OC and slant razors. For example, Razorock old type, Razorock German 37, Maggard slant etc. Probably they are also nice as second razor.

Standard B&B answer is, "Get both. You will eventually!" :lol:

The ruler of the sink spaces already looks at my razor stuff as encroaching on her 4/5ths of the counter. I don't think my part of a section can hold two more razors. :blink:

How about a Fatip piccolo? It's a aggressive and efficient OC razor, but less aggressive than Muhle R41, I think. It's easy to use, and affordable.
Merkur 37/39C and Muhle R41 are also good choice. You can't go wrong with them.
Recently, there are many affordable OC and slant razors. For example, Razorock old type, Razorock German 37, Maggard slant etc. Probably they are also nice as second razor.

Thanks for the suggestions.. will add those to the list to look into.

I would strongly counsel you to try the Merkur before the Muhle, and maybe even give the Muhle a pass. This is, of course, just the mileage on my face, but I have been shaving this way for about thirty years now, and I've tried both the dreaded 2011 or 13 or whatever it was, and the mellowed one Muhle released the next year, and I kept neither of them. They were just too aggressive. And I like an efficient shaver. The Muhle is beautiful, and feels great in the hand, but it's just too easy to nick or cut yourself, and too easy to get razor burn with it. I'll go out on a limb here and wager that the R41 will not be a long term player in the shaving world; it's a passing fancy.

The slants, on the other hand, have been around a while. They're classics for a reason. I just saw a Merkur 37C from the 40s go for about 150% of what you'd pay for a new one today on Ebay. And that's not just because of collector fetishism, I think. They shave great. Very close, very smooth, and without the risks the R41 poses. I shave with either the 37C or my Cobra. I haven't found anything that gets as close or does so as comfortably. Of course, as I say, that's just the mileage on my face. But try the slant first.

Everyone's different, and you'll get many varying opinions. That's what makes it fun!

For example, the R41 2011 is my favorite DE razor. I use one slant, the ATT S2, only because it gives me a nice shave and sits nicely in my second tier of razors. The FaTip piccolo also sits in that tier--and is a beautiful razor made of brass.

I don't find the R41 to be the wild beast that others describe. I really like mine a lot. It's wonderful for those time that you've gone a few days without shaving. If you want to get it on the cheap, buy the head only and put it on your 38c handle. Maggard's usually has the head in stock (right now it's $25.95).

Top Bottom