What's new

Second razor in progress...

Okay, after the first one I learned a LOT! I think this one will be better!!

Here are a couple of pics... This one is a 5/8 razor, this should get us closer to the 3.5/1 ratio that I learned about during the last build as the blade thickness is still 1/8". I decided to go with bone scales and I scaled it down a bit.

proxy.php

Here you can see how much I scaled this one down compared to a blade blank similar to the one I used in the first razor!!

proxy.php

THANKS!

Tom

THANKS!

I use a 2" X 72" variable speed Dozier belt grinder. For this one I'm using an 8" wheel to get a nice hollow.

Tom

If you don't mind the critique, I think the scales are going to be too short. How much clearance do you have between the toe of the razor and the wedge pins? Is there going to be room for a small gap between the razor and wedge? Could be an illusion of the camera, but I don't see much room for error there. Also, I would probably refine the pivot end a little bit, I always found stropping razors with large, chunky scales to be difficult. YMMV. Your blade looks really good, I know you have the skills to make some really outstanding razors in the future.

UPD, critique is ALWAYS welcome! You are correct that it is close, but there is maybe 1/32" clearance. In the future I will be switching to a 1/16" pivot and that will make it easier to get the clearance I need.

THANK YOU!

Here is where I am now... ready to build the wedge and pin it all together.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tom

Wedge fitting can be the most challenging part of scale making. If you have any questions ask. The blade looks really good! You need to hurry up and hone it so we can all know how it shaves! : D

Honed, THANKS! The blade steel is O-1 @ RC-62 with heat treatment by Peters Heat Treating. They do a fantastic job!!

Here it is finished up...

proxy.php

Close up of the logo. Thats WD-40 smears on the blade...

proxy.php

This shows the clearance between the tip of the blade and the wedge.

proxy.php

Here it is closed.

proxy.php

I look forward to hearing your input!

Tom

I think this looks great, and much more manageable than the original, large one

question though: Look at the attached picture, the two green lines are perfectly parallel. Won't grinding closer to the spine at the toe than at the heel result in a larger bevel angle at the heel?

Attachments

• $ParallelTest.jpg
    $ParallelTest.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 126
It shouldn't make much of a difference. The edge is approx. .003" thick. so it should be minimal.

With that said I will be sending this out to some people for testing. I don't use one, and will rely on their input!

Tom

I'm fairly new to it still myself, so I'm not sure either....But I've seen people get pretty picky about used razors with uneven hone wear and was worried this might be about equivalent to that. I could be wrong though

Forgot to mention; I also love that you left it with a brushed metal finish instead of a polish job :thumbup1:

This looks a lot like a W&B I have (in bone as well)! I love to see the old style in a modern razor-classy! Good for you, and hurray for more custom makers on this board!!!

-Matt-

Very nice!

Handy hint for the scales (elaborating on above comments): try to have the scales at the pin end a bit smaller, closer to the width of the tang, so it's easier to grip the razor and scales at the same time with an easy grip for stropping.

Very nice!

Handy hint for the scales (elaborating on above comments): try to have the scales at the pin end a bit smaller, closer to the width of the tang, so it's easier to grip the razor and scales at the same time with an easy grip for stropping.

Okay, this is good to know! THANKS!

Tom

I've never used a straight, but I would be honored to try this out! The bones scales are beautiful! Should I PM if I want to be considered to try it out?

Top Bottom