What's new

Second-ish Razor

Hello gents! Newbie to DE wet shaving, and newbie to this forum.

I’ve been shaving for a couple months with a Merkur 23C. While I like the balance and feel of the blade, I have a coarse, wiry beard that grows quickly, and I find I need to take several passes with the 23c to get through even a day or two worth of growth.

Now, all that is fine and good when I want a nice relaxing shave, but many mornings I just want to “bang it out” as I don’t like walking around with much growth due to discomfort.

Another thing to note, my lower neck maps crazy, and anything other than WTG results in irritation due to the multiple passes needed from the 23C.

In order to try something more aggressive I picked up a qshave adjustable. I found that I do like a more efficient shave, but I don’t love how it handles and find myself getting sliced up. However, the qshave wasn’t meant to be a daily driver, just a test into a more aggressive razor.

All that being said, I’d like to get a razor that is efficient against heavy growth, but also mild enough to help with my sensitive skin/temperamental neck. I’m currently deciding between the 37C slant and a Fatip open comb. If you were me, what would you choose as your 2nd(ish) DE razor?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Both are good razors. My recommendation to you is to get a Fatip. The slant requires a higher level of proper technique, & the Fatip has a low price point to try open comb razors.

If you want to try vintage Gillette razors, there are some wonderful open comb mild efficient razors available, such as a NEW LC or the NEW SC.

I agree with dmshaver, go with an open comb Fatip. I have a Grande OC. it is my second favorite razor after the RR SLOC. I find it to be mild and efficient. I too have a sensitive neck, more so the lower third. The grain there points north then turns out towards my ears. I use short best fit passes as close to WTG as possible. I also found that proper prep leads to nearly zero irritation. Kyle's Prep was the the last piece of the puzzle for me. How-to: Pre-Shave Prep - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-to-pre-shave-prep.9745/
Hopes this helps. All the best!

Welcome to B&B.

I’ve been shaving for a couple months with a Merkur 23C. While I like the balance and feel of the blade, I have a coarse, wiry beard that grows quickly, and I find I need to take several passes with the 23c to get through even a day or two worth of growth.

Now, all that is fine and good when I want a nice relaxing shave, but many mornings I just want to “bang it out” as I don’t like walking around with much growth due to discomfort.

Another thing to note, my lower neck maps crazy, and anything other than WTG results in irritation due to the multiple passes needed from the 23C.

Thanks!
My immediate reaction is that your technique is not good enough to deliver a good shave. Gradual reduction of stubble is what you should be aiming for without irritation, that means multiple passes. If you are getting irritation you are not using the razor correctly. Good preparation and lather are also essential for delivering a good shave. If your stubble grows fast you should be shaving daily and in a few weeks you will be able to knock it out daily with ease.
There is some good guidance in the Shave Wiki and blade angle should be especially noted; ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade
There are some issues with the 23C as it is light with long handle but uses the same head as the 34C which is great razor used by experienced shavers and novices alike. Perhaps consider a shorter but heavier handle on the 23C first. If you are getting nicks with the Qshave adjustable, it is another indication of poor technique that is the primary problem.
I would suggest you need to work on technique for the next few weeks and trying a blade sampler too. You need to find a razor blade you get good results from. It is worth trying most of the blades from St Petersburg to start but there are many others.

I have a 37 slant (the Razorock version) and the Fatip Grande OC

I’m selling the Fatip and wouldn’t even consider selling the slant.

I got the slant early on in my wet shaving journey despite warnings against it. I’ve never had a problem with it and it’s definitely a great razor that is my go to if I skip a day and always gives me a great shave.

Some great advice above!

My guess is that you have many moving parts at this point, especially that your technique is still evolving. The risk in starting your quest for the ‘perfect’ razor is that the process may take longer.

Thus, I suggest you focus on maximizing your prep, picking optimal blades for your current razors, getting great lather, optimal razor angle, etc., etc.

Trying new razors is fun!! I understand the appeal of new hardware (and certainly have been there myself.) Many go from mild/moderate to more aggressive razors (and you have some fine suggestions). Some (like me) move back to the ‘mild/moderate’ range.

The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :clap: :clap:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

There is nothing wrong with buying razors - buy a bunch if you have the cash. But if you're drawing blood you have a technique problem. It's possible your razor is too mild and you're adding pressure to get the result you want - an incredibly bad idea, by the way - but blood means bad razor angle to me.

Banging it out is not really the key to success. You can do a one pass shave if you're in a hurry, but do it with the idea that you're going to end up with the results of a one pass shave - some stubble left. Each pass should leave you with a closer shave - all of them comfortable and without irritation.

And what's with the two days growth????!!!!! That one pass shave doesn't take very long and both looks and feels way better than a no-shave day (although apparently plenty of people do it).

You may want to be a little patient with yourself and work on technique first, or you may want to get a couple more razors while you work on technique. It's simpler to get the technique down first, and makes it easier to select the best next razor.

Good luck.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Open Comb Slant, the Lo Storto Originale. 🇮🇹
20200617_173919~2.jpg

A superb slant at a very reasonable price.

YMMV :)

Nick, I too started with the Merkur 23C and used it for a couple of years until I bought my vintage Gillette Slim. Then I moved onward with vintage razors (though I recently bought the Merkur Progress adjustable). I've found that shorter, thicker handles suit my grip and the size of my hand better than the 23C did.

DMshaver's advice about a Gillette NEW Short Comb (SC) is a good one too. It is mild, but efficient. It was my razor this morning, and my cheeks and throat feel not only super smooth but un-irritated.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great advice here. I’ve been trying some new blades in my 23C and have been getting some really nice shaves with GSBs.

I think I would indeed like to try a shorter/heavier handle on the 23C. Any (affordable) recommendations?

you could try the Razorock HD, I believe it’s a copy of the Merkur HD handle. So you’d basically have yourself a 34HD. Good call on the blades, I was just about to post about that minuted before you replied. I also have very thick wiry hair, and The 34HD was a daily driver for many years. Usually with a sharper blade, like Gillette yellow or feathers. GSBs are also a great blade.

you could try the Razorock HD, I believe it’s a copy of the Merkur HD handle. So you’d basically have yourself a 34HD. Good call on the blades, I was just about to post about that minuted before you replied. I also have very thick wiry hair, and The 34HD was a daily driver for many years. Usually with a sharper blade, like Gillette yellow or feathers. GSBs are also a great blade.

Feathers had been my go-to, they're definitely sharp but not as smooth as the GSBs. I can't seem to find a Razorock HD in stock anywhere...would this Maggard handle be comparable: Maggard Razors DE Safety Razor MR11 Stainless Steel, Handle Only | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-mr11-stainless-steel-handle-only/

Or what if I went off the deep end and got a thiccboi like the iKon bulldog?

Feathers had been my go-to, they're definitely sharp but not as smooth as the GSBs. I can't seem to find a Razorock HD in stock anywhere...would this Maggard handle be comparable: Maggard Razors DE Safety Razor MR11 Stainless Steel, Handle Only | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-mr11-stainless-steel-handle-only/

Or what if I went off the deep end and got a thiccboi like the iKon bulldog?

I believe the Ikon Bulldog should be fine. Im not 100% but the 'Bulldog' Style handle is a generally short and heavy design, based on the early Gillette old type. A lot of the handle companies do a Bulldog style, and its generally my go to, because I like the short heavier style. Id almost say the Razorock HD/Merkur HD is a bulldog style also. Ive got a Maggard MR3, which is a bit chunky, but awesome handle, similar to Bulldog.

Cool. I need to confess something to y'all though.

I bought the slant (37C).

I had my heart set on it. It looks so cool, and a lot of people in my research said it was mild enough for them to manage as a daily driver. I've put down the futur-clone altogether and have been focusing on refining my skills with the 23C, and am now at the point where I can get a two pass near-BBS (WTG, XTG, touch up) without any razor burn. I've avoided ATG altogether because that's where I would get the most irritation - I think I'm just one of those guys who can't do ATG because my skin is too sensi. I also invested in some Skin Tend which really knocked out any lingering bumps I had been carrying between shaves.

I'm planning on committing myself to the 37C, learning its quirks, probably getting some nicks and weepers at the start, and trying a whole bunch of different blades (got a St. Pete's sampler from tryablade as recommended by invicta). Didn't see the point on depriving myself, I got the itch! I'll probably get a smaller handle for the 23C and use it as a three-piece travel razor. Also bumped up from the cheapest amazon brush to a maggard 24mm synthetic, which I'll be using with my proraso red cream. Next on my brush list is to pick up an omega boar.

Honestly, the feedback in this thread has been invaluable. I know we keep on-topic as much as possible, but since I've been stuck at home and the outside world (at least in the US) is a tough place right now, I've been finding this newfound hobby an enjoyable, comforting escape. I also put up a shelf in my bathroom, my first makings of a den. Thanks guys. I'll let ya know how the slant works out.

Top Bottom