What's new

Second (higher quality) razor?

I've been using a Gillette C King that I am quite happy with, but ready to get something a bit better or just different.

I feel like picking a first razor is easy, something like a 34c or GCK, and picking a third would also be easy because now you have two you know what you like, or can get something totally different, but I'm stuck on this second pick.

My current options are in the max £50/$65 area and include things like the Progress, 37c, Slim Adjustable, RR German 37. I'm leaning towards a slant just because it's totally different to the GCK, and would getting another 'normal' razor really be that different to the GCK? The slim adjustable is probably the best build quality of the ones I've seen, as the progress/RR/37c are all basically pot metal like the GCK.

If anyone has other suggestions for something in my price range that I've not seen I'd love to see them. I could potentially get Rockwell 6s *parts* for around my budget, but that would only include one plate so I'm wary about doing that.

A lot of People like Fatip razors and the Fatip Open Comb Slant gets a lot of love. It is all brass, and, it is in your price range.
F696B40C-D7EC-4E0B-AEF7-0D94BB839F64.png

I second the Fatip Lo Storto (aka Open Comb Slant/ FOCS). Compared to the KCG it’s a jump up in efficiency but still plenty smooth.

The Slim is also a great choice.

Both are well built and in your budget.

I've been using a Gillette C King that I am quite happy with
KCG was my first razor as well and since you say you like it my suggestion would be what I bought for my second razor which is the RR SLOC. I have in the last 3 or 4 months collected more than a dozen razors including Wolfman, Tatara Muramasa, and Rocnel Sailor among several other fine razors and I enjoy them all BUT I still love using my SLOC because for me it gives a GREAT combination of efficiency, comfort, and ease of use. Just my $0.02.

1653431243784.png

I've read some not great things about Fatip in the past, QC, fit and finish etc, is their slant worth it over say the German 37/Merkur? I think eventually I'll get an adjustable of some sort, but the Gillettes are so expensive to get in the UK and don't think the experience will be *that* much different to the GCK, which is why I mentioned slants, but I'm open to any other suggestions, thanks for the ones so far.

I have had the German 37 and sold it years ago. The FOCS specifically gets a lot of love on this forum. Mine the fit and finish is good. No problems with alignment. I had a mk2 Piccolo around the same time I had the Razorock ~2017. It did not have problems either. Search FOCS on the forum. In my opinion the quality issues are kind of over blown. More with the mk1 and mk2 head. The slants seem to align as much as a slant aligns.

I have had the German 37 and sold it years ago. The FOCS specifically gets a lot of love on this forum. Mine the fit and finish is good. No problems with alignment. I had a mk2 Piccolo around the same time I had the Razorock ~2017. It did not have problems either. Search FOCS on the forum. In my opinion the quality issues are kind of over blown. More with the mk1 and mk2 head. The slants seem to align as much as a slant aligns.
Thanks, think I'll give this a go. It's cheap enough that if I don't like it I can re-sell it and get something like a slim or something, at least then I'll know if I like slants or not!

I've been using a Gillette C King that I am quite happy with, but ready to get something a bit better or just different.

I feel like picking a first razor is easy, something like a 34c or GCK, and picking a third would also be easy because now you have two you know what you like, or can get something totally different, but I'm stuck on this second pick.

My current options are in the max £50/$65 area and include things like the Progress, 37c, Slim Adjustable, RR German 37. I'm leaning towards a slant just because it's totally different to the GCK, and would getting another 'normal' razor really be that different to the GCK? The slim adjustable is probably the best build quality of the ones I've seen, as the progress/RR/37c are all basically pot metal like the GCK.

If anyone has other suggestions for something in my price range that I've not seen I'd love to see them. I could potentially get Rockwell 6s *parts* for around my budget, but that would only include one plate so I'm wary about doing that.
I think everyone should own an Edwin Jagger DE 89.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

If you want different, and a slant, it's hard to go wrong with a PAA Phantom Blue open comb double slant. I do hold a special place for my Slim, and highly recommend you get one of those also. :cornut:

~doug~

Iridian

Cool and slimy
All good razors listed here!

But, just IMO ofc:
1. Up the budget a little
2. Get a stainless steel razor

Right before posting this I saw a "my razor just snapped" thread popping up. That's really hard to do with SS razors! :)

I ended up getting the Fatip open comb slant a few weeks ago!

Really loving this thing, solid brass and chrome plated so it glides nicely, really really smooth shaves so far and the efficiency is insane. It doesn't even feel 'aggressive' because the blade is basically flat across the curve of the comb, so angle it a little steep and it slices right through. I have been getting BBS shaves with just two passes.

This thing seems to really like (for me) teflon coated blades, Voskhod and Sputnik so far and they've been great. The handle isn't slippery at all for me, maybe it's the way I hold it but works great.

Thanks for all the input guys, I actually like this Fatip so much I've been looking at getting a piccolo.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.Piled.640JPG.JPG

The FOCS.

All metal. Beautiful shaver. Easy to use. Not aggressive but very effective and efficient.

Gold is better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You may want to consider a stainless steel razor from Italianbarber.com. a Game Changer or a Lupo specifically. My best razors are Wolfman razors, expensive as razors go, but the RazoRock Game Changer and RazoRock Lupo razors are awfully good and I keep them in my rotation along with the Wolfman razors. For what that's worth...best of luck in finding your next gem.

Top Bottom