What's new

Seasons Change... so do CCW Wardrobes

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I enjoy it and can wear it with a t-shirt, no issues. I swapped some of the parts around so it is a little deeper and use a little more angle now. I use a bellman belt and it works great. My shirt can be snug and it is still unseen. I also have an LAS Concealment Rampart. It is very comfortable but does not hide as well.

The Zorn is great for AIWB but hurts my hip at 2:30 to 4:00. If you are in to AIWB I would recommend it.

I have a white hat and something else for a larger weapon but, to be honest, the Zorn is so comfortable the other is just too heavy and i have to wear my belt too tight.

A lot of typing, sorry but it works so well.

Thought you might want to check out this video.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Very cool.....until you have to re-holster a hot gun. I blistered my thigh after using a "slide" type holster that didn't cover the full length of the guns slide. The Comp-Tac CTAC holster for my Glock 27 accepts the G 19, but the front portion of the 19's slide is uncovered. No problem until the gun gets hot!

OkieStubble

Very cool.....until you have to re-holster a hot gun. I blistered my thigh after using a "slide" type holster that didn't cover the full length of the guns slide. The Comp-Tac CTAC holster for my Glock 27 accepts the G 19, but the front portion of the 19's slide is uncovered. No problem until the gun gets hot!

I'm sure it's designed only for concealed carry, just as a "Yaqi slide" holster. They are not meant for a hot range and practicing shooting drills. When I practice multiple repetition drills with my Uncle Mike's soft holster it's in my bedroom with an unloaded gun. Why? Because the focus is on the holster itself and drawing and re-holstering from said holster.

The focus is not on my shooting skills down range. again, IMO, I think holsters with "a specific design" should be kept within it's specific design parameters. Pulling a guns trigger and putting rounds down range from a holster, that is "specifically designed" for concealed carry, should be treated as such and not used for combat training scenarios, where a hot gun has to be holstered and un-holstered multiple times.

If I have a slide holster, where the slide and barrel stick out from the bottom? And I already know, it's specifically designed for concealed carry? And if drew from it in a real life scenario? Am I putting my gun back in while it's still hot? No. I'm keeping it out until i know, the real life event is over. Then, it's either being laid down when police show up, or it's already cooled down by that time and i'm taking my time, looking back and re-holstering a now cooled off gun.

so why would I train differently with that concealed designed holster, like it is a tactical leg holster or external belt holster, that is specifically designed for active back and forth gunfights and/or holstering a hot gun? If I had a expensive leather, inside the waistband holster, that fully covered the entire pistol slide; and my clothes are draping over it in a concealed manner for which it's designed. I am still only training with it for which it's designed.

There would be no reason in real life, to throw magazine after magazine down range and holster a steaming hot pistol back inside my waistband, right next to my body and without looking. I am somebody, who preaches to "hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst." But no one, carries a tactical leg holster concealed. :) No one, carries an external duty belt holster concealed.

No one, goes to war carrying concealed. So we either train to go to war, with gear and equipment that supports this war, or we train to carry concealed and for self defense and we use the gear and equipment that is specifically designed for that purpose. And we should use it within those design parameters. Is it possible that I might be forced to use my small 3.1 inch barreled Sig P365 way down range against it's design? Of course. So I will train at the range shooting for that exact scenario.

Is it possible, we might have to train to use our concealed holsters which are only designed to conceal and draw from quickly from underneath clothing? In a go to war scenario? No. Why not? Because if you do find yourself in that go to war situation with concealed carry gear on, you won't be putting up your gun anytime soon. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , duly noted. But sometimes we have to remind ourselves or inform others of the limitations of certain types of gear and that they are not necessarily the "do all" or "be all" even though they represent a neat concept. Just trying to save others from repeating my mistakes. Doh!

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , duly noted. But sometimes we have to remind ourselves or inform others of the limitations of certain types of gear and that they are not necessarily the "do all" or "be all" even though they represent a neat concept. Just trying to save others from repeating my mistakes. Doh!

It's never hard for me to absolutely agree with you. :)

I sold a nice Don Hume leather holster. It wasn’t soft, but it had no cant. I’m too fat for appendix carry and it didn’t feel right at 4:00. I really like a light kydex holster I have now. It has decent adjustable retention and I feel confident that the gun is secure.

All these leather holsters you guys have are beautiful. I just wouldn’t have an occasion to wear them. I’m still jealous though.

year round I carry one of three. a commander 1911, a 10mm EAA (not being carried till I get the feed problems resolved) and a Sig 225 (shown) I use Sticky holsters, they are comfortable and I don't have to screw around with beltloops or anything. my skin and belt hold it secure
IMG_20220324_172142[1].jpg

I missed this the first time around. 🙂 Slightly different perspective: I carry a 19 with the gadget, AIWB in an Eidolon, pretty much all the time. When I'm out & about, I'm generally with someone (s) I care about. I'm not about speed reholstering, but I do practice reholstering for the simple reason that most people of ill intent are pretty indiscriminate, and rendering aid is a real possibility.

3 minutes can be a surprisingly looooong time, and you can do an awful lot with both hands, as needed. Of course, I'm an old EMT, so that's the basis for my thinking...

Super late to the party. Bit of a ramble follows.

My carry gun these days is 45% G35, 45% G19, 10% 5 inch 1911. AIWB across the board.

Mostly Kydex. Always mated to a purpose designed belt i.e. 1.5 inch 2 layer made in the USA leather belt or Nylon by the Wilderness, Mastermind Tactics/Graith or Tenicor.

In short, the cover garment changes but the pistol not so much. I do tend to default to the .40 cal when it is cold given its likely slightly better ballistic characteristics v multiple layers of clothing. It is easy for me to do because my primary client agencies are still using .40 cal a fair bit. If I had to feed and water my own pistol exclusively, I would not hesitate to go w a 9mm in a quality offering by Speer, Hornady, Federal, Winchester etc.

Reasonable minds can differ. I think, all things being equal, being able to easily re-holster one handed is better than not.
That couple with the fact, that for me (YMMV) both kydex and thicker leather holsters keep the gun in a repeatably accessible position better than thinner leather/"cloth" holsters. I fully acknowledge that some folks put a premium on comfort/maximum concealment such that a thinner holster is considered better for them.

I prefer closed loops to clips for holster retention to the body but confess to having a couple with a 1.5 inch metal clip ( vintage Graith Kydex and a Sheriff of Baghdad " Condom" Leather holster) that seem to "bite" well on my belts.

If my job had the potential for me to roll around on any given day i.e. armed professional, I would ONLY run a closed loop such to minimize the possibility of the holster coming off the beltline inadvertently.

In short, I am of the school that tends to dress around a full sized pistol (G19 or bigger) because they are easier to shoot fast and well coupled with their higher capacities.

I have always been of this mindset but recently recommitted to it when I saw footage of a decorated retired Oakland Police Captain with multiple shootings under his belt get car jacked wherein he ran out of ammo running a slimline 380/9mm IIRC.

Reasonable minds, with the gift of hindsight, may differ on a critical point where he pressed the fight, he ultimately did so without the benefit of 15+ rounds and/or a reload.

I fully understand the odds of "us" finding ourselves in such a position. I also understand the stakes as well.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly. Blessings to all in the Spring season.

You can wear a vest three seasons, and even then there's creativity. Carry full size with a pack, gear, murse etc.

One biker I know caries a NAA Mini .22 mag. all four seasons. He just doesn't like carrying a gun! If you can imagine that. I mean, if you're in a bathing suit, maybe the NAA. Just saying.

AA

For over thirty years, I’ve been carrying a 1-1/8 inch barrel NAA .22Mini Mag in an IWB holster when running, fast walking or in athletic shorts, leaving much heavier 9mm or .45 ACP pistols home. Since most defensive situations are under seven feet, frankly… if I were a criminal, I would not want to get hit center mass with a .22Mag round or two. I put on oversized rubber grips and the MiniMag is easier to draw and shoot. Love this little revolver when I’m moving quickly or for casual carry.

OkieStubble

Pray tell, where did you obtain your 225?

I sure did really like the looks and sizes of the older hammer fired Sig Sauer 228 and 225.

I just didn’t like that first, long and heavy trigger pull. I wanted to be a Sig guy back then, I just couldn’t make myself do it. :(

Ad Astra

The Instigator
For over thirty years, I’ve been carrying a 1-1/8 inch barrel NAA .22Mini Mag in an IWB holster when running, fast walking or in athletic shorts, leaving much heavier 9mm or .45 ACP pistols home. Since most defensive situations are under seven feet, frankly… if I were a criminal, I would not want to get hit center mass with a .22Mag round or two. I put on oversized rubber grips and the MiniMag is easier to draw and shoot. Love this little revolver when I’m moving quickly or for casual carry.

Fully agree. Better the NAA you have than the 1911 you don't.

AA

I sure did really like the looks and sizes of the older hammer fired Sig Sauer 228 and 225.

I just didn’t like that first, long and heavy trigger pull. I wanted to be a Sig guy back then, I just couldn’t make myself do it. :(
I was actually asking, because I wondered if it's one I sold several years ago. Not that truck-bed coating on grips is uncommon, but you don't see it every day either. 🙂

OkieStubble

I was actually asking, because I wondered if it's one I sold several years ago. Not that truck-bed coating on grips is uncommon, but you don't see it every day either. 🙂

Linex on a pistol grip? I would like to see what that looks like! :)

Enlarge the photo on that 225, that's what they were shot with (if that was the one I had, something similar if not). I like O'reilly's brand, as it lays more consistently on a small area than Wally World's.
As soon as I get my SP101 back from Briley, with new adjustable rear sights, I'll get pics up. I used bed coating to blend my chop & build up on the Hogue hard nylon grip.🙂

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As soon as I get my SP101 back from Briley, with new adjustable rear sights, I'll get pics up. I used bed coating to blend my chop & build up on the Hogue hard nylon grip.🙂

You sound like me a couple or three decades ago when I sent my Colt Officers ACP off to Wilson several times....so I could afford to get what I wanted done bit by bit.

Your pics are mandatory...I'm sure you know.

Top Bottom