What's new

Sears 8mm video camera - seeking info

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got this cool Sears 8mm camera from my Grandparents. I'm wondering if anyone here can provide info on it.

I wound it up and pulled the trigger and it still works. I'm guessing if I can find 8mm film anywhere it will record.

It looks in really good shape, probably been in the case for the past 30 years or so.

Where do I look for 8mm film. And I guess I need a way to play it back. Is it a lost cause this day and age?

Any info ya'll can provide would be great. If not....just check out a cool old camera!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a real camera/film shop near you they are your best bet. I have seen 8mm projectors for sale recently in the local shop, but if I recall Kodak stopped making 8mm film in the 90's.

Legion

Staff member
Just be careful. Most of that film is super 8. Your camera looks to be standard 8. There is a difference.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't think I'll be producing my own video with it. Seems to be to expensive and troublesome.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So in other words it's not digital.

VHS tapes are film. DVDs are digital.

What I call "video" is watching anything recorded.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ok, I guess my question would have been how are magnetic videos made versus film.

Legion

Staff member
Film is an optical medium. A base, and silver/dyes. The image is a positive for motion picture film. You shine a light though it, and you see your movie.

Old school video tape is storing data in an analogue form, using tape with a magnetic coating. A player decodes it and you see a movie on a monitor.

Digital video tape is the same, except the data is 1's and 0's.

Modern digital video is usually the 1's and 0's on solid state storage of some sort.

This is the very basic version of it all.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
And this concludes the lesson for the day.

That helps, thanks!

I don't think I'll be producing my own video with it. Seems to be to expensive and troublesome.
Your phone is probably a better camera, and if it isn't, you can buy a good used HD video camera for what you would spend to buy one roll of Super 8 film, having it developed and digitized.

Sony confused things by using 8mm (Video8, Hi8, Digital8) in their camcorders vs. VHS & VHS-C format. Super8 has to be processed in a lab like old camera film. You get a reel back and then play it on a projector. I think some of those 8mm cameras had attachments so they could double as a projector.
I have a few reels of 8mm film and have no clue what is on them but haven't been able to track a projector down locally.

We had an old 8mm projector and a bunch of reels from my grandmother. I think they all burned up in my parents house fire, however I think I might have seen the projector in my dad's garage last time I was there.

I've always wanted to do some normal 8mm. I'm not concerned much about sound, and would be interested in home development if possible, so i think Super 8 is out.

I do believe your camera is using the less common double regular 8mm "cartridge" film instead of just the 25 feet regular 8 spooled film. Plus it usually comes in Kodachrome color film which no one processes anymore unless you get it processed into BW. In my opinion not worth the trouble getting your camera going. However do enjoy your movie camera because it`s from your grand pa! Back in the early 80`s I shot this kind of movie film and even then it was heading towards being obsolete. If you must shoot your grandpa`s movie camera you can try to find some spare empty movies canisters like this one and load it up with regular 8mm film but imho it`s a pita. Good luck Sir in your quest! $s-l1600.jpg $il_340x270.541227594_p37x.jpg

Top Bottom