What's new

Search for most simple progression

I’m certain the improvements came because the bevels weren't properly set.
This knowledge has come as a by product of starting this process.
I thought my edges were fine and therefore so were my bevels but it was only when I switched more and more focus to the fine tuning and working on the bevel that I really improved my results.
Add to that my previous method had been to just do a refresh or deeper hone, then to shave test.
The shave test can be misleading as areas of the bevel can be rounded and it will still shave beautifully. Plus there’s no way of telling millimetre by millimetre which areas might need work and which areas are good.
So I was getting brilliant shaves, as the straight razor even at 70% is an amazing shaver, but there was much more waiting for me.
Since following the advice on this thread and especially the honing videos of Alex Gilmore I am now testing and testing at every stage of the process.
This lets me zero in on every bit of the bevel and edge in real detail and get my best results.
I now need nothing more than my 1k King, jnat and nagura, a lapping plate for ease, a loupe and a strand of hair for testing.
So my search for simplicity has also helped me to improve my edges.
Great. Thank you for the detailed answer.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m certain the improvements came because the bevels weren't properly set.
This knowledge has come as a by product of starting this process.
I thought my edges were fine and therefore so were my bevels but it was only when I switched more and more focus to the fine tuning and working on the bevel that I really improved my results.
Add to that my previous method had been to just do a refresh or deeper hone, then to shave test.
The shave test can be misleading as areas of the bevel can be rounded and it will still shave beautifully. Plus there’s no way of telling millimetre by millimetre which areas might need work and which areas are good.
So I was getting brilliant shaves, as the straight razor even at 70% is an amazing shaver, but there was much more waiting for me.
Since following the advice on this thread and especially the honing videos of Alex Gilmore I am now testing and testing at every stage of the process.
This lets me zero in on every bit of the bevel and edge in real detail and get my best results.
I now need nothing more than my 1k King, jnat and nagura, a lapping plate for ease, a loupe and a strand of hair for testing.
So my search for simplicity has also helped me to improve my edges.

What you are describing is very close to what I’m currently doing WRT bevel set. At coarser grits, say 3k/4k and below, I’m using a loupe to see if the bevels meet in a plane. HHT isn’t really the best at coarse grits. If you can get silent HHT at 3k after a little stropping, you have a fine razor.

Once the apex is visually good, I move up the grit scale and test with HHT. A good razor with a well-set bevel will pass HHT at 3k/4k, though maybe not as well as 5k and up. 5k is about when the bevel starts to pick up a polish and HHT becomes more effective, especially at testing the heel and toe. If you have silent HHT off 5k and up after a few licks on a strop, the bevel is perfectly set and ready to finish with a competent JNat.

One thing that does occur fairly often is that the bevel looks set by the loupe at 3k then as you go to 8k and the bevel picks up polish, you can see areas that need a little more work than you could see at coarser grits. That’s just part of it though, up and down the two synth grits until the edge is ready for the JNat.

You’re doing very well sir!

Often new honers feel that good enough is good enough, (think Bevel Set), and the “Progression” will clean up any problem areas, kicking the can down the road.

A simpler, smaller progression removes that false crutch of a “Progression” and forces you to perfect the edge off each stone. You just learn to pay more attention.

That and checking the edge visually after each stone to make sure you did not bugger it up. Understanging what it is you see through the loupe.

Almost set.jpg

Almost set bevel at 1k, this edge will pass hair test for most folks

Fully set.jpg

Fully set bevel at 1k

Often new honers feel that good enough is good enough, (think Bevel Set), and the “Progression” will clean up any problem areas, kicking the can down the road.

A simpler, smaller progression removes that false crutch of a “Progression” and forces you to perfect the edge off each stone. You just learn to pay more attention.

That and checking the edge visually after each stone to make sure you did not bugger it up. Understanging what it is you see through the loupe.

View attachment 1464488

Almost set bevel at 1k, this edge will pass hair test for most folks

View attachment 1464490

Fully set bevel at 1k
Great photos these are very useful thank you👍

What you are describing is very close to what I’m currently doing WRT bevel set. At coarser grits, say 3k/4k and below, I’m using a loupe to see if the bevels meet in a plane. HHT isn’t really the best at coarse grits. If you can get silent HHT at 3k after a little stropping, you have a fine razor.

Once the apex is visually good, I move up the grit scale and test with HHT. A good razor with a well-set bevel will pass HHT at 3k/4k, though maybe not as well as 5k and up. 5k is about when the bevel starts to pick up a polish and HHT becomes more effective, especially at testing the heel and toe. If you have silent HHT off 5k and up after a few licks on a strop, the bevel is perfectly set and ready to finish with a competent JNat.

One thing that does occur fairly often is that the bevel looks set by the loupe at 3k then as you go to 8k and the bevel picks up polish, you can see areas that need a little more work than you could see at coarser grits. That’s just part of it though, up and down the two synth grits until the edge is ready for the JNat.

You’re doing very well sir!
Great advice thanks all very much appreciated 👍

Top Bottom