What's new

Sealed vintage brush

Hi all.
I have been looking for an English made Ever-Read brush for ages. I think, at last, I may have struck gold. I found a box of 6 the seller claims are still sealed. They don't come cheap and since I want to use what I buy and not just mere collecting I wanted to ask whether you guys can have a look at some picture and advise as to whether these might be at all usable, how to sterilise them. There are a few cheaper battered ones, but they are obviously used and need re-knotting; something I am not prepared to go through at the moment. So I thought these ones being still sealed, might be usable.

I'm not sure whether bristles goes stiff or crumbly over the years even if sealed. Looking forward to your expert advice.

Thank you so much in advance.

Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 77
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: CCR

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think it might depend how old they are? If they are really old you might find that the glue knot that holds the bristles/hairs in may break down when you start using it. If they are good to go I would just test lather one with some shaving soap or use some shampoo and it should be right. No one else has used it and it is supposedly sealed.

I think it might depend how old they are? If they are really old you might find that the glue knot that holds the bristles/hairs in may break down when you start using it. If they are good to go I would just test lather one with some shaving soap or use some shampoo and it should be right. No one else has used it and it is supposedly sealed.
Excellent advice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree, that glue may have become cracked and brittle over the year,resulting in shedding. If the price is super cheap the handle is excellent to use for a new knot, you can do that yourself.

If they're still new in the box, you needn't sterilise them. I should think the natural bristles would still be good to-day, probably boar. I should avoid extremely hot water, but otherwise use and enjoy. You can always sell off the extras.

I agree, that glue may have become cracked and brittle over the year,resulting in shedding. If the price is super cheap the handle is excellent to use for a new knot, you can do that yourself.

+1! Great advice! I have a reknot in an EverReady 200 that I really enjoy! :a29:

Thank you all for your prompt replies. What I might do then is buy the lot and start using them to see how they behave. The seller has assured me they have never been used. I might lather some shampoo, antibacterial soap and the like and then try a proper shave. If they shed to much and end up bold I'll try a re-knot.

Thank you all for your prompt replies. What I might do then is buy the lot and start using them to see how they behave. The seller has assured me they have never been used. I might lather some shampoo, antibacterial soap and the like and then try a proper shave. If they shed to much and end up bold I'll try a re-knot.

If you wind up having to re-knot, it isn't difficult, and there is a sub-forum off of this forum that can be very helpful for just such a task.

Those look like wooden handles. Vintage Wooden handle brushes tend in my experience to be built in much lower quality than even cheaper plastic handles. Nearly all I've owned were shedders.

Regardless, the condition and simple styling of the handles makes these a pretty neat find.

I’d go ahead and make the move as if they aren’t usable, set on or two up for decor, and attempt replacing the knot in another.

Those look like wooden handles. Vintage Wooden handle brushes tend in my experience to be built in much lower quality than even cheaper plastic handles. Nearly all I've owned were shedders.

Yeah I don’t have a lot of hope, but once I receive them I want to try to use a few of them until they actually become unusable and at that point I can start looking at knot replacement. I am more concerned about the safety of using such an old brush in terms of bacteria etc, but I can wash them with soap and that should do it.

I use barbicide for everything except the brushes. I don't know why I always thought it could damage them. Good advice thanks.

Top Bottom