What's new

Seal to a Silver Plated

Anyone found a good/safe way of re-laquering silver plated razors..?
Most of the time I like to have mine shiny.

Depends what they're made of... I know Brass isn't too hard to silver plate with a brush-on setup and some patience (done it on trumpet mouthpieces a few times), no idea/experience with how nicely or otherwise Zamac takes electroplating?

In their early many (most) of Gillettes were coated with a laquer thus providing a seal whicjh was to provide a seal of oxidatiion

R

romsitsa

It was a nitrocellulose lacquer (tined for gold, transparent for silver) quite similar to todays guitar lacquer. But it won’t last at all. And lacquering silver eliminates its antimicrobal properties, so its a bit senseless, imho.

I can't help with the relacquering but if you just want them shiny without losing any of the silver plating that polishing removes you can chemically reverse the oxidation process with salt, baking soda, aluminum foil and hot water. Your razor becomes shiny and you lose none of the silver plating. I've done it myself with a few silver items and it works very well.
House of Hawthornes: Clean Silver With Baking Soda And Aluminum Foil

Great answer although a bit sad for these days I guess.
In the old days lacquering was a way of keeping the shine for a long(er) time.
Nowadays we are bound to keep ém polished (if we want to)

It was a nitrocellulose lacquer (tined for gold, transparent for silver) quite similar to todays guitar lacquer. But it won’t last at all. And lacquering silver eliminates its antimicrobal properties, so its a bit senseless, imho.

Yep!
Thanks.
Done that for cleaning/polishing for sure! . I was just intrigued if there a was a way of keeping the shine for a while..

I can't help with the relacquering but if you just want them shiny without losing any of the silver plating that polishing removes you can chemically reverse the oxidation process with salt, baking soda, aluminum foil and hot water. Your razor becomes shiny and you lose none of the silver plating. I've done it myself with a few silver items and it works very well.
House of Hawthornes: Clean Silver With Baking Soda And Aluminum Foil

Last edited:
Trying some Renaissance wax I have in the house... I report back if someone is interested.

Top Bottom