What's new

Seaforth! Spice

I liked diver down quite a lot. I didn't buy the splash but I do have the soap and star jelly. The star jelly has legs as well. I applied it post shave last night around 9:30pm and I can smell it as I write this. It was never overpowering however and the soap seems to have a small amount of menthol in it, very pleasant experience. I've used it regularly the last week and a half.

i could also feel the menthol and it’s not listed as a ingredient on my tub of soap. And I hate menthol. The soap was fantastic except for the menthol.

That's unfortunate, maybe it's a different cooling spice? I agree it definitely has a cooling sensation.
Yes, I agree. It’s something in it. And I loved the lather and scent but my skin is very sensitive and I can’t handle menthol. It’s a shame because I was looking forward to using it. For anyone else who likes menthol then this soap is a winner.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
i could also feel the menthol and it’s not listed as a ingredient on my tub of soap. And I hate menthol. The soap was fantastic except for the menthol.

This from PAA's website:

Scent Profile: A deceptively simple looking recipe, yet I assure you, it's an epic, heady blend of spiced rum, myrrh, *spikenard, Jerusalem Pine, a splash of lavender and a dash of cinnamon. Not a true bay rum by far but it definitely shares some DNA! *Not only was spikenard used for it's unique scent but also for its lite cooling effect! Not as straight forward as say menthol, but many of you will notice this stuff for sure!

This from PAA's website:

Scent Profile: A deceptively simple looking recipe, yet I assure you, it's an epic, heady blend of spiced rum, myrrh, *spikenard, Jerusalem Pine, a splash of lavender and a dash of cinnamon. Not a true bay rum by far but it definitely shares some DNA! *Not only was spikenard used for it's unique scent but also for its lite cooling effect! Not as straight forward as say menthol, but many of you will notice this stuff for sure!
By the third pass I could barely handle it But now I know.

I have the new Seaforth. Great soap and toner, but the initial aroma doesn't do it for me. I think it's the mandarin notes. Once these dissipate, then I prefer it. I fear this was a miss for me.

Surprisingly, Diver Down or Seaforth, except for cinnamon, don't seem to have any scent notes in common, at least according to Try That Soap. I wonder if I would prefer Diver Down instead.... Thoughts?

FWIW, Shawn Maher (of Chatillon Lux) developed these scents for Spearhead.

They're really good.

The Heather smells a lot like Monsavon Shave soap. Lavender forward. Spicy, French smelling. Awesome.

The Spice is hard to nail down. It's sweet. Very sweet. Smells great though.
I agree. I’m not great at nailing down scents, especially fougères. I didn’t shave today, so I haven’t tried the soap, but splashed some of the AS on my face after my morning shower. I personally love the scent. Not a heavy froward fougère with a ponderous floral permeation, but something lighter, but still a bit sweet and uplifting. There’s lavender sitting in the front row along with something I haven’t put my finger on yet. My biggest surprise is it’s staying power. It was with me all morning. I could even notice it on my trail hike in the ravine. Tomorrow morning I’ll give it the full test using both the shave soap and aftershave. Maybe I’ll be able to get a better scent descriptor for you then.

When I ordered Diver Down I didn't know about Spearhead and that Spearhead is the company that bought the Seaforth brand and revived Seaforth! Spice. My Diver Down came yesterday and Seaforth Spice should be in my hands in a couple of days.

As for Diver Down, the soap has a menthol-like substance in it, the Star Jelly has menthol in it (as expected) and the AS has a menthol - like substance in it. So if you are someone who does not appreciate menthol in the winter, as I am, this will be more of a warm weather scent for you.

I think PAA went overboard on the cold water theme here.

When I ordered Diver Down I didn't know about Spearhead and that Spearhead is the company that bought the Seaforth brand and revived Seaforth! Spice. My Diver Down came yesterday and Seaforth Spice should be in my hands in a couple of days.

As for Diver Down, the soap has a menthol-like substance in it, the Star Jelly has menthol in it (as expected) and the AS has a menthol - like substance in it. So if you are someone who does not appreciate menthol in the winter, as I am, this will be more of a warm weather scent for you.

I think PAA went overboard on the cold water theme here.
Agreed. Though unfortunately I can’t use it. I have very sensitive skin and the menthol effect is too much for me. Love the scent and lather ability of it.

My Seaforth Spice just arrived and I like it a lot - so much that I just jumped on and ordered the Heather soap and ASB. I'm definitely looking forward to more great scents from Spearhead and I'm happy to support this family venture. It may be the first soap from Spearhead, but it could have easily come from an established soap shop. The base and fragrance are top tier.

At first I was concerned that Diver Down was a spoiler from PAA that they rushed to market to take the wind out of Seaforth Spice's sails. They are different enough from each other while sharing the same classic origins that I will use both. In my case I would not have heard of Spearhead if I hadn't searched out Diver Down (after I ordered it - ready, fire, aim) and I am thrilled to have found them.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My Seaforth Spice just arrived and I like it a lot - so much that I just jumped on and ordered the Heather soap and ASB. I'm definitely looking forward to more great scents from Spearhead and I'm happy to support this family venture. It may be the first soap from Spearhead, but it could have easily come from an established soap shop. The base and fragrance are top tier.

At first I was concerned that Diver Down was a spoiler from PAA that they rushed to market to take the wind out of Seaforth Spice's sails. They are different enough from each other while sharing the same classic origins that I will use both. In my case I would not have heard of Spearhead if I hadn't searched out Diver Down (after I ordered it - ready, fire, aim) and I am thrilled to have found them.

I felt the same way as you...I was so impressed with the aftershave splash I bought the soap.

I felt the same way as you...I was so impressed with the aftershave splash I bought the soap.

I agree. I sadly found out that cinnamon irritates the heck of my skin. I say sadly because I love holiday scents and many have cinnamon in them from Halloween on. I can smell cinnamon in the Spice splash, but it does not irritate my skin - even when I use an aggressive razor that I know irritates my skin all by itself.

I agree
immediately place a second order
1609037848924.gif

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wondered, given the name has “Spice” in it, if the Seaforth product was a take on Old Spice?
Old Spice was released (for men) in 1937.
Seaforth released their Heather in 1939, and their Spice (and Black watch) in 1953.
They absolutely considered themselves as a rival to Shulton.
There are threads on the interwebs about the Announcement made by Seaforth about their plans, and a sudden formulation and release of Diver Down to beat Seaforth to the market.
A similar situation occurred with PAA and Stirling with a quick release by PAA after a planned release announcement by Stirling.

Top Bottom