What's new

Sea-Dweller Servicing?

@Whisky, @Captain Pre-Capsize and anyone else.

I just read the thread started by @Whisky That is an incredible watch. Wow. I would be in the exact same conundrum, given its age and history.

If you don’t mind me asking, I have a non-vintage Rolex I was thinking about sending in to Rolex through the local dealer through whom I bought it…

I have a 2000 Sea-Dweller that I bought to commemorate an important career milestone. I have worn it almost every single day since. It has been with me on every dive, and on every single mountain bike ride (3+ times a week since 2000), regularly seeing elevations of close to 10,000 feet. There is not a single thing wrong with it, apart from surface scratches on the band and a hard knock on the bezel just left of the 12 hour marker. I was thinking about sending it to Rolex for a service/rebuild/overhaul.

Do you or does anyone else have a sense as to what the cost for this would be, and whether it would be worth it, in terms preventative maintenance?

Thank you.
A4D3DC45-33D5-42EE-B831-EB3E184273EB.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Beautiful watch! I personally love the battle scars and wouldn’t get the case polished
Obviously there are two categories of repair. One where the watch doesn’t run. Or like your watch it’s seems fine but probably due for a service based on the passage of time. Probably about 10 years ago I paid around (or just under) 1k for Rolex service. That basic service has gone up for sure. Recently I paid $800 for another service on the same watch at a local shop. They used to be an AD. And they still employ the same watch maker so I trusted them this time around. It was keeping whacky time running way fast. They said it just needed cleaning lubricant etc. they also turned it around in a matter of days. I’m your situation unless you have a trusted service spot I’d go back to Rolex. You can also send it yourself via registered mail. Expensive but the only way to go. Rolex will inspect and give you an estimate so you can give the go ahead.
In your situation I’d just call the closest Rolex service center and get the newest details. At nyc service center you used to be able to bring it in person. At a minimum I think you got to be thinking $1000. Would love to hear how you make out. Good luck. 🍀

I’ll also add a ps. There is a school of thought best described as if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. In the mid to late 90s I worked with a guy who had a date just. Bought new in 1970. He wore it every day between then and when I knew him and he never had it serviced. That was a point of pride with him. All you had to do was ask his opinion about routine service and he would go off.

Beautiful watch! I personally love the battle scars and wouldn’t get the case polished
Obviously there are two categories of repair. One where the watch doesn’t run. Or like your watch it’s seems fine but probably due for a service based on the passage of time. Probably about 10 years ago I paid around (or just under) 1k for Rolex service. That basic service has gone up for sure. Recently I paid $800 for another service on the same watch at a local shop. They used to be an AD. And they still employ the same watch maker so I trusted them this time around. It was keeping whacky time running way fast. They said it just needed cleaning lubricant etc. they also turned it around in a matter of days. I’m your situation unless you have a trusted service spot I’d go back to Rolex. You can also send it yourself via registered mail. Expensive but the only way to go. Rolex will inspect and give you an estimate so you can give the go ahead.
In your situation I’d just call the closest Rolex service center and get the newest details. At nyc service center you used to be able to bring it in person. At a minimum I think you got to be thinking $1000. Would love to hear how you make out. Good luck. 🍀

I’ll also add a ps. There is a school of thought best described as if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. In the mid to late 90s I worked with a guy who had a date just. Bought new in 1970. He wore it every day between then and when I knew him and he never had it serviced. That was a point of pride with him. All you had to do was ask his opinion about routine service and he would go off.
Thanks. Off skiing now for a pre-NYE blast with my trusty beloved SD!!! That keeps perfect time!!!

I will say this though. When I bought it in 2000, there was a problem out of the box. It was running slow. The retailer sent it to Rolex free of charge and let me choose from one of about 50 watches from his personal collection while mine was away. I chose a gold and blue submariner. I got it back, and that’s been it in terms of issues.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@headshvr ..... Man, I have no idea the worth of that watch monetarily speaking, but I would be of the mindset of my grey hair: just like your watch, I earned these hairs. If you get it all gussied up you will always know it ain't new, and anyone else's opinion of your watch probably doesn't mean that much to you.

I'm reminded of an old farmer I read about. He drove Ford pickup trucks. The "F" series. He NEVER changed his oil, only topping it off when it was low. He'd get 300,000 miles out of his trucks! No idea what made him do it, or why it werked out for him.

I also read years ago that once you remove a tumor it causes the cancer to spread more rapidly because of some self-suppression/restriction that the tumor was responsible for. Or my swiss cheese memory has that confused with some milkman that delivered cheese with an old Ford.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
From what I’ve read Rolex recommends servicing every 10yrs. There’s not really a set price for “service.” Rolex will take your watch apart determine what needs to be done and contact you with the cost prior to any work being performed.

Last edited:
In my case, @headshvr, the 1950's era Omega was all broken down - even the hands had fallen off. So it wasn't a watch per-se. It also never had been mine, I inherited it. The watch restored had a value of $500.00 if I recall. That is pretty much what it cost to get it entirely rebuilt and reconditioned. Now it is good for probably a few generations as it won't be subject to being on the wrist of a Stihl chainsaw wielding guy anytime soon.

As to yours, I would leave it if I were in your place. You bought it new and any mark on it was under your care - that is a big part of the appeal for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Diving with the watch steers toward an answer of yes, get service. The gasket and seals do not last forever and given 20+ years of age on the watch those parts should definitely be inspected and replaced.
Hadn't thought of that. EXCELLENT point if it's going diving!

Thanks guys. No diving. I stopped bringing it in the shower 10 years ago. It sees no immersion in water. At most, rain.

After all this talk, I was worried it was going to stop working today. Nope. Still going strong. The thing is a tank.

Thinking about the Stihl chainsaw reference, mountain biking is not all that different.

Good one you for doing the research.

A Rolex inc lube/oil/adjust/case polish/bracelet restore etc will likely be 1000-1500 depending on the level of service etc.

There are any number of folks who will do similar work for less than 1/2.

Where this is starting to get interesting is the increasing difficulty of Non AD but otherwise qualified watch makers getting OEM parts for Rolex.

If it it otherwise keeping decent time, I would be highly inclined to have it serviced by somebody other than Rolex inc.

I would be emphatic that I wanted all gaskets/seals replaced and it pressure tested.

I would leave the case/dial etc unrestored as it reflects the patina of life on that watch.

I know a number of folks who have had good luck with Mark here:

The watch is absolutely getting serviced even at Rolex retail relative to it’s likely value, even in its well used but not abused condition.

Let us know what you do.

Top Bottom