What's new

SE wedge razor users say hello

Take a look at the first part of this thread. The common razors that use wedge blades, as well as quite a few uncommon ones, are all pictured.

Gem Cutlery Co. introduced the Junior in 1907 which used a spined blade and from that point on only made razors using that type of blade. They came out with the Damaskeene blade (a spined blade) in 1911 and the Gem Damaskeene razors (which were the first 1912's) take their name from the "Use only with Gem Damaskeene blades" that was engraved into the inside of the base plate.

--Bob

If it is just 2 sillymeters too long, then it is a simple matter to make it just right, if required.

But I couldn't do that. It's in a brass clip wrapped in wax paper in a mint little Griffon lithographed? tin. It's too perfect, never used. Someone wants it since several bid against me. If I can't use the blade I will probably put it back on the auction for what I bought it for. Hopefully the bidder who was 2 dollars under my bid will see it. If not, it looks cool in my display case. OR: I could buy a Griffon razor!!

The standard wedge blade size is roughly 40 mm (1.57"), although I have some that are a little shorter - 38.5 mm or so. 42 mm sees a little long, although it still may fit in some razors designed for the 40 mm blade.

This applies to the Kampfe Bros. Star, Gem, C. V. Heljestrand and the various Rapides. There are undoubtedly others, but I have personal experience with those razors.

If you have only one blade it means . . . that you need to get more. :thumbup1:

--Bob

42mm is a wide blade. My original Wilkinson blades for the early Wilkinson non-stropping razor head that takes the vertically wide Wilkinson blades are only 41mm wide by 20mm high and those are almost too wide to fit either my Henckels Rapide or my CV Heljestrand. My original Henckels Rapide blades are 39.6mm and the CV Heljestrand blades are 40mm wide.

OK, so, from reading this thread:

A. I get the feeling my pockets are going to get much lighter in 2016.
B. The price range for wedges just went up on eBay. :lol:

Absolutely gorgeous razors, gentlemen! I've tried in the past to make an acquisition of one of these beautiful shaving instruments, but it has not been in the cards for me, yet. Be it luck or more money, maybe in 2016....

subscribed to thread!

A lot seems to depend on luck. I have a French PAX wedge blase lather catcher coming from GB that I just got for about $22 without a case. Bought with a CV Heljestrand in gold from the same seller so getting free shipping for the PAX.

Attachments

• Pax-3.jpg
    Pax-3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Pax-1.jpg
    Pax-1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 12
I saw a Griffon blade on eBay the other day.
I'm following a Kindal safety razor right now that I hope to snatch up when the auction is over.
It only comes with one blade though.

Kindal was not a brand but a Paris retail store that seems to have been the largest retailer of CV Heljestrand razors, safety and straight versions. 4 of my 5 CVH safety razors carry that retailer's name on the razor or the box.

Last edited:
42mm is a wide blade. My original Wilkinson blades for the early Wilkinson non-stropping razor head that takes the vertically wide Wilkinson blades are only 41mm wide by 20mm high and those are almost too wide to fit either my Henckels Rapide or my CV Heljestrand. My original Henckels Rapide blades are 39.6mm and the CV Heljestrand blades are 40mm wide.

CORRECTION

I have ONE Henckels Rapide that can take a Wilkinson Pall Mall tall blade, barely. It is the last model I believe and is distinguished by having a removable handle and a solid metal rather than bent wire blade top clamp. My other Rapides have heads too narrow to accept the Wilkinson blades.

Last edited:
A lot seems to depend on luck. I have a French PAX wedge blase lather catcher coming from GB that I just got for about $22 without a case. Bought with a CV Heljestrand in gold from the same seller so getting free shipping for the PAX.

That would be the luck I was talking about! :001_smile

Did both razors come with decent wedges?

That would be the luck I was talking about! :001_smile

Did both razors come with decent wedges?

PAX Blade not clearly pictured but I have minimally used wedge blades from several 7 day wedge sets. Gold CVH blade looks new in the picture. I need to take a couple and learn to hone and strop them. So far have used Gem blades but to use the Wilkinson razors I own I need to learn to care for their wedge blades. I have 7 tall Wilkinson blades and 9 short ones. Also 21+ CV Heljestrand wedge blades from 3 seven day sets and 10 Henckels wedge blades though some of the Henckels are very used. Most of the CVH blades show minimal use so far as I can tell. A Mulcuto 7 day set is also on the way with all blades. I think I have an adequate supply of wedge blades.

PAX Blade not clearly pictured but I have minimally used wedge blades from several 7 day wedge sets. Gold CVH blade looks new in the picture. I need to take a couple and learn to hone and strop them. So far have used Gem blades but to use the Wilkinson razors I own I need to learn to care for their wedge blades. I have 7 tall Wilkinson blades and 9 short ones. Also 21+ CV Heljestrand wedge blades from 3 seven day sets and 10 Henckels wedge blades though some of the Henckels are very used. Most of the CVH blades show minimal use so far as I can tell. A Mulcuto 7 day set is also on the way with all blades. I think I have an adequate supply of wedge blades.

I would say you have an adequate supply for several lifetimes! :001_302: Congrats!

Hello Shavers, I'm giving this thread a bump. Also, I have obtained a few wedge blade razors in the pass year. I now own several Wilkinson razors both Pall Mall and Empire, and Patent, a Rolls Razor, several Henckels Rapide, two French Hoe razors, Gem

My reason for bumping is there may be some new brethren who have gained a interest in this shaving system. Such as @deepdiver

I have a New Gem lather catcher with one wedge blade on the way. Per the photos the blade has some surface corrosion but looks like minimal wear so should be usable after clean-up, honing and stropping. This model gem looks to me like it strongly influenced the design of the CV Heljestrand blade stops equipped wedge blade razors as the blade side guide mechanism appears to be identical. I suspect that this may well be the first Gem razor and even though it is a wedge blade design, based on photos it appears to have blade stops so should be usable with modern Gem blades.

Gem-first-6.jpg
Gem-First-7.jpg
Gem-first-1.jpg

I have a New Gem lather catcher with one wedge blade on the way. Per the photos the blade has some surface corrosion but looks like minimal wear so should be usable after clean-up, honing and stropping. This model gem looks to me like it strongly influenced the design of the CV Heljestrand blade stops equipped wedge blade razors as the blade side guide mechanism appears to be identical. I suspect that this may well be the first Gem razor and even though it is a wedge blade design, based on photos it appears to have blade stops so should be usable with modern Gem blades.

View attachment 791340 View attachment 791341 View attachment 791342
Great score Rwoodreno, would be interested to know how it shaves once you get it cleaned up and may want to use one of your CVH blades.

Hello Shavers, I'm giving this thread a bump. Also, I have obtained a few wedge blade razors in the pass year. I now own several Wilkinson razors both Pall Mall and Empire, and Patent, a Rolls Razor, several Henckels Rapide, two French Hoe razors, Gem

My reason for bumping is there may be some new brethren who have gained a interest in this shaving system. Such as @deepdiver
Interest? I would say it's more of an obsession lol.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher..
proxy.php
:001_smile
proxy.php

Another shot..
proxy.php
proxy.php

Four Shaving Pass Routine..
proxy.php

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher
NOS Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x 4
Semogue Boar Brush
Test Trial Tallow Shaving Soap
Organic Aloe Vera Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Balm (From Germany)

I just had the most wonderful shave this morning with my CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher & Hollow Ground Blade...An Old Gent from the USA once warned about the Dangers of going down the Hollow Ground Blade Rabbit Hole...He told me that I would be soon selling all my other SEs...Well ..I now know what this Old Timer was talkin about...Well with the exception of my Injectors of course...
proxy.php
:lol:

Anybody that's even thinking about going down this path...Get a CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher Now...This Swedish work of Art are just the Dogs Danglies...Its a deceptively Aggressive Razor & offered me an all over BBS Result that I would expect from an Early Schick Type E 2 Injector & no bones about it..The CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher is quite aggressive but ever so smooth & forgiving...My blade was ever so sharp and smooth today...There is not much more to say except the CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher has just taken the Crown from the Gem Crowned Lather Catcher..
proxy.php
:biggrin1:

Billy

Billy, if you look around you may luck into a stainless steel version of the CV Heljestrand razor. I am greedy and have bought six of the generation you have pictured and half are stainless steel versions. One piece handle and no Kindle stamp on the razor head seem to be the defining characteristics. At a glance they look like the chrome plated brass version though differences are noticeable in a side by side comparison.

Rich Wood

The Kampfe Bros. Star, C. V. Heljestrand, Rapide and the early Gem lather catchers all use the same wedge blade.

Recently I was fortunate to score a lot of NOS C. V. Heljestrand blades, and I use them in all of my wedge blade razors.

Except, as you mentioned, the Wilkinson (the Rolls blade is also a different size, in addition to having a guard).

--Bob

I have a Mulcuto which uses the wide blades like the Wilkinson Pall Mall and a acquaintance reports that his OBLYC also needs the wider blades and has blade stops too wide apart for Gem blades or Henckels wedge blades. So not all of the old wedge blade razors can use the CVH or Henckels blades.

I never said that they all could; merely that there appears to have been some degree of standardization among some of the manufacturers.

--Bob

The bump is much appreciated.

Although I now have a Rolls, Kampfe Bros Star, a Henckels Rapide, & now a Wilkinson Empire that all take "wedge" blades, I know little about them & have never shaved with one.

Wedge Razors.JPG

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Top Bottom