What's new

SE wedge razor users say hello

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I thought I was over RAD but you guys got it going again. I like the learning curve of new shaving methods and getting wedge razors up to speed is perfect for this. Thanks you guys!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah I have kinda jumped in with both feet too, Kent. they have a lot of cool factor. Between wedge SE's and injectors, my straight projects and shaving are getting put off badly.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I know the Wilkie uses a different blade than, say the Star, but what about the Rapide and Helje? Any chance they all use the same blade?

The Kampfe Bros. Star, C. V. Heljestrand, Rapide and the early Gem lather catchers all use the same wedge blade.

Recently I was fortunate to score a lot of NOS C. V. Heljestrand blades, and I use them in all of my wedge blade razors.

Except, as you mentioned, the Wilkinson (the Rolls blade is also a different size, in addition to having a guard).

--Bob

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow that would be cool to score a bunch of NOS blades! I wonder if our friends in Ningbo would be interested in making a few hundred...

NOS Hejiestrand blades..:w00t:
proxy.php

These are the NOS Blades that Bob is referring to..I got a Batch as Well..:001_cool:

Billy

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Too bad the Rolls uses a different blade. And the Wilkie. They were such retards to not use the prevailing form factor for blades.

NOS Hejiestrand blades..:w00t:
proxy.php

These are the NOS Blades that Bob is referring to..I got a Batch as Well..:001_cool:

Billy

New to the old school SE family. I have 2 blades, both used. Where do you search for blades like you found? I would like to find a couple extras but am hopeful this type of blade will last a long time with proper care. How long should one last?

New to the old school SE family. I have 2 blades, both used. Where do you search for blades like you found? I would like to find a couple extras but am hopeful this type of blade will last a long time with proper care. How long should one last?
These came up in the UK from a Swedish Seller & I informed a few of the Boys at the time that I knew that were into them..There was Batches getting sold for some months for a Darn Good Price..I know he has None left cause a Friend of mine PM the Seller some months after the Listings & he informed me that he got the Last Batch...This was a sort of One of thing as I haven't seen them getting sold like this before..:001_cool:

Billy

As Billy said, the Heljestrand blades were pretty much a one time opportunity (Thanks, Billy!) and sadly, they're all gone.

The most common way of acquiring these blades is simple - they come with the razors. When evaluating one of these razors on the auction site, the number of blades included and their condition is nearly as important as that of the razor itself.

Loose blades occasionally turn up for bid, the most common being the Kampfe Bros. Star blades, often in a little tin.

Fortunately, as mentioned earlier in the thread there is some interchangeability, and with proper care a few blades should last a lifetime.

--Bob

How much us.d$ would one expect to pay for a rolls blade in new/near new condition? I found a wedge razor blade today with a hone. The hone is broken the case is in good shape

Discovered my extra blade is 42 mm and for a Griffon razor. My travel razor width is 40 mm. Are Kampfe/Star also 40 mm?

Hey Bob: re. "Fortunately, as mentioned earlier in the thread there is some interchangeability, and with proper care a few blades should last a lifetime."

Since I only have one does that mean I get about 30 years? :)

Last edited:
I saw a Griffon blade on eBay the other day.
I'm following a Kindal safety razor right now that I hope to snatch up when the auction is over.
It only comes with one blade though.

Discovered my extra blade is 42 mm and for a Griffon razor. My travel razor width is 40 mm. Are Kampfe/Star also 40 mm?

Hey Bob: re. "Fortunately, as mentioned earlier in the thread there is some interchangeability, and with proper care a few blades should last a lifetime."

Since I only have one does that mean I get about 30 years? :)

The standard wedge blade size is roughly 40 mm (1.57"), although I have some that are a little shorter - 38.5 mm or so. 42 mm sees a little long, although it still may fit in some razors designed for the 40 mm blade.

This applies to the Kampfe Bros. Star, Gem, C. V. Heljestrand and the various Rapides. There are undoubtedly others, but I have personal experience with those razors.

If you have only one blade it means . . . that you need to get more. :thumbup1:

--Bob

I was looking at some of these for my 1912. Just can't find one worth forking the dough out for on the bay.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Top Bottom