What's new

SE wedge razor users say hello

I own several lather catchers and hoe type razors, and find it hard to locate other users, experiences etc. I do own other SE's and DE's, but my daily shave comes from a SE wedge blade.

Thanks!

I own several lather catchers and hoe type razors, and find it hard to locate other users, experiences etc. I do own other SE's and DE's, but my daily shave comes from a SE wedge blade.

Thanks!
I have only recently started shaving with Hollow Ground blades but I will Kick of a few threads on my recent experinces.:w00t:

Billy

Wilkinson Empire..
proxy.php
:w00t:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Three Shaving Pass Routine..
proxy.php
:001_smile

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Wilkinson Empire SE
NOS Wilkinson Wedge Blade x 4
Semogue Boar Brush
Ingram Shaving Cream (added Argan oil)
Organic Aloe Vera Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Balm (From Germany)

I pulled out my Wilkinson Empire today ...This is a Fairly Aggressive shaver...I used an original wedge blade in the Empire...The Empire came with 3 NOS Shave Ready Blades..I haven't had to Hone this blade as yet...I have stropped it before and after shaving with it & its keeping it shave ready...I must be doing something correct..I am no expert here...The Wilkinson wedge blade is a lot smaller than more standard wedge blades...These a are very hard to get a hold of and a bit tricky to strop...There is a bit of a learning curve with these wedge blades...I done two WTG Passes with a slide technique that I have learned from using straights....Then a Final ATG Pass...
proxy.php

This is where a Slick lather is Paramount...You can sort of get away with going over an area of the face without Re- lathering with a factory blade...I cant do this with a wedge blade...A wedge blade requires a really slick lather at all times....These blades are very forgiving like a traditional straight for me anyway...I keep this razor on the move as it touches my face until I complete the stroke...I use short strokes on the first pass and then long strokes in subsequent passes..These Wedge blades come into their own after the first pass...I ended up with a Mixed DFS & BBS Result....Not a cut or a single weeper..I enjoyed my wedge blade shave today...Its an experience to behold...
proxy.php
:001_cool:

Billy

Last edited:
French L" Essor..
proxy.php
proxy.php

Another Shot..
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

French L" Essor
NOS Heljestrand Wedge Blade (New)
Semogue Boar Brush
Erasmic Shaving Soap (added Argan oil)
Organic Aloe Vera Gel

I got some NOS Swedish Heljestrand Wedge blades recently...I gave this one a 100 lashes on the strop and gave it a Test Drive in my French L "Essor...The L" Essor is a lot milder than the Wilkinson Empire I used yesterday...Its a lot smoother though..Smooth as Silk..I would go as far as suggesting that there is no Factory Blade that can shave as Comfortably as the L" Essor Wedge Blade Razor...Comfort is the Operative Word Here...This was a very pleasurable shave...I ended up with a Nice DFS Result...The end result feels like something that is akin to a Traditional Straight Razor Shave...The L" Essor Wedge Blade Combo is like a Vintage Harley Davison to me in that they just Ooze Nostalgia and Beautiful Iron at its Best..
proxy.php

Billy​

Last edited:
Very interesting razors. the OP that started this thread should post a picture of his own. If you don't post a picture, you don't own one. Can we see a picture of just the blade to see what it looks like?

French Louis Hoe Razor..
proxy.php
proxy.php

Another shot..:001_smile
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
:blink:

French Louis Hoe Razor
NOS Heljestrand hollow ground blade x 2
Semogue Boar Brush
Organic Aloe Vera Gel

I had a shave today with my French Louis Hoe Razor with a Heljestrand hollow ground blade ...I will just refer to it as a Wedge blade for the purposes of this write up here although I have been informed that its technically a hollow ground..I found the Louis to be a bit more aggressive than the L "Essor that I used the other day...The Louis sits somewhere between the Wilkinson Empire & the L" Essor in terms of aggression...It was just about as smooth as the L" Essor I reckon...I was immediately struck by how sharp the Wedge blade was today...Perhaps my stropping is getting better & or the blade is settling in from being new & unused...Might be a combination of both...
proxy.php
:001_huh:

I am stropping the Blade x 50 on each side before & after that I shave with it...This was recommended to me from an Old Timer from the USA...A comment from UK Rob would be most welcome on that one..This routine seems to be working well for me...It doesn't take as long as one might think..Its like a Ritual & I am enjoying it...Its very rewarding to shave with a blade that you have sharpened yourself...I have came to realize that all this fuss that can be made over the weight of a razor/handles, soaps and angles and whatnot just pales into insignificance when you are going down the Wedge blade Rabbit Hole...There are just more thing to get on with that are far more technical...Just the way it is for me...I was thinking today that the Old Gents from the Past would have a field day about some of the Scientific discussions in Forums..:001_rolle
proxy.php

That said..I need to find a Slicker Soap here & I am not willing to stick a Tallow Soap on my face..It was almost all Tallow based soaps that were getting used during the Epoch of these Old Razors..I have something coming from India that just might be the stuff for the job...:blink:
proxy.php

This is just a get on with Rabbit Hole through Trial & Error..I am getting more confident with my shaves with these Wedge blades...They are Nothing to be Frightened of that's for sure...What I have in my hands is essentially a Short Hollow Ground blade like a Straight...I am so glad that I have experienced a Straight Razor shave here because there are some similarities in the Feel of them at least...Its so easy to have a serious accident with these blades when handling them...They are Evil Sharp & Rigid & have the Capacity to give you a really Bad Day...
proxy.php
:mad3:

I done x 2 WTG passes with a slide technique & a Final ATG pass...I have noticed that the stubble in the sink it a lot more finer than a shave with Modern blades...These old blades are the Epitome of Whisker Reduction that's for sure...I have shaved with the Louis with a Modern Gem blade..Here is the thing...I have found that the Louis will offer a closer BBS result with the Gem blade...That said ...The journey is not as enjoyable & or smooth with a Modern Gem blade...Its not like for like or up for comparison I don't think..But hey...Its early days & maybe I will end up with an all over BBS result with the Wedge blade as my stropping skills improves ...:w00t:
proxy.php

I ended up with a DFS result today...The L " Essor seemed to shave that bit closer but there is so many variables going on here...I Damn Fine Shave today & which I really enjoyed...Good Karma..
proxy.php

Billy

Gem Crowned Lather Catcher..:001_smile
proxy.php

proxy.php

Another Shot..
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
:001_rolle

Gem Crowned Lather Catcher
NOS Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x3
Semogue Boar Brush
Organic Aloe Vera Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Splash (From Germany)

:w00t: I had a shave today with my Gem Crowned Lather Catcher & Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade...Well..I hit the Money Button Today as I ended up with the most wonderful all over BBS result...The Coveted Dolphin Smooth Finnish...I would have expected this result from an Injector...I have used this Lather Catcher with a current Gem blade but the Wedge blade today just blew that away...The Heljestrand blade today was very sharp & smooth...It felt a bit blunt after my first WTG Pass & I stropped it x 50 times a side and well what can I say.folks...
proxy.php

The thing is here is that when the blade feels its loosing its edge you just cant pop in another unless you have shave ready spare of course..Something I need to do actually...No hassle though .Just adds to the excitement and the experience ..On the subject of excitement...I was as excited as a Boy today over my shaving experience...This Gem Crowned Lather Catcher is indeed the Crown Jewel..I have always said that the folks from the USA know how to make some the Best Razors in the World. Oh Yeah..Guns as well as course..
proxy.php

I am learning to dial into the Comb rather than the angle of the blade with this Shaving System...Its a different mind set from shaving with a Modern Shaving System for me anyway...I have discovered that by dialling into the comb everything takes care of its self...That said..For more than a few moments I felt that I could have been shaving with a Modern Injector System... Doesn't quite figure that one I know but there it is...I have to say ...Anybody that thinks that shaving with the Gem Lather Catcher & Heljestrand Hollow ground Blade is a step backwards just needs to experience this for themselves ...
proxy.php
:biggrin1:

I was blown away today..
proxy.php

Billy

CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher..
proxy.php
proxy.php

Another shot..
proxy.php
proxy.php

Four Shaving Pass Routine..
proxy.php

CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher
NOS Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x 4
Semogue Boar Brush
Test Trial Tallow Shaving Soap
Organic Aloe Vera Gel

I just had the most wonderful shave this morning with my CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher & Hollow Ground Blade...An Old Gent from the USA once warned about the Dangers of going down the Hollow Ground Blade Rabbit Hole...He told me that I would be soon selling all my other SEs...Well ..I now know what this Old Timer was talkin about...Well with the exception of my Injectors of course...
proxy.php
:lol:

Anybody that's even thinking about going down this path...Get a CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher Now...This Swedish work of Art are just the Dogs Danglies...Its a deceptively Aggressive Razor & offered me an all over BBS Result that I would expect from an Early Schick Type E 2 Injector & no bones about it..The CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher is quite aggressive but ever so smooth & forgiving...My blade was ever so sharp and smooth today...There is not much more to say except the CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher has just taken the Crown from the Gem Crowned Lather Catcher..
proxy.php
:biggrin1:

Billy

Rolls Razor..
proxy.php
proxy.php

Another shot..
proxy.php
proxy.php

I just pressed the button on this Hollow Ground Blade Rolls Razor...This one has a spare NOS blade an all..I am on a Roll with my Hollow Ground Blade Razors at the moment..
proxy.php

A shave report will follow after I get my hands on it and of course what it involves getting these blades shave ready..
proxy.php

Billy

Very interesting razors. the OP that started this thread should post a picture of his own. If you don't post a picture, you don't own one. Can we see a picture of just the blade to see what it looks like?
There is a picture of the blade in some of these photos...:thumbup1:

Billy

I love wedge blade razors. Actually, I love all things single edge, but especially wedge blade razors.

The term itself is a misnomer. It came about as a way to distinguish between razors using the type of blade designed to be honed and stropped and the ones using the more modern spined blades.

Anyone familiar with straight razors will tell you that the "wedge blades" are not wedges at all, but hollow-ground. A true wedge blade has flat sides. Billy is using the correct terminology above, but when you start talking about hollow-ground blades, most people assume you're talking about straight razors.

They are incredibly cool razors by any name.

Here is a Kampfe Bros. Star 1887 model:

$kampfe877.JPG

Loaded up and ready to go:

$kampfe875.JPG

Kampfe Bros. Star 1887, 1897, 1902 (left to right, below)

$kampe_set1.JPG

Kampfe Bros. Star 1897, below:

$kampfe97_1.JPG

Kampfe Bros. Star 1901:

$star01_1.JPG

--Bob

But wait, there's more!

Kampfe Bros. Star 1902:

$star1.JPG

Here is a Rolls Viscount, along with another shot of the Star 1887:

$rollskampfe.jpg

Here is a "New Gem" circa 1905:

$newgem1.JPG

Wilkinson Sword Empire 7 Day set:

$ws2.JPG

I'm in complete agreement with Billy that the C. V. Heljestrand is in a class by itself. If you ever get a chance, grab one of these. It won't be cheap - do it anyway. You won't regret it.

$sotd12_05.jpg

--Bob

The C. V. Heljestrand is indeed in a class by itself...The C. V. Heljestrand & Heljestrand Hollow ground blade were designed together and you cant but help but feel that when you are putting them together...The tolerance's are just perfect..Its fits like a glove..The C. V. Heljestrand is a precision made Shaving Instrument and its got to be experienced to be appreciated...An Engineering Marvel & Industrial piece of Art as well...Anybody that is serious about shaving with this Hollow Ground Blade System wouldn't regret getting one of these..I would go as far as suggesting that the C. V. Heljestrand was and is the Absolute Pinnacle of this Shaving System...This thing is like Aircraft Engineering standard...:w00t:

Billy

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. We prefer broad (generalized) categories that get lots of attention over narrow (specific) ones that get little BUT HIGHLY INFORMATIVE threads. Like this one...

One thing we can do, is make a thread that contains links to important (not all) threads about wedge razors/lather catchers. And when I say we, I mean forum users not mods or stews.

Welcome to the B&B, can't wait to see what you have in your collection!

Love old lather catchers.

PS. the only SE razor I use is an E type schick.

-jim

It is a Tip Top. Interesting French razor. Wedge loads from the side, and a screw adjusts the blade from a mild to a really aggressive shave. An early 20'th century Fatboy

I have a number of these, but I think the Wilkinson Sword Patent Roller Safety Shaver is my favourite:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom