What's new

SE Star Razor ID help needed

Looking for information regarding some STAR SE razors/cases:
I have this STAR razor that I'd never seen before. Inside the head, it says: "Star Super Six Pat. 1-14-14 Kampfe Bros. NY USA" Since it says Kampfe Bros., my best guess is that it was one that was made at the end of the "Lather-Catcher" phase before STAR quit putting Kampfe Bros. on their razors.
$P1010064.jpg$P1010066.jpg$P1010063.jpg$P1010062.jpg$P1010060.jpg

It came in this case, which also is very similar to another STAR lather-catcher case that I have, but I never felt sure if it was the right case since the case says "Cru-Steel" and the razor doesn't. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Hoping some of you guys that have some of the old STAR magazine ads or other identifying pictures, etc. can help. Thanks!!

Your guess is a good one. There is a brief entry in Waits Compendium on the Star Super Six (1914-1915), which states in part, "Possibly the last razor that used the Kampfe name."

It was designed to use the Star Cru-Steel blades, so it is possible that it could be in the original case. The 4-14-14 patent is actually for "Locking Means for Safety Razor Blades."

It's certainly an interesting razor, looking like some sort of cross between a lather catcher and an Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead.

I'd hang onto it.

--Bob

Thanks, Bob... is there a picture of it there in the case? I'm hoping that someone may have an old ad with a picture or something.

Waits has no pictures at all of the Star Super Six - just a copy of one of the patent drawings. A quick google search did not turn up any ads.

--Bob

... it possibly morphed into this:

proxy.php

That's what I wondered, but it can't be because I just looked at my razor like the two you showed in this picture, and its patent is actually a month earlier (March 24, 1914)

...erm ... yes ...now :D

I won an auction yesterday and so it's yet to arrive, but it's the 'Super Six' or 'No.5' (in the Kampfe catalogue of the day) c.1919.

It looks like a variant of the 'Seven Blade Set' which carried a flip open lather catcher, while the razor is most definitely a 'Cru-Steel' era.

These Star Super Six razors are fantastic. I have one that was a WWI military issue.

$StarSuperSix1.jpg$StarSuperSix3.jpg$StarSuperSix5.jpg

Just as a heads up, a lot of these have a rather weakened blade holding mechanisms. I have found that by removing the spine of an SE blade and using it to "double Spine" the blade you get the approximate angle of the slightly thicker Star Cru-Steel blades that these were designed for as well as preventing the blade from moving backward. You can thus bypass the blade holding mechanism completely as the double spine will hold the blade firmly once you close the top.

When the blade is held properly in place this is an amazingly efficient and close shaving razor, as even the MMOC doesn't really surpass it.

There is a 1915 variant of this razor. Here some pictures of both together.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is funny that the 1915 actually looks more like a throw back to the early Star razors than the 1914 Super Six.

Congrats on getting a rare and wonderful razor!

Sweet! I just bagged one myself, which should arrive in a week or so ... just like the one on the left in this last picture.

AnthonyD,
If you decide to sell or trade the 1915, let me know! :thumbup1: Also, I'm not quite following you regarding the instructions re: the spine of the SE blade... can you post a picture of how you're doing that blade? Thanks!
Cleave

These Star Super Six razors are fantastic. I have one that was a WWI military issue.

View attachment 562565View attachment 562566View attachment 562567

Just as a heads up, a lot of these have a rather weakened blade holding mechanisms. I have found that by removing the spine of an SE blade and using it to "double Spine" the blade you get the approximate angle of the slightly thicker Star Cru-Steel blades that these were designed for as well as preventing the blade from moving backward. You can thus bypass the blade holding mechanism completely as the double spine will hold the blade firmly once you close the top.

When the blade is held properly in place this is an amazingly efficient and close shaving razor, as even the MMOC doesn't really surpass it.

There is a 1915 variant of this razor. Here some pictures of both together.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is funny that the 1915 actually looks more like a throw back to the early Star razors than the 1914 Super Six.

Congrats on getting a rare and wonderful razor!

Great information guys, that's why BB has the best knowledge base on traditional shaving, because of members like you.

AnthonyD,
If you decide to sell or trade the 1915, let me know! :thumbup1: Also, I'm not quite following you regarding the instructions re: the spine of the SE blade... can you post a picture of how you're doing that blade? Thanks!
Cleave

Hi Cleave,

Sorry that I haven't been able to respond before now, but I have had so much on the plate that I haven't had time to post on the forum for the last month or so, but in case you are still interested here is what I am talking about; the original Star Cru-Steel blades are much thicker than modern blades. Here is a picture of the Cru-Steel blade next to an ASR 009RD blade.

$Cru-Steel1.jpg

When the original blade is inserted in the Star Super Six it actually wedges in place just by the thickness of the blade so the pressurizer arm that holds the blade in place is barely even needed with the original blade; however, that is not the case with a modern blade. The modern blade lies flatter and is prone to moving backward and thus making the shave very mild, so you can remove the spine from a used SE modern blade and use it to double spine a modern blade to achieve a similar effect. You can check out Youtube for a video of how to remove the spine (it is very easy) and it looks like this when removed.

$Spine.jpg

Then you can place that over the spine of the blade to be used like this---

$DoubleSpine1.jpg$DoubleSpine2.jpg

You can close the door over top of this and you'll not only get a blade that can't slip backward but it will be held at a more similar angle to the original blade.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Anthony,
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but thanks for your response and taking the time to show me what you meant... I appreciate it!!
Cleave

Hi Cleave,

Sorry that I haven't been able to respond before now, but I have had so much on the plate that I haven't had time to post on the forum for the last month or so, but in case you are still interested here is what I am talking about; the original Star Cru-Steel blades are much thicker than modern blades. Here is a picture of the Cru-Steel blade next to an ASR 009RD blade.

View attachment 571519

When the original blade is inserted in the Star Super Six it actually wedges in place just by the thickness of the blade so the pressurizer arm that holds the blade in place is barely even needed with the original blade; however, that is not the case with a modern blade. The modern blade lies flatter and is prone to moving backward and thus making the shave very mild, so you can remove the spine from a used SE modern blade and use it to double spine a modern blade to achieve a similar effect. You can check out Youtube for a video of how to remove the spine (it is very easy) and it looks like this when removed.

View attachment 571520

Then you can place that over the spine of the blade to be used like this---

View attachment 571521View attachment 571522

You can close the door over top of this and you'll not only get a blade that can't slip backward but it will be held at a more similar angle to the original blade.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

I have came to the same conclusions regarding these old SEs ......Here is the SHIMMING method that I have been using for some time....Just a wee variation from above.....:thumbup1:

THE FERGIEBILLY SHIM......:w00t:

HERE IS HOW TO DO IT...... http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=32513

With the Modification, you will find that the shaving angle of these older razors is closer to the face as per the manufactures instructions and that the comb is leading and smoothing and stretching the skin whilst offering protection from the blade exposure.....The razor becomes markedly more aggressive cutter on the whiskers whilst being more smoother and efficient shaver even with a new blade......

PLEASE NOTE......
Your shaving angle needs to be spot on with the Modification.....If its not you will experience some blade chatter due to the fact that modern blades are not as rigid as the older stropping blades as you now have the correct gap which is wider between the blade and comb......

This can happen anyway when your shaving angle is off course with modern SE blades in older razors even without the Modification....... In my experience this never happens with more modern SEs..........
proxy.php

Billy

Last edited:
Top Bottom