What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

I am continuing my week with my GEM Jr. using up my Blue Star blades before going to my large supply of PFTE blades.

I like to use a razor for a week, that way I believe I will get to know how to get a better shave with it.

02/04/15 February Focus on Blades

Prep - Hot Shower
Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
Blade – Feather Pro (4)
Brush – Rudy Vey Rover Briar with Shavemac Finest 26mm/52mm

Lather – AOS Sandalwood Cream

Post - Witch Hazel and AOS AS Balm

02/05/15

Prep - Hot Shower
Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
Blade – Feather Pro (5)
Brush – Rudy Vey Rover Briar with Shavemac Finest 26mm/52mm
Lather – MdC
Post - Witch Hazel and Dove AS Balm

$20150205_091418.jpg

I'm still working with my Wilkinson Sword Empire, which had proven to be an exceptionally mild razor, even with the blade cranked all the way out. I've got six of the seven wedge blades shaveable. Or at least I think they're shaveable, but more on that in a moment.

Today's shave:

Prep: Hot shower
PSO: Crew
Brush: MadeRite 100% Bristle
Lather: Derby Lemon Cream
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Empire w' "Thursday" wedge blade and 40 passes on the strop and FeOx on the strop last night.
AS: Thayer's Lemon
Frag: Fonex Lemon cologne

Today's shave was 7 (count 'em, 7!) passes. I've been using this razor all week now and am getting consistent results that are acceptable, but not the DFS / + that I'm used to. Earlier in the week, I played around with the blade adjustment and the angle. Today I tried high angle with the blade all the way extended. After my standard four passes, I was not even SAS, so I made three more and buffed the neck and jawline a bit.. That yielded a CCS consistent with the shaves from earlier this week.

I've also used a cut-down Personna SS shaper blade with this razor and had a much closer shave which indicates to me that the wedge blades perhaps aren't sharp enough. Here's the thing though: the blades don't feel dull on my face at all. It's not like a Rolls blade that needs The razor doesn't feel like it's skipping over my beard, or pulling, and there's no irritation whatsoever (even after this morning's abuse...) from the alum.

I'll continue to march through the weekend, and probably next week to see whether or not it's technique or the blades. I'm very curious now.

Best,
Jerry

View attachment 546315

I'm still working with my Wilkinson Sword Empire...

Today's shave was 7 (count 'em, 7!) passes. I've been using this razor all week now and am getting consistent results that are acceptable, but not the DFS / + that I'm used to. Earlier in the week, I played around with the blade adjustment and the angle. Today I tried high angle with the blade all the way extended. After my standard four passes, I was not even SAS, so I made three more and buffed the neck and jawline a bit.. That yielded a CCS consistent with the shaves from earlier this week.

I've also used a cut-down Personna SS shaper blade with this razor and had a much closer shave which indicates to me that the wedge blades perhaps aren't sharp enough. Here's the thing though: the blades don't feel dull on my face at all. It's not like a Rolls blade that needs The razor doesn't feel like it's skipping over my beard, or pulling, and there's no irritation whatsoever (even after this morning's abuse...) from the alum.

I'll continue to march through the weekend, and probably next week to see whether or not it's technique or the blades. I'm very curious now.

Best,
Jerry
Very interesting - it could be technique cos I can get a shave only slightly inferior to the Rolls using an Empire with a wedge blade, and it's a very nice comfortable 3-pass DFS.

But I cannot get a decent shave with the Pall Mall at all using wedge blades honed using exactly the same regime as the Empire blades and other wedges which give a great shave in my lathercatcher.

Right now, I'm kind of wondering about how the blade geometry compares between the wedges and the Personna. I might look at that this weekend.

Right now, I'm kind of wondering about how the blade geometry compares between the wedges and the Personna. I might look at that this weekend.
Yes - it certainly bears investigation. I think we're spoiled a bit with the Rolls because of the freedom it gives with angle.
I generally much prefer the shaves with OEM wedge blades to modded GEMs but like I said with the Pall Mall I just haven't got a good shave...yet :)

Top Bottom