What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200803
Razor (XTG/ATG x 2): GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (6)

Razor (WTG): Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (5)
20200803_173921~2.jpg

Razor: Black Aluminum General Head with Timeless Aluminum Handle
Blade: Kai Pink (3)
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Proraso Green Pre Shave
Soap: B&M Reserve Classic
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar T2
Post Shave: Alum Stick, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man EDT

Two pass efficient shave, BBS.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD. Tue, Aug 4th 2020

Razor: Oneblade Core V2- Mfg 2018 > good daily driver, mild razor with the swivel head. 3 pass needed.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE modified(4) Excellent in all respects that make a blade stand out.
Soap: Razorock XXX- excellent scent and great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi rainbow with brown whiskers 26 mm - Great lather making in any type of soap with soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep:Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickips.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor aftershave with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Oneblade core & Gem blade.
SE SOTD, Tue, Aug 4th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves & take care in these times!

Lovely, lovely razors, those Little Lather Catcher ER1914s. The design just comes together and gives a closer, smoother shave than the general run of 1912 Gems -- although only slightly so. Although mine's happier if I do a 3-pass shave with it (as I find most razors of that vintage are), it's efficient enough particularly with a new Gem PTFE blade that a 2-pass shave is attainable without too much trepidation.

Just unusual enough to make a nice change in your rotation occasionally, even to be a long-term user if you're really liking it. Even if you just use it once a year it's probably worth it. You can't be out much money on it, so your Smiles-Per-Dollar rate ought to be pretty high!

O.H.

It is certainly interesting to use. Was worried about how aggressive it would be, from all I had read. But I think a 1912 might have been too mild for me. With shipping it was 49 USD, once I convert it from NOK. Though keep in mind that it was in good condition, had a case and it is not that common to find over here in Norway.

But to go more back on topic, todays shave was:

Razor: Ever-ready 1914
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE
Brush: RazoRock barber handle 24 plissoft synthetic shaving brush
Pre-shave: Proraso green pre-shave cream
Soap: Depot no. 404 soothing shaving soap cream
Aftershave: Proraso green pre-shave cream and Nivea Men sensetive aftershave balm

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday August 5, 2020
Razor: Blackland Sabre L2
Blade: PTFE (2)
Soap: Proraso Green

IMG_0403[1].JPG

While thrashing around under the sink looking for something else I found a tub of Proraso green that I'd barely started some time back. Since I was holding it anyway I set it on the counter and used it this morning. Compared to my homemade shave soap this stuff made a wonderful fluffy thick lather -- which seemed to just evaporate off my head. :mad1: And I used to think this was great stuff! The shave was good, and I ended up making a couple bowls of lather, so I guess it's OK. Less residual slickness than I'm used to, however. Which reminds me it's almost time to make soap again.

DFS+ verging on BBS -- and as I hoped the L2 Sabre has the same way of making the first couple of shaves on a fresh blade feel really smooth.

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur Aug 6th 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic, flyingwing, MMBT, Guiding eye......-Mfg 1947-50
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)- Excellent blade.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore- Great scent with excellent lather qualities :001_wub:
Brush : Yaqi Timber Wolf whiskers 24mm Synthetic- great brush for making lather quickly with nice soft tips, cloud feel.
Pre Shave: Shower + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green after shave lotion + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:great shave with my Gem Micromatic Flying wing.

SE SOTD. Thur. Aug 6th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay safe in these times!

Razor: Schick L3 The Grip
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Supply Silvertip Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Brandy Spice
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

20200806_080735.jpg

Top Bottom