What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Sun 2nd August.

RazoRock S/S Hawk V3-OC & Kai Pink ( 4 )

IMG_0919.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave,Aug 2nd 2020

Razor: Schick i2 type, Hydro Magic- Mfg 1954-57- very nice milder mid range for those days you just would like a DFS.
Blade: Personna injector: Very sharp and gets better for smoothness as you get up in # of shaves IMO.
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- nice summer scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic Sagrada Familia- Excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Pre-shave: Brush wash the whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock American barber with witch hazel + A tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Great shave with my i2 Schick injector today.

Sunday Schick shave, Aug2nd 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Today was a little different:
  • Razor: Type L clone
  • Blade: Unknown, preloaded in razor (1)
  • Brush: RazoRock Plissoft synthetic
  • Cream: C.O. Bigelow
For the first go in years with an injector razor, the shave wasn't awful. My lather was its usual slickness and the first WTG pass was smooth and uneventful, but things went downhill on the subsequent XTG/ATG pass, as I burned myself a little bit under my nose and gave myself a little nick to go with the burn. Overall, a pretty close shave, but I'm not thrilled yet. I'm calling today's shave a 6/10 and looking forward to trying the razor again with one of the Chinese Schick I ordered the other day.

Today was a little different:
  • Razor: Type L clone
  • Blade: Unknown, preloaded in razor (1)
For the first go in years with an injector razor, the shave wasn't awful. My lather was its usual slickness and the first WTG pass was smooth and uneventful, but things went downhill on the subsequent XTG/ATG pass, as I burned myself a little bit under my nose and gave myself a little nick to go with the burn. Overall, a pretty close shave, but I'm not thrilled yet. I'm calling today's shave a 6/10 and looking forward to trying the razor again with one of the Chinese Schick I ordered the other day.
Why a Clone rather than the original ? I have heard it is not as good either.

Why a Clone rather than the original ? I have heard it is not as good either.
Mostly because I wanted a new razor rather than a used vintage model and didn't want to pay the insane prices I was seeing for NOS razors. It's built well and seems to shave fine; my subpar shave was probably user error rather than the razor, although the blade could be a little rough as well.

Razor: Schick I2 Hydro-Magic Injector Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200801_075209.jpg

Back to the tried and true:
  • Razor: RazoRock Satin Hawk V2
  • Blade: Feather AC Pro (7)
Absolutely excellent shave today, even in my normal trouble spots. A solid 9/10 effort. At this point, I'm beginning to wonder why I own any other razors and why I kept the Hawk in the drawer for so long.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Aug 03 2020- Good morning to all, thought I would use my ASR Everready 1914 today, I always get great shaves with this razor and the Audio feed back lets you know where the stubble is still hiding on the face. Beard stubble does not stand much of a chance with the ER 1914 and is a nice mid range. I rarely get irritation or weepers even with a new blade. Excellent razor.....
Razor: Everready 1914(AKA LLC or Little lather catcher) with 1st generation blade stops- Mfg 1914-17 excellent mid range IMO with great audio feedback.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic with black marble handle- Favorite brush for lathering + soft tips.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) :001_wub: Very sharp and smooths out over time, great longevity & very inexpensive per shave.
Soap: Razorock XXX:thumbsup:- I like the freshness scent with great lather qualities.(A.S. same scent after dry down)
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX:thumbsup: with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1914 LLC razor.

MMMonday Aug 3 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Think safe in these times!

Razor: Gem Junior with brass bulldog handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200802_075104.jpg

Razor: Black Aluminum General head, Timeless Aluminum handle
Blade: Kai Pink (2)
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Bloom water, Crown Pre Shave
Soap: B&M Reserve Classic
Brush: Simpson's Petrol Head
Post Shave: Alum Stick, Stirling Unscented Post Shave Balm, TOBS Sandalwood AS

Wonderful two pass shave, BBS

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Monday August 3, 2020
Razor: Blackland Sabre L2
Blade: Personna Stainless PTFE (1)
Soap: OH Puck!

IMG_0403[1].JPG

As promised: "Double-clutch, blip the throttle, and shift 'er into L2."

I got what I was hoping for. Let's just appreciate that for a second.

I liked how the L1 plate made the very first use on a brand new blade smooth and close with no "teeth." I *really* like how the L2 plate also does that, although with slightly more blade feel at times. Not a lot of blade feel, but you know you're holding onto a steel edge somewhere.

I was surprised at the amount of 3-day stubble that came off WTG. Following up with an ATG pass for a 2-pass shave almost didn't leave any cleanup to do. DFS for sure.

I have a couple of spots that can be glassy smooth right after shaving, but within an hour or so they're proud again. It's odd because the skin all around them is still glassy, but I guess that's just how it is. Good excuse to shave again in a couple of days!

O.H.

Razor: GEM Junior Bakelite baton handle
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (2)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire

This morning's shave on a day and a half of stubble. Easy BBS with WTG/XTG/ATG passes - no harshness, burning, or tugging. The Stirling Texas on Fire is a great soap - not too watery and not too thick, providing good slickness and excellent cushioning, which is just what I needed today on my sunburned face. Texas on Fire has a fresh woodsy scent of cedars or pines, with an undertone of smoky mesquite; it's not overpowering and not as strong as a new puck of Tabac (which I also like).

I had planned to try the GEM Micromatic Open Comb today, but decided against it, given the sunburn.

Top Bottom