What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (ATT Aluminum Bamboo Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
20211017_114512~2.jpg

Excellent razor! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Mon 18 SE SOTD
Soap B&M The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M TFMOM Balm
Missed using this excellent soap and wow!! The scent is stout and aromatic! The lather is rich creamy and slick...
With the matching aftershave balm...will last the day...niceeee!!!
Missed using this excellent razor too! Paired with a fresh new blade...wow...very smooth, comfortable, and efficient in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish without any issues. Left with only 6 spare blades...hmmm
20211018_084527.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, OCtober 18th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic OC, Mfg 1930-41, excellent mid range, some blade feel, works as good as the day it was made.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood, nice scent with good lather qualities, I load in my bowl and bring dryer lather to face and then add water as needed, it lathers in the bowl differently than most soaps I find.
Brush: Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel beard wipe down +Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm(scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my MMOC + a coated Gem blade.
SOTD, Oct 18, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem 1912 Damaskeene Open Comb
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20211017_083100.jpg

Schick G1
Ted Pella blade (x11).
Really close, smooth shave, with 2 passes. Easy BBS if 3 passes.

It’s official-the G is my favorite razor.

I’ve been comparing it to my E2; swapping blades back and forth to give them a good comparison.

Compared to the G, the E2 feels harsh. I guess some could call it aggressive, but I don’t like that term if it’s paired with not as efficient, especially in comparison to a smooth, efficient razor. It is not smooth, but not as close shaving as the G. The E2 doesn’t nick or cut, and is still effortless in that you don’t have to be on your game to avoid a weeper or anything, but it is just not smooth, while still not being as efficient as the G1.

Keep in mind this is in comparison to the G; in comparison to my GEMs, the E is smooth 🙂

To give more perspective, the G1, with a Ted Pella that has 11 shaves on it, is smoother and closer than the E2 with a new sChick blade. The G is smoother and closer no matter the type or newness of the blade.

I’m wondering if it’s the horizontal ridges on the safety bar? I would like to try an E3 for comparison, as maybe it has the nicer build quality of an E (heavier, nicer finish, Bakelite handle) with the shaving performance of the G?B3B4CA85-7D41-41CD-BFEE-12C55C26DE37.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I’m wondering if it’s the horizontal ridges on the safety bar? I would like to try an E3 for comparison, as maybe it has the nicer build quality of an E (heavier, nicer finish, Bakelite handle) with the shaving performance of the G? B3B4CA85-7D41-41CD-BFEE-12C55C26DE37.jpeg

In one of Schick's injector advertisements I kind of recall they claim the parallel lines on the safety bar help to stretch the skin a little as you glide the razor.

Top Bottom