What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Gem Jr. Bar
Ted Pella Personna PTFE (2)
Simpson 46b Berkeley
D.R. Harris Arlington
Thayers
Pinaud Clubman
20210722_054453.jpg

decided against the Damaskeene. I just can't avoid the nostalgia of the GEM Jr Bars. light no pressure touch..wonderful shave with minor irritation.

be well all.

camo

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MicroMatic Monday 3rd AnniverSaRy (July 22)of collecting shaves, thoughts and the odd laugh.

Razor: Gem 1912-Mfg 1921, nice mid range, well built, this one was NOS with the gold wash still in tack.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea, nice different scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm with a few drops of HA.
Results: CCS, DFS, BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Gem 1912 with a Gem coated blade.

Sunday Schick shave July 22nd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20210721_091146.jpg

Today is the actual anniversary date of the Micromatic Monday thread and to commorate this event I have chosen this well worn bullettip. It shows a lifetime of wear, yet the TTO mechanism works perfectly. The safety bar shows some erosion, but this does not affect the shave. It can still provide many years of great shaves. It is truly a gem of a razor!

Razor: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, July 23rd 2021

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur 50mm- Mfg 2021, excellent mid range, 1st 50mm blade razor I owned and its enjoyable with the Kai Protouch. Carefree shave today.
Blade: Kai Protouch MG(1) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. One of my favorite blades to use, carefree.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea, interesting scent with excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm boar bristle- it stopped shedding months ago and it has turned out to be great brush, great lather generator, soft tips , nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea AS with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea with 2 drops of HA.
Results: CCS,DFS, BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur with a Kai Protouch blade.
Sunday Schick shave July 23rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Wilkinson - Pall Mall (7 Day Set) 1905
Blade: Wilkinson - “Special” Wedge Blade
Brush: Semogue - Owner Club 24mm (Boar)
Pre-Shave: CW Beggs & Sons - Face Wash & Scrub
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave - "Happyland Barbershop"

B423D82A-2CE4-4794-9FEA-6B58A1735CE1.jpeg
This Shave Took 2 Hours
My second shave with the Pall Mall 7 day set. The Friday blade was pitiful. I could barely get it to cut hair. I don’t know what’s going on here. I honed these blades from extra coarse diamond and 1k,3k,8k and12k Stones.I checked the apex with every stone with a magic marker. These blades were fully apexed and carefully honed but still seem dull.
I couldn’t go on like this and halted my shave. I rehoned the blade from extra-coarse to 12k, and rechecked the apexing again. To my sense, the blade still didn’t feel that sharp to me.
I put it back in the razor and resumed my shave. Better, it’s removing whiskers, but not very efficiently. At this rate it will take me ten or more passes.
Halt! Stop the shave again.
I removed the blade and stropped the hell out of it on my big 3” Ezra Arthur horse hide strop.
5795E7A6-7F5D-478A-8F78-0DCD2FAC789C.jpeg

Okay, back to the shave. I reinstalled the blade and continued my shave. The stropping must have smoothed the edge right out. It’s now shaving me close and smooth.
I’m nicely shaved now, but that was a lot of work. I have to figure out why my blades aren’t coming off the stones feeling “Razor sharp”.
My Wilkinson Empire blade was in terrible shape and honed up sharp as the dickens with less work. I just don’t know. I guess I’m really going to have to study my Sunday blade before I put it to use for my next shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom