What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

1917 VB1 and 1917 Gillette Old Type / GEM PTFE (7 or 8)- Vintage Wilkinson Sword (1) / Ghost Town Barber soap AS Splash — in honor of all Vets and comrades I’ve lost, I broke out these two “Property US Army” WWI Army issue veterans for a Memorial Day Shave. The Auto Strop took the first watch against a 3 day growth and shined before turning it over to the Gillette for the second watch before they split duty for the last watch, dividing and conquering for a “gas mask“ quality shave. As for quality/efficiency/comfort between the two, hands down the Auto Strop wins this battle as it’s just a great smooth, efficient razor.

94039622-0759-43DD-9E9F-6554E5965EEC.jpeg

Tue 1st June

ES Claymore V1 & Kai CT Protouch MG [ 4 ]
Missed a shave yesterday as while out on Sunday officiating got a little sunburn, though cloudy the rays got through to us who were not wearing a hat - happens every year.
Found that today the Shave went very well, as the guarded blade did not cause any skin aggravation yet delivered a first class finish.

IMG_1497.jpg

A.S.Razor shave, Tue, June 1st 2021

Razor: Everready 1924(AKA shovelhead)- Mfg-1924-33, great mid range, different way of loading blades from back, once dialed in it will give excellent shaves and a joy to use with great audio feedback. Takes a regular Gem blade that is one of the best.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Gillette PURE cream, nice refreshing scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Cola, 1st use of this new addition Den brush, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, not a lather hog, nice scrub + excellent lather painter. This would be a also for a excellent travel brush and regular Den use IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG+ pickups.
Post shave: Pinaud clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1924 shovelhead with a coated Gem blade.

ASR shave Tue, June 1st 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: AutoStrop - Valet VB1 Deluxe Set (1921-29)
Blade: Feather FHS-10 SE (5)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Cashmere 26mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: HSSC Barber shop (Splash)

757D212D-5C3D-4D14-B3B9-AD0A329B5151.jpeg

My first shave with this razor and about what I expected. Pretty agressive, especially against the grain. No tugging or anything, just felt like the kind of shave you get with a steep angle. The Feather is on its 5th shave and has been kicking around in a drawer for some time. I think if I stropped it a bit before hand I could have smoothed it out. I may have imagined some of the aggressiveness because of the sound. The razor gave me audible feedback that was louder than my cat.🐱 🐈
All in all a nice close shave. Just a bit of post shave skin pulsing. Perhaps I’ll load up with a modified GEM blade for its next shave.

Top Bottom