What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thursday May 27th 2021

Razor: Valet auto-strop C1 Canadian variant- Mfg 1920's, modified gap from .011" to .007" thousands of a inch to smooth the shave out and it did wonders. Interesting time period for safety razors and this one was one of the better ones IMO Valet A.S mfg.
Blade: modified Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Proraso Red, nice sandal wood with great lather qualities.
Brush: New Yaqi 26mm 2band badger Moka express, excellent brush, heavenly cloud like soft tips, excellent lather generator, nice scrubber + great painter. Wow very impressed with this brush even with some badger funk smell that will leave after a few more shaves. Lots of luxury feel when scrubbing and painting lather, happy with sale purchase!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my C1 Valet auto-strop with a modified Gem blade.

SE SOTD, May 27th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Schick K1 Lady Eversharp Turquoise
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210106_083155.jpg

Fri 28 SE SOTD with Sunset and Sunrise...
Soap Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi AC Aluminum
Blade Feather Professional 5th
Post & Aftershaves Alum + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars Balm
Love the aromatic scent of the soap. Today's lather was creamy and slick...
This razor paired with the blade was another excellent, smooth, comfortable, and efficient shave. 3passes without any issues for a mostly bbs finish. Aftershaves were excellent.
20210528_072546.jpg

Fri 28th May.

ES Claymore V1 / Ikon handle & Kai CT Protouch MG [ 2 ]
After the lightweight Yaqi Excalibur the Claymore is a bit of a bruiser, and definitely needs a different technique. You really have to exploit its weight without undue pressure. However, with this Kai blade on board one is able to use it with a light touch to eradicate stubble from areas where it is easy to get weepers/cuts if to heavy handed. The use of this blade has really improved the performance of this Razor.

IMG_1484.jpg

Razor Yaqi Excalibur AC Chrome Head
Blade Kai Protouch MG [1]
Well that was disappointing.
The shave was worst than the Proline after 4 shaves
Maybe it'll get better.
Anyway I will order some Feathers.
View attachment 1271839
Sad to hear....another classic YMMV case...
My first use of the KAI Protouch MG was nothing short of wonderful...
Hope you can try some Feather Proguard and Professional...my favorite too!!

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VC4 (1940-1946?)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (10)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Proraso - Green
Aftershave: Fine - American Blend

3F47D833-2FAF-41C7-9B57-DEE8CAD62FDD.jpeg

Thank you for 10 great shaves
I always retire my SE blades after 10 shaves irregardless. This vintage “Valet” blade proved itself beyond my hopes. I’m sure it could continue on to 14, but I prefer to quite while I’m ahead.
I brought out my VC4 (which was my very first Valet), and the last model produced. It’s the only model with a safety bar instead of a comb. It’s always given me nice shaves. Proraso? I haven’t had that out since my first week of wet shaving. It was all good. Everything worked together to give me a nice smooth, close shave, and send this vintage blade out on a high note.

The blade never seemed to get duller in the way DE blades do, and start tugging and pulling. Instead it seemed to just become gentler as the shaves added up. I think that stropping it before each shave (which is how it was meant to be maintained) kept the edge smooth and free of burrs, eliminating roughness or tugging.

Razor: Schick L1 Injector Razor (Warner-Lambert)
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210527_080735.jpg

Top Bottom