What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: GEM PTFE (7)
Brush: B&B Rudy Vey Group Buy Finest Badger
Lather: combo/proto scuttle and face
Soap: Speick
Aftershave: Stirling Deep Blue Sea (sample)

The shave: WTG/ATG for DFS. Loaded brush from soap puck and then made lather in new scuttle and then face lathered. Enjoyed the warm lather and still work the lather into face for 2-3 mins for the face feel/whisker message. Stirling Deep Blue Sea is great, I’m getting a big bottle.
3A175B0F-A873-45CF-BC1E-5528E3918B32.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, April 19th, 2021

Razor: Gem Junior Parade with taper baton handle- MFG 1943-45 model, excellent mid range, nice handle to work the face IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) Excellent blade, very sharp, good longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice light tobacco & vanilla scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26 mm Tuxedo knot, excellent lather generator with cloud like soft tips, great scrub+ lather painter.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG +ATG+ pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Jr Parade + Gem coated blade.

MMMonday, April 19th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

1914 “Hero” Lather Catcher / GEM PTFE / ProRaso pre/soap / Old Spice AS / Vintage Fuller Badger knot/handle - photo of a lather catcher in action after pass one, 3 passes, 3 rinses, no clogs. First use of an obscure branded (also crusteel) razor found neglected in an antique store for $10. I violated manufacturer’s instructions by not using a Hero blade, but the PTFE did just fine for BBS. Nothing like a lather catcher shave after a few days off.
7EA76FFE-C603-432D-B09E-F86EEB00B71B.jpegBEF6CE71-77B0-4F51-AFC6-F1348A6A92F9.jpeg

Razor: Gem Heavy Flat Top "G-Bar"
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Simpson's Luxury Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210418_091022.jpg

Razor Schick Type M (dial set to 3)
Blade Schick (China)
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Synthetic
Soap Tabac Stick
AS Clubman Pinaud

My first shave with an injector razor today. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was hoping to be one of those people that had to check to see if a blade was installed. That wasn't the case. The blade itself felt kind of rough as it engaged my stubble. It reminded me of an Astra SP and I do not like Astra SPs. I will try this razor and blade combo again on Wednesday and if I still don't like the blade I will give one of my Personna blades a shot. To be honest if this is the best blade they make for Injector razors my foray into Injector shaving will be short lived.

4 passes DFS one weeper. 8/10

SOTD M Type.jpg

Blade Schick (China)
Soap Tabac Stick
AS Clubman Pinaud

My first shave with an injector razor today. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was hoping to be one of those people that had to check to see if a blade was installed. That wasn't the case. The blade itself felt kind of rough as it engaged my stubble. It reminded me of an Astra SP and I do not like Astra SPs. I will try this razor and blade combo again on Wednesday and if I still don't like the blade I will give one of my Personna blades a shot. To be honest if this is the best blade they make for Injector razors my foray into Injector shaving will be short lived.

View attachment 1253940
I always found the Schicks pretty poor performers, which is an unpopular opinion. I gave the rest of mine to my fiancee as she uses injectors. I hope you find the personna blades to your liking, injectors are a great shaving platform.

I always found the Schicks pretty poor performers, which is an unpopular opinion. I gave the rest of mine to my fiancee as she uses injectors. I hope you find the personna blades to your liking, injectors are a great shaving platform.
I do as well. Personna Chrome Platinum DE blades are among my favorites. I also have some Schick Proline B20 blades on order that are coming from Japan so I have a third option. My skin is really sensitive to blade feel. I am really happy with my Timeless .68 (mild razor) and I get comfortable and close shaves with my Personna Reds, Polsilver SIs and Wizamet SIs. I have a combined 1200 plus of those blades because I find so many other blades uncomfortable. If I can't find an injector blade that works for me I will bundle it all on the Contributor BST first.

Blade Schick (China)
Soap Tabac Stick
AS Clubman Pinaud

View attachment 1253940
[
Blade Schick (China)
Soap Tabac Stick
AS Clubman Pinaud

View attachment 1253940
I always have great results with Schick injectors, but YMMV, of course. I would suggest that for your next shave that you change blades, especially if there was no blade in the Schick when you installed the blade you shaved with. Schicks were made to always have a blade in place, so installing a blade into an empty razor may throw off the geometry of the blade. Good luck with the next shave.

Razor: Schick E2 (Imperial Set)
Blade: Personna PTFE Injector (4)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Arsenal Grooming - Retro Man

03CDAA5E-DCF6-4E32-BEBB-4F7EB8E840F9.jpeg

Getting Personna-al

Nice smooth BBS this morning. I did have some blood, but that was from slicing open the scabs where I nicked myself on my last shave with the (chick) Schick blade.
After much experimenting I have decided that (for me) the Personna PTFE injector blades are superior to the Schick injector blades. The Schick‘s are excellent blades, and I get a nice close shave with them, but they seem a little rougher to me. I notice the roughness more if I don’t use a super slick artisan soap.
I believe that the Personnas, while being super sharp are much smoother. This is most noticeable in the post shave face feel.
I think I’ll take an extra day off from shaving to let those scabs heal, especially the ones by my nostrils.

I always have great results with Schick injectors, but YMMV, of course. I would suggest that for your next shave that you change blades, especially if there was no blade in the Schick when you installed the blade you shaved with. Schicks were made to always have a blade in place, so installing a blade into an empty razor may throw off the geometry of the blade. Good luck with the next shave.
The razor did come with a blade in it so that shouldn’t be the issue. As you suggest I will try a Personna injector blade next shave to see if it works for me better. Then I might try a Schlick blade again. I know that bad blades do occur but I suspect it is just me. I have tried Astra SPs several times and they always feel like I am shaving with a rusty tin can lid but many people love them. Schlick blades probably just don’t agree with me like the Astras.

Birthday Shave
Razor #1: Blackland Razors Sabre L1
Blade: GEM PTFE (1)
Razor #2: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Feather ProGuard (1)
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space Silvertip Badger
Cream: Cyril R. Salter Sublime Citrus
Lather: scuttle proto/face final
Aftershave: Stirling Satsuma
The Shave: Fantastic! My 2 favorite razors, B-Day present Brush, scuttle, and Aftershave, and a great cream. My shaving has become truly enjoyable due to the members of our community, fine craftsmen, and great products.
My Birthday Wish is for everyone to enjoy your next shave and take a moment to smile when you think of our community/brotherhood.
Tim
062B2CC3-E179-4266-95F0-1AC746DC0B7F.jpeg
DECB9C00-6ABF-458A-B427-23882895389F.jpeg
B58F66B7-8759-451D-9A7F-A077C3B37AFC.jpeg

Top Bottom