What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

IMG_2854.JPG

Razor/blade: GEM 1912/Gem SS PTFE
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap: Arko
A/S: Lucky Tiger

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
8/10/20
💈SOTD💈
After missing yesterday's Single Edge Sunday shave I decided to combine SES with Menthol Monday for todays shave.
Razor: 1910 Gem Junior Bar Lather Catcher
Blade: Vintage Gem Duridium honed by me
Brush: 200-2 Rubberset Two Band Badger
Soap: WSP Formula T Cooling Barbershop
Astringent: Osma Alum block
Aftershave splash: WSP Cooling Barbershop
3 pass shave with the vintage Gem blade them one pass for cleanup with a modern Gem blade and I'm BBS+ . Very close, comfortable, smooth shave with zero irritation and no weepers. Absolutely no stinging when applying the alum.
This little razor still amazes me every time I use it very effective at removing stubble.View attachment 1137890View attachment 1137891View attachment 1137892
You will enjoy that razor a lot more when you slip in a new Gem Personna SS PTFE blade IMO.

Ron R

SE SOTD, Thur, Aug 13th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 parade with taper baton handle-Mfg 1943, excellent razor and l like the handle very much.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea - excellent scent with great lather qualities, I have to load the brush a little more to get that excellent creamy lather.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm synthetic - excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :thumbup: Excellent shave with my Gem jr 1912 with taper baton handle.
SE SOTD-Thur,Aug 13 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay safe in these times!

You will enjoy that razor a lot more when you slip in a new Gem Personna SS PTFE blade IMO.
The Vintage Gem Duridium blade that I honed up gives an amazing shave. This is the second shave on this blade after the initial honing. I'm afraid if it shaves any better with the blade you mentioned I might not go back to shaving with my straight razors and I love my straight razor shaves.

Razor: Black Aluminum General head, Timeless Al handle
Blade: Kai ProTouch
Pre Shave: Warm shower, bloom water, Crown Pre Shave
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Brush: Stirling Two Band Synthetic
Post Shave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, TOBS Sandalwood AS

Wonderful two pass BBS shave

Ron R

SE SOTD, Fri, Aug 14th 2020

Razor: Oneblade Core Version 2- Mfg 2018> excellent daily driver with a Modified Gem blade. Needs a little pressure!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE Modified(9) excellent blade.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea - nice scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic-Sagrada Familia- excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + any pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my oneblade Core.
SE SOTD, Fri, Aug 14th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay safe in these times!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday August 14, 2020
Razor: Blackland Sabre L2 :001_wub:
Blade: Gem PTFE (6)
Soap: OH Puck!

IMG_0404[1].JPG

TL;DR: Another great shave! (In my business we call that the "Executive Summary.")

A solid month of shaving with the Blackland Sabre: two weeks with L1, two weeks with L2. They both have their charms but I believe I like L2 better. In my hands it trades off a little of the smoothness that L1 brings to the first two shaves and puts that smoothness in the last two shaves. L1 is the best first two shaves I've ever had from a Gem blade; L2 is a close runner-up there and gives me the best last two shaves I've ever had from a Gem blade.

One of the factors behind why it took me two years to talk myself into dropping the coin on this thing is the stock handle. I was positive that was a recipe for poor razor control. It wasn't until I saw a fellow's Sabre with a brass (WCS, I think) handle that I decided I'd go ahead and order the razor, but also start to make a handle that would give me what I want. Herewith a wandering tale of design-on-the-fly...

I went out to the scrap bin and found an 80mm piece of copper rod. No lathe, but I have files and patience. I wanted something with either deep knurling (which I am not equipped to do) or with some deep grooves. I wanted a reduced section at the top. I spent a few days filing away at one end while considering the grooves. I decided I wanted five grooves -- which, since I play with edges, just seemed like a natural to name the "Musashi" handle.

Yeah, I see four grooves, too. I put the first one in, intending it to be the centre groove with two on either side. I used a 1/8-inch chainsaw file for that. About that time my wife wandered out to the shop to see what I was spending so much work on. She usually approaches somewhat gingerly, listening for the sound of muttered profanity before committing to "How's it going?" I showed her the work in progress.

She flipped it over and said, "I like this finger groove on the bottom, but the top looks kinda clunky." My first thought was, "Yer holdin' it upside down." I took it back from her and she went off to another project. Mutter, mutter...sheesh...upside down..."finger groove" my left foot...mutter, mutter. "Hey. That's not a bad idea." So I put another finger groove in the other end and then fiddled with it. It felt good in my hand. Secure. Hmmm. Oughta listen to that girl more often.

Suddenly that messed up my distances for the five grooves, so I regretfully let Musashi go. Kept working away at it; all told it took about six or seven weeks of on-again/off-again work in spare moments. Every evening after supper I'd go out to the shop and spend at least a little while filing away at it. Finally yesterday I set up the drill press and drilled the pilot for the hole, tapped it M5 x 0.8 and took it inside for a trial shave this morning.

Along the way I showed it to my wife, who looked at it and fiddled with it. "Copper Doobie," she said.

I need to sand out a few file marks and so forth, but I used it this morning. It's a little heavier than the original, but not as much of a tank as my other copper handle for the older razors with 8-24 threads. A comforting amount of mass. Glides WTG. Shaves well ATG. And, even though it's not the concern I thought it was, a firm grip and ergonomics in just the right places. So I'm happy even though the project changed direction midstream which kinda aggravates the artist in me.

If I really wanted to turn out lovely handles I'd get a small lathe -- then screwing something up doesn't kill two months of work and anticipation. But being able to whittle it out of a block of copper with hand tools was kinda relaxing.

O.H.

8/15: 1935 Schick E-2, Chick, Dove soap, VDH boar, Old Spice. Wonderful cool-water shave with the best of the injectors. BBS. Next shave: 1938 Gillette Fat-handle Tech.

Saturday evening shave August 15th. It’s been a long day I am ready for a good shave. My razor is my miccromatic open comb with a treet razor blade. They seem to be treating my face well. I will use my semogue 610 brush to face lather with Proraso shaving cream. I will use all Proraso tonight. I guess I’m in the mood for some menthol.
1577129B-7DA1-4BDE-8697-E78350A35231.jpeg

Top Bottom