What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur, July 9th 2020

Razor:
Star bar Lather catcher model#4(Kampfee Brothers NY)- Mfg 1919- Excellent shaves usually from this great little lather catcher. Milder mid range IMO, I'm very happy with this purchase.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) Great blade, very sharp, good longevity, excellent cost, smooths out nicely, predictable wear 95 % of the time with no drama.
Soap: Italian barber Amici- great mild scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 synthetic- great all around brush that has natural boar brush feel with out the scritch IMO.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my Kampfee brothers Star bar#4!
SE SOTD- Thursday July9th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Schick N2 Black Chrome Injector razor
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum injector blade
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Haslinger Shafmilch
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200708_083810.jpg

7/7/20
💈SOTD💈
First shave with my new Gem Junior Lather Catcher.
Razor: Gem Junior Lather Catcher
Brush: Made Rite 1500L Pure Badger NOS
Lather: WSP Formula T Bay Rum
Astringents: Osma Alum block
Splash: Ogallala Bay Rum Sage and Cedar.
This was the first time using my new Lather Catcher and what a beautiful shave BBS Close, Comfortable, Smooth shave with absolutely zero irritation. FANTASTIC way to end the day .
20200707_195324.jpg

OneBlade Genesis / Personna GEM (1st)
Barbasol Pacific Rush
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Old Spice (Homebrew)
Soap Commander Endurance Balm

Wow, haven't used a GEM in the OneBlade in weeks, and forgot just how much smoother it is than a Feather, especially on the 1st shave.

Ron R

SE SOTD, Fri, July 10th 2020

Razor: One blade core Version 2- Mfg 2018> excellent 3 pass daily driver IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE modified(6) Excellent blade in all aspects of a SE blade.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum- Mild scent with great lather qualities that I enjoy, excellent cost.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic black marble handle- great lathering brush in all aspects.
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep:Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave:Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Excellent shave with my Oneblade core version 2.

SE SOTD, Fri, July 10th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Featherweight
Blade: Okay, I have no idea... it was a single edge blade from a pack of blades I bought at Lowe's for my scraper a few years ago. The dispenser was an exact match for the ones for sale at CVS so I figured why not? I've resisted going down the rabbit hole of SE razors that I'm on with DEs, so I hadn't used either the Featherweight or the Micromatic I picked up. Fast forward to this morning and I finally broke out the Featherweight for my first SE shave (and first non-Gillette shave) and even with a hardware store blade, I had a smooth, comfortable, nick-free three pass shave that was near BBS! I have some GEM Damaskeene vintage blades that will fit the Featherweight, but I'll hold those for a period-correct GEM 1912. I'm still just dangling my feet over the SE Rabbit Hole, but can someone suggest a better, more "proper" SE blade to use?
Gem Featherweight.jpg

Razor: Valet AutoStrop VC2 Single Edge razor
Blade: Feather FHS10 single edge
Brush: Ocean Tortoise Shell Pure Bristle
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200709_091944.jpg

Ron R

Razor: Gem Featherweight
Blade: Okay, I have no idea... it was a single edge blade from a pack of blades I bought at Lowe's for my scraper a few years ago. The dispenser was an exact match for the ones for sale at CVS so I figured why not? I've resisted going down the rabbit hole of SE razors that I'm on with DEs, so I hadn't used either the Featherweight or the Micromatic I picked up. Fast forward to this morning and I finally broke out the Featherweight for my first SE shave (and first non-Gillette shave) and even with a hardware store blade, I had a smooth, comfortable, nick-free three pass shave that was near BBS! I have some GEM Damaskeene vintage blades that will fit the Featherweight, but I'll hold those for a period-correct GEM 1912. I'm still just dangling my feet over the SE Rabbit Hole, but can someone suggest a better, more "proper" SE blade to use?View attachment 1123953
I would not use old blades because they are not as sharp as the new blades, the Gem SS PTFE blade is very sharp and smooths out nicely in that 2nd generation featherweight. The blade and Razor work really well and after 3 or 4 shaves slip into your 1912 razor and it will be more enjoyable for you IMO. I like Gem razors and blades, it is really hard to beat them in shave quality and are just as cost effective as a Gillette per shave for my self. Connaught shaving has Gem personna blades at a reasonable cost if you are having a hard time sourcing.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

7/10/20
💈SOTD💈
First shave with my new to me 1904 Ever- Ready Lather Catcher. And first time using my newly restored Rubberset 200-2 brush that I just finished .
Razor: 1904 Ever-Ready Lather Catcher
Blade: Gem Single Edge Stainless (1)
Brush: Rubberset 200-2 2 Band Badger Knot from Maggard Razor
Lather: WSP Formula T Bay Rum
Astringent: Osma Alum block
Splash: Ogallala Bay Rum Sage and Cedar
Really impressed by this little razor . This is the first time using the Ever-Ready LC.
Got very little stinging from the Alum after the shave and got a very close smooth comfortable BBS irritation free shave.
20200710_224338.jpg
20200710_224338.jpg

Ron R

SE SOTD, Sat, July 11th 2020

Razor:
Tom White TNNSER 3D printed - MFG 2019> Light razor & having a little fun with it, dialing it in still.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) excellent blade.
Soap: Razorock blue barber- great lather qualities with nice mid range scent.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- this is one of the best brushes I used over the last 3.5 years.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: great shave with my TNNSER razor & Gem blade.
SE SOTD, Sat, july 11th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom