What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SE SOTD

Thursday, May 28
Schick E2
Schick(4)
Omega 49
Mike's Natural Bergamot, Orange
the "Veg"

20200528_171045[1].jpg

5/29: 1935 Schick E-2, Chick, Irish Spring, VDH boar, Aqua Velva. Magnificent shave. BBS. The E2 is Schick’s equivalent to the Gillette Tech in that it is the perfect shaving tool. There is nothing that can be improved about it. All after was gimmickry, i.e., handle styles, Hydromagic, twin blades, adjustability, etc., none of which improved on shaving performance. Schick painted itself into a corner like Gillette with no way to improve what had become a perfect product.
Next shave: Gillette Fat-handle Tech

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri, May 29th 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic flying wing, MMBT, Guiding eye.....-MFG 1947-50
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) - Great blade characteristics all the way around, sharpness, longevity & smoothness after a couple of shaves.
Soap: Colonel Conk bayrum- I enjoy using this soap.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow with brown whiskers(Mew) 26 mm- very packed whiskers with soft tips & back bone, excellent Brush IMO.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Great shave with my Gem MMBT.
SOTD, Fri, May 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Schick L1 Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Ocean Tortoise Shell Pure Bristle
Pre-Shave: L'Occitane Cade Shave Oil
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200528_082654.jpg

Razor: Schick L1 Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Ocean Tortoise Shell Pure Bristle
Pre-Shave: L'Occitane Cade Shave Oil
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
View attachment 1106585
Do you find that the stainless type L doesn’t slide as well as the brass J, G or E types?

Ron R

SOTD, Sat May30th, 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb or MMOC- Mfg 1930-41, the razor that helped Gem pull through during the dirty thirties. One of best razors Gem made IMO and was revolutionary for its time with the first Twist to open(TTO) ever.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) great all around blade, sharpness, longevity and smooths out during its life cycle nicely.
Soap: Tabac- great soap that lasts & lasts........triple milled with a mild floral scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle, excellent brush that splays,scrubs,soft tips &paints well.
Pre-shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavenderaftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic razor today.
SOTD, Sat May 30th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
SOTD, Sat May30th, 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb or MMOC- Mfg 1930-41, the razor that helped Gem pull through during the dirty thirties. One of best razors Gem made IMO and was revolutionary for its time with the first Twist to open(TTO) ever.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) great all around blade, sharpness, longevity and smooths out during its life cycle nicely.
Soap: Tabac- great soap that lasts & lasts........triple milled with a mild floral scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle, excellent brush that splays,scrubs,soft tips &paints well.
Pre-shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavenderaftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic razor today.
View attachment 1106890
Have some great shaves!

I really enjoy reading your shave descriptions! :)

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 9

First shave with a 1912 tonight. It's lighter than my G Bar and Micromatic Flying Wing Bullet Tip and provides more audible feedback than those razors. The multisided handle has enough knurling for a good grip, and I discovered that the shave angle for the head is less flat against the face than the G Bar or MM Flying Wing.

I learned this lesson on shave angle through trial and error, and since I used a fresh blade that was super sharp, I paid for this lesson with a few nicks. I took off a point for these nicks, but the shave was easy BBS without irritation.

Not sure of the vintage of this razor - maybe 1920s? It came in a black leatherish small rectangular case with velvet liner. I'll try to post a pic next time.

Ron R

Sunday Schick Shave, May 31st 2020

Razor: Schick Champion injector L type theme series- Mfg 1976 for Montreal Olympics, Schick was a sponsor also.
Blade: Personna injector SS PTFE (4) great blade with longevity, Sharpness and smooths out during it's life cycle.
Soap: Tabac- light floral scent with excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft 24mm - great brush, closest thing to a worn in boar brush IMO with soft tips.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser +a small dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard.
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave + a small dollop of Nivea sensitive skin balm. :001_wub:
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 weepers=:a17:great shave with my Schick Champion L type injector.

Sunday Schick shave, May31st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom