What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Prep-hot shower
Stirling Sharp dressed Man soap and shampoo bars.
Razor-Gem Junior (naked) with custom brass handle x2, (preference for the shorter handle on the razor)
Blade-GEM Persona new and stropped.
Brush-Naval Brass Custom boar
Soap-Stirling Sharp dressed Man lathered in a copper mug.
Post Shave-GJ alum and 4 drops post shave oil.
Results BBS no irritation and 0 blood! 4 passes, first pass to get the feel of the razor as it was first time using this type. IMHO it's very similar in angle and feel to a straight. I'm pleased :) I have spoken.
IMG_20191213_171509__01__01.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD Sat Dec 14

Razor : Oneblade Core version 2 - MFG 2019
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE desplined and modified (7)
Soap : Tabac
Brush : Yaqi timber wolf 24mm+
Preshave : Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave: Proraso green aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm for winter dry skin.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:
SOTD Dec 14 - 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Prep-hot shower
Stirling Sharp dressed Man soap and shampoo bars.
Razor-Gem Junior (naked) with custom brass handle x2, (preference for the shorter handle on the razor)
Blade-GEM Persona new and stropped.
Brush-Naval Brass Custom boar
Soap-Stirling Sharp dressed Man lathered in a copper mug.
Post Shave-GJ alum and 4 drops post shave oil.
Results BBS no irritation and 0 blood! 4 passes, first pass to get the feel of the razor as it was first time using this type. IMHO it's very similar in angle and feel to a straight. I'm pleased :) I have spoken.View attachment 1043401
Looks like you are a Machinist and like to create parts from brass. Very nice but might be a little heavy with the brush handle if you did not hollow out the base.
Looks like the GEM Juniour bar has lost its Nickel coating(rare one)?
Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you are a Machinist and like to create parts from brass. Very nice but might be a little heavy with the brush if you did not hollow out the base. Thanks for sharing.
Not a machinist by trade but as a student I have a real machinist who allows me to make things under his guidance, and yes they are my work! The brush is a tank that was my full intention I made it so when I choose to face lather there are no worries of it tipping over on me. Still when I choose to bowl lather it's got a perfect fit and weight for me! Happy shaves!
IMG_20191210_133555.jpg

Ron R

Not a machinist by trade but as a student I have a real machinist who allows me to make things under his guidance, and yes they are my work! The brush is a tank that was my full intention I made it so when I choose to face lather there are no worries of it tipping over on me. Still when I choose to bowl lather it's got a perfect fit and weight for me! Happy shaves!View attachment 1043527
I'm a retired licensed Machinist and enjoy seeing peoples talents on a metal or wood lathe.
Have some great shaves!

I'm a retired licensed Machinist and enjoy seeing peoples talents on a metal or wood lathe.
Have some great shaves!
Much respect to you sir, I can't even claim to be a novice. The things that I have turned are all done on the Hardinge and I have been lucky enough to learn from a great instructor. The radius of the handles and tapers are turned free hand no auto feed no CNC, of course the finish passes are done with a file and Emery cloth. He (tool maker/my instructor) is slowly showing me programming the CNC lathe, but it's a little daunting. I also am learning as much as possible on the Bridgeport. He shows me the older method (manual) before showing me auto feed and CNC. TALK ABOUT A RABBIT HOLE!!! My only wish is that I'd have started 30 years ago!!! ABOVE ALL ELSE he's shown me machine safety...

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
SOTD
12/14/2019

Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Kindal Lather Catcher
Blade: Gem PTFE coated
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Sagrada Familia 100% Pure Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Lavender Soap
Lather: RazoRock What the Puck Gold
Aftershave: RazoRock Mudder Focker
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel

Lumii_20191214_091453381.jpg

brandaves

Much respect to you sir, I can't even claim to be a novice. The things that I have turned are all done on the Hardinge and I have been lucky enough to learn from a great instructor. The radius of the handles and tapers are turned free hand no auto feed no CNC, of course the finish passes are done with a file and Emery cloth. He (tool maker/my instructor) is slowly showing me programming the CNC lathe, but it's a little daunting. I also am learning as much as possible on the Bridgeport. He shows me the older method (manual) before showing me auto feed and CNC. TALK ABOUT A RABBIT HOLE!!! My only wish is that I'd have started 30 years ago!!! ABOVE ALL ELSE he's shown me machine safety...
I've always wanted to learn that stuff. What a great opportunity. Are you paying for a course or just have a generous friend offering to instruct you? Either way, super cool. Like @Ron R I have enjoyed your handy work.

I've always wanted to learn that stuff. What a great opportunity. Are you paying for a course or just have a generous friend offering to instruct you? Either way, super cool. Like @Ron R I have enjoyed your handy work.
Actually he's a co-worker and a great friend! Here's the senior tool maker where we work so I spend time learning when I can! Thanks for the kind words !

brandaves

SOTD
12/15/2019

Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: Gem PTFE coated
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Black/White Tuxedo Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Lavender Soap
Lather: Stirling Gatlinburg
Aftershave: RazoRock Son of Zeus
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel

Lumii_20191215_105114267.jpg