What's new

SE razor suggestions, please !

Hello Gents ..... I am thinking of trying an SE razor for the first time. I've been thoroughly enjoying my DE razor rotation
(RazoRock Lupo .72, Timeless Bronze SB, Timeless Aluminum, Rockwell 6C (plate 4), and RazoRock Old Type OC) and am
in the mood to "expand my horizons." I don't want to spend a lot of money, in case I'm not happy with SE shaving, and am
considering the RazoRock Hawk Aluminum as a good start. What do you experienced SE razor fans suggest ? I also need
some good SE blade recommendations. Thank you.

I just started using a SE about a month ago, and I too picked an aluminum Hawk as my first SE. Awesome razor, very easy to use. I use Kai Pink Mild and Schick Proline blades, both excellent.

One problem is there aren't many places that have them in stock to buy right away. Above The Tie makes some nice aluminum ones. Price wise you can't beat the RazoRock Hawk Aluminum. They give a nice shave.
I like the Feather blades and the Schick Proline blades.

Here is the ATT SE1. Sells for $158.
1619274186954.png

Last edited:
Hello Gents ..... I am thinking of trying an SE razor for the first time. I've been thoroughly enjoying my DE razor rotation
(RazoRock Lupo .72, Timeless Bronze SB, Timeless Aluminum, Rockwell 6C (plate 4), and RazoRock Old Type OC) and am
in the mood to "expand my horizons." I don't want to spend a lot of money, in case I'm not happy with SE shaving, and am
considering the RazoRock Hawk Aluminum as a good start. What do you experienced SE razor fans suggest ? I also need
some good SE blade recommendations. Thank you.
@Adam18 ... you're a B&B member, so let's just not take that "I don't wanna spend a lot of money..." all too seriously.

That said, until you get the Vector, you'll never really know and the questions will always be there:

How different can it be? Is it really that good, as everyone is raving about it? What if...?

YES, YES and YES. It literally doesn't compare to anything else, be it a DE or SE. It's in the league of its own. No wait, its in the fricking universe of its own.

So, as George Clooney said: What else? Off course, it's a rhetorical question.

WHAT ELSE! 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊

1619273882707.png

Now, in all the seriousness - you will save a LOT of money by getting the Vector, as you'll never want another razor.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Aluminum Hawk is a decent razor fir the money, but the Blackland Razors Vector and Colonial Razors The General are significantly better. Well worth the (admittedly high) price difference - to me.

The Stainless Hawk v3 OC is a reasonable step up from the Aluminum Hawk for not too much more money. I use the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG and Schick Proline in my Hawk v3.

Of all the AC razors out there, the Vectir is my #1 choice. No caveats at all.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If you are considering a GEM based razor, The Blackland Razors Sabre L2 is the best GEM razor in my Den.

You can get vintage GEM based razors for at a lower cost. The GEM MMOC, GEM Featherweight Deluxe and the Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" are favorite vintage razors using the GEM blade.

YMMV

I don't know anything about vintage so no help in that regard. Sabre for a modern GEM and Vector to jump straight to the finish line :p

I'd say the aluminium Hawk is a good SE starting point. In fact it's a very good razor, and would be fine for most people in the long term. I used to use it as my travel razor, when I used to travel, and never felt I'd had an inferior shave. I think the Colonial General and and Blackland Vector do give rather better shaves, and are nicer to handle, but then so they should. I mostly use Kai Pinks, Schick Prolines and Feather Super Pros, depending on the razor and my mood.

Vintage is the way to go if you're just seeing if SE is for you. You can get any number of excellent, better-than-most-modern SE razors for dirt cheap on ebay or in the BST section here. Any Gem/Ever Ready/Star 1912 iteration will be a good starting point, but the Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf, Flying Wing (bullet tip), Heavy Flat Top (G Bar), Featherweight, or Push Button would also be good choices. Save the Micromatic Open Comb and the Every Ready 1914 for later. You won't have much $$ sunk into SE if you decide it's not your cup of tea, and you can always sell or PIF your trial razor along without much loss.

You'll probably be selling your DE stuff though, if the majority of posts in here are any indication...

For GEM-style razors you want the GEM PTFE-coated blade. Tryablade has them; the cost per blade will be more than you may be used to in the DE world, but they last a long, long time. It's not unheard of to get 10-15 shaves from a GEM PTFE blade. If you decide that SE is for you, blades can be had in bulk from online vendors like Connaught for a very reasonable price. Word of caution - GEM blades are SHARP. Take it easy for the first few shaves and make sure the razor head is almost flat to your face - you can adjust from there to find your sweet spot. A DE approach angle will make for a very disappointing shave.

Another great thing about SE shaving - you won't spend a fortune or a lifetime on a quest for the right blade; there are less that a half-dozen or so to choose from, and most are just the same stainless or carbon blades with or without coatings sold under various brand names. The GEM/Treet/PAL SE blades all come out of the same plant in Virginia; Dorco makes a Gem-style SE blade that is by all accounts, including mine, miserable. Gem-style SE blades that are suitable for shaving are ground to 3 facets; any 2-facet blades are for scraping tools, so check the package if you look for blades on Amazon or at the hardware store.

Good luck!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
There’s a bunch of plans on Thingverse for 3D-printed GEM, Injector, and Artist Club SE razors, too

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you like going with SE safety razors that started in the USA go with a Gem(1912 models,Vintage= mid range) or Blackland Sabre with plate #2 modern version = midrange. It takes a few shaves to dial Gem SE blades in. Schick E & M types injectors are great= midrange. I would suggest use always new blades with Vintage razors and not use vintage blades because you might be disappointed and get turned off like what almost happened to me even if the blades look good.
If you like Artist Club 50mm blades the Razorock SS HawkV3= midrange seems like a good deal or the Blackland SS Vector is one nice looking razor & most folks like them also.
The nice thing about the AC blades they have the guarded Feather Proguard or the Kai Protouch guarded blades that are the best for protection (blood thinner issues for some folks who still like to shave) and will shave very close and are the best blade out there because they are hard to MFG but are pricey IMO.
I bought a Kai style AC folding Shavette razor with naked blades & I found them hard to shave with for this(Greenhorn) but the Kai Protouch blade made the shaves great and the results were Awesome.

I’m a recent SE Razor convert. I dove straight in and bought a Blackland Sabre L1 & L2 and Vector SB. They are both amazing. However, that’s a pretty good chunk of change to try the SE razor format. I would recommend a GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip, Featherweight,or something similar to try the GEM style. They can be had for less than $20 dollars. To try the AC format SE Razor, I’d get the Hawk V2 for $30. Then you’ll be able to experience both GEM and AC razors for minimal cash out of pocket to see if you like them. Both are seriously smooth and great shavers.
After you try those and wonder why you didn’t try SE razors sooner you can buy a Sabre, Vector, General, etc.
Good luck!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hi Adam -- I would start with a vintage GEM-style razor. They are mostly "cheap as chips" and you won't get a bad shave from any of them. I would personally recommend a Gem Featherweight as a "starter" down this rabbit-hole; but any would be fine. If not a Gem-style razor, then I'd go with a Schick Type G injector -- frankly, I find all of the Schicks to be great shavers, but the Type G is plentiful and so often cheaper. The blades are easy to get on Amazon, and again, the razor itself won't be expensive at all.

I dipped my toe into this particular pond a fair-while ago, and I honestly prefer SE shaves to DE -- I still have and use DE, but I find my hand going for an SE razor more often than not. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Top Bottom