What's new

SE Mental Meanderings - GEM and Artist Club

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The relative benefits and challenges of the two formats: GEM and Artists Club.

The GEM, as represented by my favorite GEM format razors to date (Featherweight, Junior and G Bar), is characterized by maneuverability and a very nimble feel.

photostudio_1573511012181.jpg

photostudio_1574142377834.jpg

The Artists Club, as represented by the RazoRock Hawk V2, is characterized by efficiency and coverage.

I can get great shaves with both formats but right now (and always subject to change on a whim ;)), I'm leaning toward the GEM format.

This may be sacrilege, but I've come to think of the GEM Featherweight as the 'Tech' of my SE world. It may take an extra pass to get to DFS/BBS but it never fails to perform - comfortably. The more I ponder this little razor, the more I like it.

Just my mental meanderings for a Tuesday morning. :)

YMMV

I currently have an Above the Tie SE1 razor that uses Artist Club blades. I like it, but normally use straight razors or DE razors. I like the variety blades available for DE razors vs the few available for SE razors, whether Artist Club type or Gem.

When I was a teenager many decades ago, I did shave a few times with a Gem style razor. I never felt quite confident that the spring loaded mechanism would keep the blade properly secured. Perhaps I was being paranoid, but I prefer the security of a threaded connection. I guess I also associate the Gem style blades with utility knives and scrapers, although I know the blades designed for shaving are much sharper than the utility blades.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I currently have an Above the Tie SE1 razor that uses Artist Club blades. I like it, but normally use straight razors or DE razors. I like the variety blades available for DE razors vs the few available for SE razors, whether Artist Club type or Gem.

When I was a teenager many decades ago, I did shave a few times with a Gem style razor. I never felt quite confident that the spring loaded mechanism would keep the blade properly secured. Perhaps I was being paranoid, but I prefer the security of a threaded connection. I guess I also associate the Gem style blades with utility knives and scrapers, although I know the blades designed for shaving are much sharper than the utility blades.

I've got the ATT SE1 (Aluminum) and also find it to be a very good AC razor - quite similar to the RR Hawk V2.

I get GREAT shaves with the AC razors but there's something about the maneuverability and nimble nature of the GEM Featherweight and Junior that makes me reach for them.

I'm sure that more research is in order. ;)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

The GEM, as represented by my favorite GEM format razors to date (Featherweight, Junior and G Bar), is characterized by maneuverability and a very nimble feel.

View attachment 1042364

View attachment 1042365

The Artists Club, as represented by the RazoRock Hawk V2, is characterized by efficiency and coverage.

I can get great shaves with both formats but right now (and always subject to change on a whim ;)), I'm leaning toward the GEM format.

This may be sacrilege, but I've come to think of the GEM Featherweight as the 'Tech' of my SE world. It may take an extra pass to get to DFS/BBS but it never fails to perform - comfortably. The more I ponder this little razor, the more I like it.

YMMV
I've never tried the AC, so I probably shouldn't weigh in, but I am a BIG fan of the GEM razors. And I also think of the Featherweight as the Tech of my SE world. When I used to travel more, the Tech was my go to; now when I do travel, I always take a Featherweight (even if I take another razor or 2), since I know that the Featherweight will always perform well....especially if I have to shave daily. Thanks for the "mental meaderings"....I enjoyed them!!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've never tried the AC, so I probably shouldn't weigh in, but I am a BIG fan of the GEM razors. And I also think of the Featherweight as the Tech of my SE world. When I used to travel more, the Tech was my go to; now when I do travel, I always take a Featherweight (even if I take another razor or 2), since I know that the Featherweight will always perform well....especially if I have to shave daily. Thanks for the "mental meaderings"....I enjoyed them!!!

You are most welcome. :)

The Featherweight, to me, is one of those excellent surprises that come in unassuming packages. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

I've used both Gem and AC format -- though my two AC razors were ATT SE1 and SE2. As a head shaver I've thought about some of the reasons why Gem seems to work better than AC for me. This is maybe one of those around-the-fire-pit discussions for when a bottle of good rye is going around. Gem blades give me smooth shaves in a sufficiently aggressive razor, AC blades as I have experienced them need more care and even then can be overly aggressive for me.

I had trouble with shaving blind on the back of my head and neck, and a bit of trouble with some prominent veins on my temples -- not the place to feel that icy-hot kiss of the steel!

My current Gem(ish) jam is the ATT G1 -- a razor I love because it comes with a lot of potential for improvement though it's a very fine razor as it sits.

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've used both Gem and AC format -- though my two AC razors were ATT SE1 and SE2. As a head shaver I've thought about some of the reasons why Gem seems to work better than AC for me. This is maybe one of those around-the-fire-pit discussions for when a bottle of good rye is going around. Gem blades give me smooth shaves in a sufficiently aggressive razor, AC blades as I have experienced them need more care and even then can be overly aggressive for me.

I had trouble with shaving blind on the back of my head and neck, and a bit of trouble with some prominent veins on my temples -- not the place to feel that icy-hot kiss of the steel!

My current Gem(ish) jam is the ATT G1 -- a razor I love because it comes with a lot of potential for improvement though it's a very fine razor as it sits.

O.H.

I am not familiar with the ATT G1 and will have to research.

Thank you. :)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Like @Flintstone65 I haven't had the pleasure of an AC shave, but like you I have a Gem Featherweight Deluxe and it is fantastic. I think I might give it a go on my dome soon actually. On the face it is superb!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Like @Flintstone65 I haven't had the pleasure of an AC shave, but like you I have a Gem Featherweight Deluxe and it is fantastic. I think I might give it a go on my dome soon actually. On the face it is superb!

Thank you for your thoughts on the Featherweight. It has become one of my favorite razors. :)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I generally get better shaves with AC razors, although I do love a good GEM PTFE blade. I tried the Sabre but went back to my 1912 for GEM shaving. AC has been a Brass General for a couple years now.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have to agree with you fellows that the Gem Featherweight is a very impressive nimble razor and another great idea is use it for the first 2 shaves with a brand new Gem Personna SS PTFE blade to smooth out the blade for other great Gem razors that can be more aggressive. Another Great Gem razor is the Gem Junior bar lather catcher for a nimble shave that is not overly aggressive IMO much similar to the Featherweight but the audio acoustics are just great when whiskers are being sliced off.
GEM  Junior bar 1907 (2).jpg Gem Junior bar lather catcher.
Have some great shaves!

View attachment 1042364

View attachment 1042365

YMMV

Not sacrilege at all. I have a GEM Featherweight, have a preference for light razors, and don't see how it gets any better.

Not sacrilege at all. I have a GEM Featherweight, have a preference for light razors, and don't see how it gets any better.

Then an Occam's Razor O.R.E.N. or a Hawk V2 could be interesting if you'd want to venture into AC.

There is also the TNNSER 3d if you prefer lightweight GEM. Depending on material used for printing they are between 19g and 25g, that should be even lighter than a Featherweight.

HTH
godek

Top Bottom