What's new

SE Help.

I will be receiving a SE razor from a PIF and WILL need some tips. What blade angle? Pressure level? Help is appreciated.

Start with a really shallow angle, with the cap of the razor almost rubbing your face, and use no pressure at first, just the weight of the razor.

You might want to start with carbon steel blades, rather than stainless steel, since the carbon steel blades tend to be a little smoother, especially the first couple of shaves.

Don't try to use blades from the hardware store, even though they look the same - they don't have the same quality edge.

A warning: Since trying my first single edge a few months ago, I haven't once used a DE.

--Bob

+1 for this.

Start with a really shallow angle, with the cap of the razor almost rubbing your face, and use no pressure at first, just the weight of the razor.

You might want to start with carbon steel blades, rather than stainless steel, since the carbon steel blades tend to be a little smoother, especially the first couple of shaves.

Don't try to use blades from the hardware store, even though they look the same - they don't have the same quality edge.

A warning: Since trying my first single edge a few months ago, I haven't once used a DE.

--Bob

--Bob
Treet?

Treet, Gem Blue Star, generics from CVS or Rite-Aid, doesn't matter - they're all the same blade, made by American Safety Razor.

--Bob

I find a huge difference between the carbons and the stainless, and no difference between the coated stainless and the uncoated stainless. So much so that I won't use the Treet/Rite aid ones.

I also find the stainless blades to be superior, albeit a little harsh on the first two shaves, not to mention the convenience of not having to remove and dry the blade after each shave.

However, a lot of people swear by the carbon steel blades. As always, YMMV.

--Bob

Top Bottom