What's new

SE GEM blades have disappeared from my town.

Walgreens, CVS, HEB and Walmart along with Family Dollar and Dollar General all have dropped SE blades. I am in Cleburne Texas 20 minutes South of Fort Worth.

We had plenty in the Fall but since 1/1/18 They been cleared out and only online from the stores listed.

That's really unfortunate. I always prefer to shop local but if it isn't selling it gets dropped. At least we still have the option to buy online.

I find them in my local pharmacy, they have gem stainless and pal carbon, is a healthmart, maybe theres is one around your area? But I agree with you, being the only one withing a 100 mile radious that shaves with these blades no wonder they dont want them using shelf space, I wouldnt be surprised my pharmacy also drops them once I buy the last they have in stock

thanks for the tip
I need to take advantage of that myself! They also have the obscure Gillette lemon/lime shaving cream and Schick injector blades for the same deal. Buy one get one half off. My brother told me about it the other day

The market for the GEM blades we use is the med/laboratory business. If ASR had to rely on us, these blades would have disappeared long ago.
You hit the nail, the mayority of blade makers (DE or SE) make their big money on surgical tools, the blades is just the side business, talk to any surgeon and even if they dont know anything about traditional shaving they’ll be able to come up with brands like Feather, Kai, Personna etc.

The GEM PTFE coated blades can be purchased in bulk from Connaught or Ted Pella. I think those are the two most popular places based on what all i've read around here. Last year, I bought 200 from TP, and I doubt I'll ever have to buy any more. One blade can last me up to two months. And I only use 2-3 blades per year.

You can buy them on Walgreen.com.buy one get one half off
The other thing you have to do is ask for store pickup, so you don't pay anything for postage. It comes in a box to the store and must cost the same as delivery to your house, but the thinking is you may buy more stuff if you go to the store, so they give you a shipping freebie for that. I pick up my item but don't buy store items because they almost all can be ordered much cheaper on the internet. Once the internet recommended the store (Walgreen's) and said they had 6 in stock. They only showed the internet price on the screen, so I went there to find it cost much more. I showed them my phone with the lower price and the cashier said he couldn't do anything. Not giving up, I went to the pharmacy and they gave me the internet price. To avoid that hassle in the future, I will just order from the internet. If the store has the item, you may get notified in a few hours to pick it up.

The GEM PTFE coated blades can be purchased in bulk from Connaught or Ted Pella. I think those are the two most popular places based on what all i've read around here. Last year, I bought 200 from TP, and I doubt I'll ever have to buy any more. One blade can last me up to two months. And I only use 2-3 blades per year.

And how often do you shave? Seven days a week? Five? three?

Just curious. Because that's outstanding perfromance form one blade.:)

I also have Ted Pella PTFE coated blades. I was using my DE razors but decided to switch it up again...now using my Micromatics.:)

Top Bottom