What's new

SE favourites for head shaving?

I’ve been on something of a traditional wet shaving journey for the better part of a decade, and have been through a range of DE and SE razors during that time. I’ve now reached a bit of a standstill.

I wear a beard and so shave above and below the beard only, as well as shaving my head. I have settled on a GEM Jewel razor with custom handle to give it a bit of heft (and occasionally try other SE (including other GEM razors) and DE razors but none perform as well for me as the Jewel).

I’m now thinking that I’d like to try a new razor and would welcome thoughts from the community. Can anyone recommend a GEM style SE razor that might supplant the Jewel as my ‘go-to’ tool?

[one factor which i find to be a real issue with head shaving is clogging of the razor beneath the blade, requiring the razor to be opened in order to flush the hair a few times during the first pass]

I use several SE's for head shaving, but if I had to pick a favourite it would be the GEM Damaskeene.

I love my Micromatic Open Comb. I also enjoyed the 1924 Ever Ready Shovel Head. Both are somewhat aggressive and super efficient, but they don't clog easily because of that.

I purchased the Leaf for the sole purpose of my head shaving. Not used it nearly often enough but it shaves well once you get used to applying a little bit of pressure. The pivot head is very forgiving so it allows me to shave quicker than traditional safety razor.

Debating on trying oneblade (core or hybrid)for head shaves too.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Every razor I use is for head shaving. It's all I shave!

I really like slants, many of which turn in an excellent performance. I also really like lather catchers, particularly the Gem Jr. Bar. I have an MMOC and it's good. I have a Blackland Sabre and it's better. I find milder AC razors better than more aggressive, so the RazoRock Hawk V3SB with a Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink blade works very well. I use 1/2-DE shavettes, the Focus Slim Al and the Parker SRX. I find the Focus a lot smoother. I also have AC shavettes, a "Sally SS," a Kai clone and a Kasho Woody. They're really close shavers.

Maybe because I've been shaving my head for 25 years I've decided that just about any razor that I like is good for head shaving.

To your question, however: I think the Blackland Sabre might be what you are looking for. You can try it and return it if need be. Mine has both the L1 and L2 plates. L1 is very mild and smooth particularly with a fresh Gem blade. L2 is a bit more aggressive, and seems to work better for me once I've shaved a week on the blade and need to open up a little to "find some more edge."

Beyond Gem, I highly recommend the ATT S2. It's not a Gem razor; rather an OC slant. ATT's Gem razor is no longer made, sadly. It's a very nice mild shaver even with the more aggressive plate. I modded one of mine by scalloping the bar and shaving down the nose of the cap just a bit to open up the shaving angle. I like them well enough that I have three of them! The razor was designed to mimic the shave from a Gem 1912-pattern razor. It does that perfectly; although in my case the 1912s don't really get close enough for me, hence the mods. On a WCS 84 handle it looks like George Jetson would use it.

If I accept that I am a "hobbyist" then my performance of the hobby is more about trying interesting items than about searching for the One Razor To Shave Them All.

O.H.

Last edited:
Daily driver is an Eco Hawk that takes half DE‘s.
I used the new Yaqi Raster AC to good effect as well but to be honest I have never tried to shave my dome with a GEM blade.

I’ve been on something of a traditional wet shaving journey for the better part of a decade, and have been through a range of DE and SE razors during that time. I’ve now reached a bit of a standstill.

I wear a beard and so shave above and below the beard only, as well as shaving my head. I have settled on a GEM Jewel razor with custom handle to give it a bit of heft (and occasionally try other SE (including other GEM razors) and DE razors but none perform as well for me as the Jewel).

I’m now thinking that I’d like to try a new razor and would welcome thoughts from the community. Can anyone recommend a GEM style SE razor that might supplant the Jewel as my ‘go-to’ tool?

[one factor which i find to be a real issue with head shaving is clogging of the razor beneath the blade, requiring the razor to be opened in order to flush the hair a few times during the first pass]
What did you end up going with? I also shave my head, and use different razors for face vs head, and curious as to your findings.

Top Bottom