What's new

SE blades inquiry

What SE blades that you can buy today are worth their salt? Which ones available today are closest to the thick old SE blades of yesteryear? And where can you buy them?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I guess it depends on which razor you’re using. Edgewell; as Schick and Personna; make blades for Injector, Hair shaper, GEM, and AC razors. KAI and Feather make blades for AC and modified GEM blade razors (like Autostrop and Oneblade). Antelope 77, Rhino, and Cloud make blades for certain barber razors as the Dovo Shavette. Not sure of any mass market modern wedge blades.

Accutec Blades in Verona, VA still make blades for GEM razor. They should be similar to the vintage ones. Just make sure you get ones designed for shaving. There are utility blades with a similar design to the GEM razor blades, but they are designed to be used in paint scrapers, box cutters, and utility knives. While the shaving blades can be used for utility purposes, do not make the mistake of trying one of the utility blades in a razor.

Accutec Blades in Verona, VA still make blades for GEM razor. They should be similar to the vintage ones. Just make sure you get ones designed for shaving. There are utility blades with a similar design to the GEM razor blades, but they are designed to be used in paint scrapers, box cutters, and utility knives. While the shaving blades can be used for utility purposes, do not make the mistake of trying one of the utility blades in a razor.
Good to know. I will make a Google search. Has anyone tried these out? I think Bullgoose has them in his inventory.

1676141749056.png

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Those are what the doctor ordered. Go to the Micromatic Monday thread and search “RIGS” for an upgrade to the Personna PTFE-coated GEM blade.

I've never used a GEM, but I really haven't had a bad experience with any Artist Club blades. I've used Kai Milds, Schick Prolines, and Feather Professionals. If I had to stick with only one it would be the Feathers.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Final update: These are the real deal. Getting great shaves and am just now replacing the first one.

Highly recommended.
Good that your enjoying your shaves with the Gem Personna SS PTFE blades but you could get a lot more decent shaves than just 2 shaves from a blade, most folks get 8-20 shaves easily depending on beard type from my own experiences and others. Gem Personna are the best SE blade for sharpness and longevity I have used also.
Gem Personna must have better steel or heat treating on the Gem blades because they just last longer and feel great once they are used for a few shaves.
Lot of folks do not know this, I use a milder Gem razors on the first 1-5 shaves on a blade and then use the more aggressive ASR razors seems to work well for myself and I just enjoy variety.
Personna has been making razor blades for over 100 years so they must know something that the other blade Manufactures don't!

@Ron R Thanks for the input. Actually this is day six. I started on Wednesday. I'm considering leaving them in an even week, but after your comments, I might even go longer to see how they do.

I’m glad you had a good experience with the Personnas. My experience with the Ted Pellas was very bad: duller than a butter knife.

Top Bottom