What's new

SE blade woes

I've been using a Gem 1912-style Jr. with the Walgreens Gem blades, and I find that I get one (extremely) solid shave from them, with each subsequent day being an exercise in advanced razor burn. I'd like to get some Ted Pellas to try, but I don't have the space (or the level of commitment) for a full pack of 100 at the moment.

Am I missing something? I do rinse and dry the blade thoroughly after each shave, and have even tried gently towel-stropping them. Must I alcohol-dip?

Are the Ted Pella coated blades identical to the Walgreens variety? Anyone got 20 or so they'd like to unload?

Is that enough question marks?

Thanks much for all the info, gents,
-NU

Sorry to hear of your trouble, NU. I get consistantly great shaves from the Walgreens Gems. I can get about 6 shaves on one before I need to dump it. As far as the razor burn goes, you may want to give your face a break. When I shave once every 24 hours, i find that I get razor burn no matter what blade I use, DE or SE. If I wait 36-48 hours between shaves, I get no razor burn.

DL

Hmm, maybe that's it. My Gem seems to have a pretty healthy blade gap and needs a lot of attention to detail, especially on the chin area- maybe following up with a day or two with a milder razor (or none at all, as you say) would be good.

I'm definitely still honing my technique, but I do love the results when I get lucky :)

Hmm, maybe that's it. My Gem seems to have a pretty healthy blade gap and needs a lot of attention to detail, especially on the chin area- maybe following up with a day or two with a milder razor (or none at all, as you say) would be good.

I'm definitely still honing my technique, but I do love the results when I get lucky :)

I'm new to SE shaving (after a few years of DE, I decided to expand my arsenal) and find that some technique has to be relearned or I get a lot of irritation too. Specifically, the shave angle is different (almost flat) as compared to DE and I find I use too much pressure with an SE... some skin stretching is also needed as opposed to DE.

As far as blades... I've tried only 2 brands so far: CVS and GEM (walgreens). They both shave about the same, but the CVS rust easily and the GEM seem a tad smoother. I just got a pack of Treets. They're all made by ASR but seem to differ by metal content and coating, maybe grind as well.

Nicked Up-

Your experience is much the same as mine with the Walgreen's GEM blades. If I alcohol dip and dry the blade gently with a paper towel or blow dryer, I can get three shaves or maybe a fourth but no more. I will get fierce razor burn if I try to push it any further. Also, while some have good success with handstropping SE blades it has done no good for me. Only the alcohol dip has enhanced blade life for me.

I enjoy the occasional SE shave so I can put up with the extra effort every now and then. I'll tell you, that first shave with a fresh blade in a 1912 is really fine one. Comfortable and close!!

Marty E.

Top Bottom