What's new

SE Aggressiveness Index

I am really loving the SE life. I like the new blades I got (see here for that thread) and the Gem Micromatic bullet tip seems to be made for my face. And I've used a lot of razors - all kinds. So, I finally hit a sweet spot - "a" not "the" - and I'm wondering where on the continuum the bullet tip would fall as far as aggressiveness. These Gems don't seem to have as many variables as DE razors do. There, you can find a wide range of levels - of course, even adjustables. But SEs seem different. This bullet tip has a nice heft to it, maybe more than my 1912. I like it. But it doesn't seem to stick out as far as my other Micromatic, and it sure doesn't seem as aggressive as my OC Micromatic.

SE razors are all kinds of different from DEs. I wonder has anyone thought of grading aggressiveness on these tools? Likely be a subjective venture, but SEs seem to have their variants in a way similar to DEs. One criteria in terms of aggression that might prove interesting would be the blades. With all razors, the razor plus blades equals the performance. DE users have loads of options; SE users not so much. Getting to the point. With just the one variable - all things being equal with the blade - it might be interesting to see if there were a way to gauge aggressiveness with SE razors.

Just a thought.

Either way, I'm loving my bullet tip and intend to keep honing my skills with it. Might be nice to play around with another to see the nuances between the two, since I've got the blades I want. I may try a push button, as I think the weight would play in there. Wonder if anyone else would like to add their thoughts.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Either way, I'm loving my bullet tip and intend to keep honing my skills with it. Might be nice to play around with another to see the nuances between the two, since I've got the blades I want. I may try a push button, as I think the weight would play in there. Wonder if anyone else would like to add their thoughts.
I was kind of like you when I first started using Gem razors and kind of kept track of how I felt they performed as a Greenhorn so I will share some this information. There are lots of different ASR razors Gem, Ever-Ready, Treet & Star brands that used the Gem Personna blades.
These photo charts are just a reasonable ball park accuracy and other folks have mentioned they are reasonble placing of the razors aggression and efficentcy. I have been using these razors all over the last 4 years (hundreds of shaves)and they are of reasonable placing.
( old archived photo's of common & easy ASR razors to buy at Antique stores, estate sales and on line big Auction house.)
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Hope they help in your SE journey!
Everready 1914 VS Everady 1924 Samsung2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I was kind of like you when I first started using Gem razors and kind of kept track of how I felt they performed as a Greenhorn so I will share some this information. There are lots of different ASR razors Gem, Ever-Ready, Treet & Star brands that used the Gem Personna blades.
These photo charts are just a reasonable ball park accuracy and other folks have mentioned they are reasonble placing of the razors aggression and efficentcy. I have been using these razors all over the last 4 years (hundreds of shaves)and they are of reasonable placing.
( old archived photo's of common & easy ASR razors to buy at Antique stores, estate sales and on line big Auction house.)
View attachment 1609440

Hope they help in your SE journey!
View attachment 1609441
Have some great shaves!
I have found this to be extremely helpful! It helped me quickly and easily get an understanding of how different GEM razors compare. Greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Top Bottom