What's new

Scythe?

The blade of a European scythe isn't quite as robust as with an America. Note that the blade is thin, and, IIRC, has a curve in the blade itself. The American blade is flat, IIRC, and stouter. That sounds like more what you'd need for small brush. The curve of an American scythe is different from a European, and that's been criticized in some circles. Will note that the American scythe could be mounted with a cradle to catch grain; don't know if that's possible with a European scythe.

A powered option would be a sicklebar mower. For smaller stuff, maybe a trimmer mower, which is essentially a trimmer with thicker line powered by a four-stroke engine and mounted on a wheeled frame. If your land is rocky, that will break the teeth on a sicklebar.

So if you look at Scythesupply.com under blades you will see yes the simple mowing blade is not good for what I need, but they sell what they call tops blades, ditch blades and brush blades which would be well suited for my needs. I also noticed they have what is called a Senssichel (Scythe Sickle) which might also work. Doesn't have to be peened to sharpen and cost way less than a full setup. It would require more low lying work on my part. The japanese sickle maybe easier to use not sure. I am still wondering about the basic weed cutter the manual one you swing. If that would work or not. I like the Scythe, but all in for the peening and sharpening stuff with shipping really adds up around $200 or more. I will need to hack this stuff down 3 or more times before the die off in the fall. Need to make sure it is cut before it has a chance to seed too. Those little buggers seeds are viable for seven years.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My neighbor planted some hay on one of my little fields a while back. He reaped it with a scythe but I had no idea there were different types of scythes. But, as I recall, his goats had a Scottish accent after eating that hay.

Top Bottom