What's new

scuttles

IMG_20220814_134441974_HDR.jpg

You have probably seen them. They were used long ago before the Scuttle came along. I use it to soak my brush in warm water. Then when I lather I dump out the water and fill it with hot water. The porcelain is very thin so the transfer of heat is no issue. Then just lay the soapy brush knot in the top and my brush stays warm and the lather doesn't fade.

It has to be the heat. I always use a scuttle, but to keep the lather cold. I've never had a problem with lather deteriorating.

It has to be the heat. I always use a scuttle, but to keep the lather cold. I've never had a problem with lather deteriorating.
Cold you say? Why, just preference? I never thought to do that here in Phoenix during our hottest months. Sometimes I'm not that smart ;)

Cold you say? Why, just preference? I never thought to do that here in Phoenix during our hottest months. Sometimes I'm not that smart ;)
It's just refreshing, even in the winter. Plus, the cold keeps the skin tighter and for me leads to a smoother shave. I keep my scuttle in the refrigerator year round.

Now when hot weather comes around there is nothing like slapping a cold brush filled with mentholated lather on your face. :biggrin1:

It's just refreshing, even in the winter. Plus, the cold keeps the skin tighter and for me leads to a smoother shave. I keep my scuttle in the refrigerator year round.

Now when hot weather comes around there is nothing like slapping a cold brush filled with mentholated lather on your face. :biggrin1:
I'm so intrigued. I never thought about cold lather. I H-A-T-E cold!!! I mean it, I'm wearing a jacket and a hat once the first number on the thermometer has a 7. A scuttle in the fridge? I'm going to give this a try. I'm always up for an adventure. Oh and BTW I'll let the wife know you said it was OK to now take up refrigerator space for shaving as well ;)

... Oh and BTW I'll let the wife know you said it was OK to now take up refrigerator space for shaving as well ;)
What do you mean it was OK? That is where I have been keeping my stash of soaps and aftershave balms and splashes, in the fridge. One half of a shelf belongs to shaving stuff. Where do you store yours?

Just set expectations right from start so there are no surprises.

proxy.php

:biggrin1:

What do you mean it was OK? That is where I have been keeping my stash of soaps and aftershave balms and splashes, in the fridge. One half of a shelf belongs to shaving stuff. Where do you store yours?

Just set expectations right from start so there are no surprises.

proxy.php

:biggrin1:
Now I have an excuse to rid myself of this wife and find a new one. I didn't set it up properly from the start. hehehe

Oh boy. What have I done? I do that to people sometimes, set them on the wrong path...
Here is one to consider. Keep the wife and get a bigger fridge. How does that sound?:biggrin1:
Unless you need an excuse...

Oh boy. What have I done? I do that to people sometimes, set them on the wrong path...
Here is one to consider. Keep the wife and get a bigger fridge. How does that sound?:biggrin1:
Unless you need an excuse...
I just bought a new fridge in May! Maybe I should get a mini fridge for three bathroom? Wait, that's kind of gross 🤢

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I just bought a new fridge in May! Maybe I should get a mini fridge for three bathroom? Wait, that's kind of gross 🤢

You ain't lookin' at this right. You need a beer fridge in the john. Gotta have a nice cool one while catching up on your reading, and it also gives you a nice place to store soaps and scuttles.

Glad we had this conversation.

O.H.
...and no, I'm not serious.

I follow a careful procedure w/my stainless steel scuttle when preparing to shave. Note that I specifically got a stainless steel scuttle b/c I'm a major klutz, + I know that clumsiness + ceramic are not the best combination.

1. Start the hot water running.
2. Put the scuttle in the sink + fill it w/hot water.
3. Wash my face while the basin fills.
4. Put the shave cream + brush I intend to use in the basin.
5. Turn off the faucet while I take a warm shower.
6. Splash out all but a splash of hot water from the base of the scuttle.
7. Add a squeeze of shave cream to the scuttle.
8. Squeeze out the brush + use it to whip up a nice, warm lather.
9. Shave...

Any questions?
-Z

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Sure. Gave me a reason to scrub it, but note that the electric toothbrush I was using died before I was done.

I like that! The Lather Pit is a narrow space. I can touch my elbows to opposite walls at the same time. I occasionally bump things or drop them, so ceramic and glass are things I don't take in there often. Who made it?

O.H.

I like that! The Lather Pit is a narrow space. I can touch my elbows to opposite walls at the same time. I occasionally bump things or drop them, so ceramic and glass are things I don't take in there often. Who made it?

O.H.
Naked Armor:

Top Bottom