What's new

scuttles

For those who regularly use scuttles, can you let me know
1: how much soap do you use per shave?
2: Is there a particular brand or soap that you like using more for hot/warm lather?

I have only tried with WSP Tobacco T-Formula.

Tough one to give you a definitive answer. I've used a scuttle daily for years. With creams, I measure 1/4 teaspoon, but honestly, I probably could use less than that. With soaps, I just load the brush bristles and whip up the lather in the scuttle. No way to tell you how much soap I use by doing this.

I use Vitos products exclusively. A 1000 ml block lasts me about two years.

I use a scuttle daily. Most of the time I load the brush directly from the puck. When I do use a scoop, it is usually start with about half a cubic centimeter.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Soap per shave depends on a few things, including how thin you like your lather, your water and your particular soap. For my lather (medium), water and soap (MdC or WK) I load on the puck for 6-10 seconds, but putting a dollop of soap in the bottom of the scuttle works as well. If you go that route mashing the soap as flat as you can get it speeds up the process.

There are definitely a few soaps/creams that don't like the heat (I use hot tap water, but mine is pretty hot - around 135 degrees F). SV was a surprising one for me - just did not work well in the scuttle with hot water. Many years ago I remember that Proraso cream would sometimes dry out a bit after a pass or two, but a few drops of water put it right again.

I use the same amount of soap I would use for face lathering, if that helps. Most of the soaps I've tried in the scuttle have been fine - except SV (I have not used WSP). A little experimenting will get you home. I'd start a little heavy with the soap and cut back day by day until I found perfection.

The only thing I had to adjust a little when going to a warm leather was the amount of water. Warmer leather is less viscous, so I'd add a bit less water.

I've used a Scuttle many times but mainly for testing soap samples. I will scrap out all of the sample and smash it into the bottom of the scuttle or bowl and use it until it's gone. As far as soap amounts, I find if I need more than 0.5grams then that soap doesn't make the grade.

I use a Captains Choice Copper Bowl. I did use various ceramic skuttles for years, the CC Copper is much better for me. How much soap? it depends on the soap. This morning I used about a dime serving of Saponificio Varesino and had more soap than needed.
I place the dime-sized serving firmly on the bottom of the bowl and use a damp brush to start the process adding water as the soap is distributed around the bottom of the bowl.

Finally get a Captain‘s Choice scuttle 😍

Import pottery is always a gamble. My country have a terrible slow post service (took 3 months to be delivered) and the postmen are so tough with the boxes. But the Captain packed the scuttle so well, a lot of cushioning.

599321CC-9B02-4556-903B-6FDDA6F1F5C5.jpeg
8D5129B7-D499-4BF2-92D9-FBAB9E21D398.jpeg

I use a scuttle every shave now. It is so nice when it's winter. I don't bowl lather, but load from the puck and put the brush in the top of the scuttle and the brush/soap heats up and it's amazing. I recommend it.

For those who regularly use scuttles, can you let me know
1: how much soap do you use per shave?
2: Is there a particular brand or soap that you like using more for hot/warm lather?

I have only tried with WSP Tobacco T-Formula.
1. The same amount as when using a regular shaving bowl. I don't see any connection between using a scuttle and the amount of soap used as it makes no difference.
2. No, I like warm lather during colder season regardless of the soaps I use.

I use a Georgetown 20oz scuttle every day now and will switch back to a stainless bowl sometime during the next spring. I use the scuttle to provide warm lather, nothing more, nothing less.
Actually I lie. I have two GP scuttles that I enjoy using also due to their esthetic appearance. There is only that much stainless one can stomach in everyday life. My scuttles bring art into shaving, and that means joy to me.
I also consider Georgetown Pottery scuttles the best scuttles in the market, today.

For those of you who use a Scuttle, do you have the same problem I do? I whip up my lather into a perfect froth, then I do a pass on my face. when I come back to the scuttle, the lather has deflated and needs to be re-whipped again. this seems to happen everytime regardless of the soap I use.

No, it never happens to me. I am not sure if froth and lather belong in the same sentence.
Agreed. I can whip up a beautiful rich lather in my scuttles. I frequently use B&M soaps which make a wonderful yogurt-like lather. However in between shave passes, I find the lather breaks - it looks almost like meringue that's broken.

Its the heat. It happens. Heat starts to dry out the lather quickly. But a couple drops of hot water and work it back to creamy and your set.

I stop this by using a brush bowl. The type that holds the hot water underneath and the cup you set you brush in has holes. So the heat and moisture comes up through the holes and keeps my brush warm.
But its not a scuttle. I make lather on my face and store it in my brush.

For those of you who use a Scuttle, do you have the same problem I do? I whip up my lather into a perfect froth, then I do a pass on my face. when I come back to the scuttle, the lather has deflated and needs to be re-whipped again. this seems to happen everytime regardless of the soap I use.
I am a scuttle user as well. I use soaps and creams (not at the same time ;) ). I also make my own soaps. I don't want to sound snarky and please know I'm not try to. Why is this a problem? Pass number 2 only needs a couple drops of water and a few vigorous passes through the scuttle in order to get the lather back to warm luxury. Are you concerned that there is a problem with re-whipped soap? Are you worried about your technique? Are you finding that you don't get the proper lubrication on pass 2 or 3 and are concerned that it has something to do with the soap drying out?

...I stop this by using a brush bowl. The type that holds the hot water underneath and the cup you set you brush in has holes. So the heat and moisture comes up through the holes and keeps my brush warm...
Would you be so kind and post a picture of your brush bowl? I have never seen one and I find the concept interesting. Or maybe I have seen it but didn't know what it was.
Thank you.

I use a scuttle, but not daily … yet. I also ditched my lather bowl for the scuttle, so I use one tool for either job.

For samples, I just smear in an almond size bit of soap. Or I will load off the puck and build lather in the scuttle.

I shave mostly with a SR, so I keep my lather wetter and low structure. Haven’t really had any lather issues, just adjust water as needed.

I am a scuttle user as well. I use soaps and creams (not at the same time ;) ). I also make my own soaps. I don't want to sound snarky and please know I'm not try to. Why is this a problem? Pass number 2 only needs a couple drops of water and a few vigorous passes through the scuttle in order to get the lather back to warm luxury. Are you concerned that there is a problem with re-whipped soap? Are you worried about your technique? Are you finding that you don't get the proper lubrication on pass 2 or 3 and are concerned that it has something to do with the soap drying out?
It's not a problem, just an odd phenomenon. This never happens with my regular shave bowls - it only seems to happen with my scuttles. I was just wondering if others had this same thing or if somehow it was just me. To your point, it's not hard to whip it back up, and honestly, the extra whipping helps reheat the lather in the bowl.

Top Bottom