What's new

Scuttle Recommendations, Please

Hello everyone, I had a nice Georgetown scuttle that I recently dropped and broke :frown:

I was thinking about replacing it with another one, but I'm not so sure...

Things I liked:
- Aesthetics: This thing was beautiful
- Ergonomics: It fit my hand perfectly
- Performance: It built lather like a dream

Thinks I didn't like:
- Lather did NOT stay warm
- It was huge/heavy

I'm wondering if you guys could help me find a scuttle that provided the things that I liked about my Georgetown and addressed those things that I didn't really like.

Thanks in advance :001_smile

H

Hanzo

I have a G3 and a Schwarzweisskeramik , the German scuttle. Mamabear now carries the German scuttles making them more affordable.The German scuttle out performs the G3, keeping the lather warmer , giving you a larger ,deeper bowl and the big spout is a water resource so you can shave at the window if you want. The drawback for you is the German is larger than the G3. Aesthetically the G3's glaze is prettier and it feels heavier.

Laurie at GT made scuttles to order limited to individualized art work. You could ask for that and you know of course the lady at Dirty Bird also makes scuttles to order with your own design specs.

Good luck with your search. I see you on SRP , like your posts.

I have just started to make some scuttles and have made several different kinds. I posted a pic of my first one I made. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100738 I will have some more by the end of the week, I have been playing around making little changes and some different glazing techniques. I have made a couple that are one piece, and several that are two piece. I have not tried a one piece scuttle yet, I have to wait till the end of the week......but so far I really like the two piece one I made. I keep lather nice and warm for at least 3-4 passes.

I put water in both sections, pop it in the microwave for 1.30 secs, put my brush in to bloom, shower, reserve the hot water from the top for adding to lather, and start the shave. Personally I would not want to shave anymore without a scuttle, I really like the warm lather on all of my passes.

I am surprised with your comment that your lather did not stay warm. I fill my G3 with boiling water in the cavity and the bowl. I soak my brush in the bowl while I'm taking a shower. After showering I remove my brush, empty the scuttle and refill the cavity with boiling water. Keeps my lather warm for 2 to 3 passes.

I would also suggest Dirty Bird, it was my second choice when I was deciding on a scuttle.

Lots of luck.

I bought a DB Brush Scuttle and matching lather bowl a few months ago ... I don't use it too much anymore.

First off, the receptacle is a bit small for my brush (B&B Essential.) It would fit something like a C&E BBB or a chubby just fine.

Second, I find it adds far too much time to my shaving routine, what with boiling water on the stove, filling and re-filling the scuttle, etc. More trouble than its worth, but it does produce a nice, warm, satisfying lather when applied to my face. It holds heat for a good long time, enough for 3 or 4 passes at least.

Third, the three piece design is a bit awkward for me to use. YMMV.

The lather bowl works great. The ridges in the bottom whip up a good mix with very little effort, using an up-down pumping motion. The inner lip keeps all the lather inside the bowl, where it should be.

When I get another scuttle, I will probably go for a one-piece design to save some space on the counter and keep everything all in one place. Getting another scuttle is not a high-priority for me, as I've mostly been face-lathering by hand, skipping the brush altogether.

I've been thinking about selling this, if you're interested. Just because it didn't work for me, it might be perfect for you or another shaver. Its a Blue one. PM if interested.

Moss Scuttles by Sara Bonnyman are in my book the best. I have one other and it is ok but not in the same league. I bought a bowl and small scuttle and it has been the one that use when I want warm lather. I was not to sure about the bowl when I got it but I can make huge amounts of lather and recharge my brush after each face application, I love this setup. If the Scuttle is to big then the brush will not hit the sides of the scuttle to transfer heat. I have a 24mm Rooney and it fits very well. Expensive? Yes, but how many do you see for sale on B&B? I have to think there are a lot of them out there but that would be speculation on my part.

Take Care,
Richard

I have a G3 and a Schwarzweisskeramik , the German scuttle. Mamabear now carries the German scuttles making them more affordable.The German scuttle out performs the G3, keeping the lather warmer , giving you a larger ,deeper bowl and the big spout is a water resource so you can shave at the window if you want. The drawback for you is the German is larger than the G3. Aesthetically the G3's glaze is prettier and it feels heavier.

Laurie at GT made scuttles to order limited to individualized art work. You could ask for that and you know of course the lady at Dirty Bird also makes scuttles to order with your own design specs.

Good luck with your search. I see you on SRP , like your posts.

Thanks Hanzo. I'll check out the German scuttle and possibly contact Laurie too.

I am surprised with your comment that your lather did not stay warm. I fill my G3 with boiling water in the cavity and the bowl. I soak my brush in the bowl while I'm taking a shower. After showering I remove my brush, empty the scuttle and refill the cavity with boiling water. Keeps my lather warm for 2 to 3 passes.

I would also suggest Dirty Bird, it was my second choice when I was deciding on a scuttle.

Lots of luck.

Do many people really take the time to boil their water? I have scalding water out of the sink, and I don't expect the lather to stay warm while I take a shower, I just want to be able to fill my scuttle with scalding water and start shaving... That seems like a whole lot of extra work (especially since, I have no way of boiling water upstairs where I shave)

I bought a DB Brush Scuttle and matching lather bowl a few months ago ... I don't use it too much anymore.

First off, the receptacle is a bit small for my brush (B&B Essential.) It would fit something like a C&E BBB or a chubby just fine.

Second, I find it adds far too much time to my shaving routine, what with boiling water on the stove, filling and re-filling the scuttle, etc. More trouble than its worth, but it does produce a nice, warm, satisfying lather when applied to my face. It holds heat for a good long time, enough for 3 or 4 passes at least.

Third, the three piece design is a bit awkward for me to use. YMMV.

The lather bowl works great. The ridges in the bottom whip up a good mix with very little effort, using an up-down pumping motion. The inner lip keeps all the lather inside the bowl, where it should be.

When I get another scuttle, I will probably go for a one-piece design to save some space on the counter and keep everything all in one place. Getting another scuttle is not a high-priority for me, as I've mostly been face-lathering by hand, skipping the brush altogether.

I've been thinking about selling this, if you're interested. Just because it didn't work for me, it might be perfect for you or another shaver. Its a Blue one. PM if interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I forgot to mention that I would definitely prefer a one piece unit.

No problems with my Georgetown V4 scuttle. I fill with hot water before taking a shower. I then empty and refill with hot water before making my lather. It easily keeps the lather warm for 3, 4, or 5 passes.

I have the large Moss Scuttle, and love it. It is HEAVY, but worth it. It is a one piece. I have no trouble lathering both soaps and creams in the scuttle. I just use scalding hot water out of the tap. I highly recommend it.

I also have a lathering bowl from Dirty Bird. I have not tried their scuttle, but the lathering bowl is very well made. I like the glazing better on the DB than the Moss.

I don't think you can go wrong with a product from either DB or Moss.

Good luck on your hunt.

I have the large Moss Scuttle, and love it. It is HEAVY, but worth it. It is a one piece. I have no trouble lathering both soaps and creams in the scuttle. I just use scalding hot water out of the tap. I highly recommend it.

I also have a lathering bowl from Dirty Bird. I have not tried their scuttle, but the lathering bowl is very well made. I like the glazing better on the DB than the Moss.

I don't think you can go wrong with a product from either DB or Moss.

Good luck on your hunt.

That was really a helpful post. Thanks a lot!

Dirty Bird now makes a double size scuttle with a supposed 44 oz. reservoir. I'd like to hear thoughts on that from someone who has used it. Seems massive, in a good way.

Rich,

I hear you about your thoughts on boiling the water...thats my beef with my GtP v4. I can get warm water only if I take even more time to boil the water, fill the pot and inner bowl, shower, boil the water again...etc.

I've heard almost 100% positive reviews of the Moss...thinking about asking for one for my B-Day for a comparison test before I state my own thoughts...

Rich,

I hear you about your thoughts on boiling the water...thats my beef with my GtP v4. I can get warm water only if I take even more time to boil the water, fill the pot and inner bowl, shower, boil the water again...etc.

I've heard almost 100% positive reviews of the Moss...thinking about asking for one for my B-Day for a comparison test before I state my own thoughts...

When's your b-day? I'm probably going to be ordering soon :lol:

I think I'm going to probably go with the Moss. Unless someone has something positive to say about the other ones that I need to know.

Dirty Bird now makes a double size scuttle with a supposed 44 oz. reservoir. I'd like to hear thoughts on that from someone who has used it. Seems massive, in a good way.
The double size DB scuttle seems like massive over-kill.

Julie is now making a 1.5x scuttle for $54 ... I'm not sure how much water it holds. But it sounds like it might be the right size for those that need something larger than the standard 12oz size.

Good call on the Moss, Paul. That'll do a fantastic job of keeping your lather warm. If you'd like a nice lather bowl to go with it (alongside memories of your dearly departed GTP scuttle), GTP makes outstanding lather bowls, both covered and uncovered. Last I checked they weren't on the website, but a simple call will put you in business.

I can't offer any comparison as I have only the Moss scuttle (large) that I bought from Sara. Its beautifully made, and she was a joy to deal with. It was very expensive to ship, though.

Top Bottom