What's new

Scuttle popularity

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I watch quite a few shaving videos and very rarely see the use of a scuttle. Are they effective at keeping the lather warm or not. Having never tried one I pulled the trigger on a Qshave at Amazon to see for myself.

Cynically, I think they are in too big of a hurry to enjoy their shave. Or worried about photo worthy lather. You should be able to keep your lather warm unless you live in a cabin with air coming through the walls! I hope it works out for you. If not, just put it in a large pot of hot water in between passes.

When used properly, they can be effective. Some soaps and cres don't handle heat well and will break down.

I use a brush scuttle, but only to soak and apply my initial bit of tubed cream. I don't fill the outer reservoir. The brush soaking in hot water keeps my lather warm enough for my one pass shave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think some people expect a scuttle to provide a hot towel type shaving experience, and that just isn't the case.
The lather can certainly be kept warm, and it's better than it cooling off between passes, but it isn't and wasn't intended to be a hot steaming lather experience.
It's nice on a cold morning, but isn't critical to your shave by any means.

I've been using a scuttle for years. It's more a part of the ritual than anything else, and I agree with Phil on his view above. The lather instantly loses heat the minute it's applied to the face. Doesn't take long to match your face temperature or the surrounding air.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I've been using a scuttle for years. It's more a part of the ritual than anything else, and I agree with Phil on his view above. The lather instantly loses heat the minute it's applied to the face. Doesn't take long to match your face temperature or the surrounding air.
I understand the ritual part of the experience. My shave is almost a spiritual experience.
Now that I don’t have to shave, I enjoy my daily shave.

Yes they will keep later warm but you will need fairly hot water. Bath temp. water does not do much, if anything. Scuttles are all different sizes too so a small one will not keep hot water hot as long as a larger scuttle.

My scuttle has a brush soaker so that provides a great source of hot water to add to the later, as well as actually soaking the brush of course.

It also keeps everything in one place- the lather bowl, the water for building the lather and mine is deep enough to prevent any lather from 'escaping'.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
When used properly, they can be effective. Some soaps and cres don't handle heat well and will break down.

I use a brush scuttle, but only to soak and apply my initial bit of tubed cream. I don't fill the outer reservoir. The brush soaking in hot water keeps my lather warm enough for my one pass shave.
I tried the scuttle today. It warmed the lather for sure. It wasn’t like the hot lather machine at the barber shop when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. Even kids got the hot lather around the ears and the straight razor finishing touch. That was a treat for me as most of my haircuts took place in the kitchen.
Sorry I went down memory lane for a while. What I really wanted to comment on was the lather. I tend to agree. My lather was not as rich as I was accustomed to. It didn’t peak the way it usually does.

I have got an unbreakable paa one and it’s heat conductivity is not great so it does not allow supper hot lather and as other mentioned a lot of soaps will disintegrate if you heat them. But to keep your brush warm it is ok. For warm lather I prefer heating up my 1kg mortar as a bowl which is a great heat sink.

Still want a dedicated brush scuttle since I lather more and more on the face

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I think some people expect a scuttle to provide a hot towel type shaving experience, and that just isn't the case.
The lather can certainly be kept warm, and it's better than it cooling off between passes, but it isn't and wasn't intended to be a hot steaming lather experience.
It's nice on a cold morning, but isn't critical to your shave by any means.

This. I enjoy using one from about the time it starts getting into the 30-40's in the morning, until it warms up in the spring, then I put it away until the next cold season. Doesn't really add any time to the shave (if you fill the sink to shave, like I do), and warm lather (not hot, Phil is absolutely correct) is more comfy for me on cool mornings. Most lathers hold up OK as it's not really hot.

Definitely not necessary, but it's something you might want to try. I like them.

My barber uses an electric lather dispenser. The lather comes out quite toasty. I think warm lather is mostly overrated and shave scuttles aren't that important, in fact, they take up space, are prone to breakage, and its just one more thing to keep clean and rinse. I can't imagine a chunk of pottery is going to heat your lather up enough, anyway. Take a hot shower before you shave and you don't need warm lather.

I purchased a scuttle about 10 years ago and used it for a month or so. Slowed down my shave and I did not notice any difference in shave results. Took it out from under the sink to put in the get rid of pile.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A scuttle certainly isn't something "necessary" to a good shave, but honestly - ask yourself how much of the stuff you have crammed in drawers, cupboards, shelves, closets and cabinets throughout your house that is really "necessary" to your day to day living.
It's a nice, fairly easy way to keep the brush and lather warm between passes on a chilly fall/winter morning, but there are obviously other means possible, and it certainly isn't a "must have" item.

Top Bottom